Netflix might be adding a new tier, Netflix Ultra and it might be bad for premium users

Master Disaster

Some Netflix subscribers have reported seeing a new tier show up on their Netflix account and a spokeswoman for the company has confirmed that Netflix are currently testing a new subscription tier to some of its users

Netflix may be introducing a new, higher tier of service.

Known as Ultra, the new tier would allow four devices to receive Ultra HD video and audio streaming simultaneously, according to Italian blog Tutto Android.

Netflix currently has three subscription plans: $7.99 Basic, $10.99 Standard and $13.99 Premium. Basic allows users to watch Netflix on one screen at a time; Standard allows viewing on two screens; and Premium allows four screens. Screens can be TVs, laptops, tablets or smartphones.

"We continuously test new things at Netflix and these tests typically vary in length of time," Smita Saran, a Netflix spokeswoman, said in an email. "In this case, we are testing slightly different price points and features to better understand how consumers value Netflix."

Not all Netflix subscribers will see the test and the company may not ever offer the specific price points or features being tested, Saran said.

Called Netflix Ultra it allows subs to watch 4K content on upto 4 screens simultaneously but there's a catch, Italian promotional material appears to show that users who subscribe to the Premium tier will see a reduction from 4 simultaneous screens to only 2 and standard plan users would also go from 2 to 1.

Netflix-Ultra-02-Ultra-Pricing-740x524.p

The Ultra plan may affect some aspects of the current Premium plan, according to PhoneArena. Some Italian users say "promotional material" from Netflix indicates the new plan would halve the number of screens Premium users can use simultaneously from four to two, PhoneArena reports. Similarly, the Standard plan may be downgraded to just one display.

Ultra would be priced at €16.99 in Italy. That's about $19.80.

https://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-rumored-to-be-introducing-new-ultra-plan/

Ouch, halving everyones screens is a pretty dick move imo. Why couldn't they let Ultra subs have 6 screens instead?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Why couldn't they let Ultra subs have 6 screens instead?

More $$$s.

Netflix already stated that there is no Ultra tier, thi is a test to see if people would be willing to go for an ultra tier, if you order it you will get the regular premium one fir the regular price.

Even if this was released, *current* premium subs would still get all they pay for, you wouldn't be retroactively downgraded. It would only apply for people who lapse and then resub, or folk that are new to the platform.

It's a good way to make people feel obligated to stay grandfathered into a no-longer-available plan.

Still, I always wished there was something between Standard and Premium for people who don't have multiple 4k screens... like a standard+ that allows 1x 4k stream and up to 3 HD streams at once, for something between the cost of Standard and Premium. Adding a higher tier and bumping everything else down seems like a step back.

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Called Netflix Ultra it allows subs to watch 4K content on upto 4 screens simultaneously but there's a catch, Italian promotional material appears to show that users who subscribe to the Premium tier will see a reduction from 4 simultaneous screens to only 2 and standard plan users would also go from 2 to 1.

So Ultra allows 4 screens and Ultra HD content, which is exactly what Premium is right now?

image.png.d48408fde713ce59d40d665d6d238e86.png

Kind of a dick move if they make it so if you want to stream to more than one screen that you need to buy the more expensive Ultra HD package.
As per the Netflix recommendations for the speed required for streaming their content, it is 5mbps per 1080p stream, but 25mbps per UltraHD stream. This means that there may be people who are unable to stream a single UltraHD stream reliably, but who are still able to stream multiple 1080p streams to different devices without issue.

image.png.ff42d777c6ddfd5bdc04fa5727708efa.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Hold on. You don't even get HD for the basic package! 

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

23 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

Netflix already stated that there is no Ultra tier, thi is a test to see if people would be willing to go for an ultra tier, if you order it you will get the regular premium one fir the regular price.

Read the post, they've said nothing of the sorts...

"We continuously test new things at Netflix and these tests typically vary in length of time," Smita Saran, a Netflix spokeswoman, said in an email. "In this case, we are testing slightly different price points and features to better understand how consumers value Netflix."

Not all Netflix subscribers will see the test and the company may not ever offer the specific price points or features being tested, Saran said.

Also notice I used the word MIGHT twice in the thread title. If they've already got promotional material ready and are currently testing it it's a safe assumption that they're near to roll out phase.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

59 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Why couldn't they let Ultra subs have 6 screens instead?

because families dont need that much, so thatd only be a step towards account sharing which they dont want

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

39 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Read the post, they've said nothing of the sorts...

they did just not in your source, this german technology site asked Netfilx for a statement and got the reply that the Ultra tier is just a test and can not be ordered.

https://www.golem.de/news/streaming-netflix-bringt-aktuell-kein-neues-teureres-abo-1807-135311.html

Pretty weird move considering it’s not costing Netflix anything in most instances for you to stream content.

Reed Hastings likes to tell the story that he came up with the idea for Netflix after Blockbuster charged him a ridiculous late fee for Apollo 13. Seems he has forgotten that feeling when a company nickles and dimes you.

Reed, if you or any of your minions is reading this, stop it right now. If you want to raise fees, do it in an above board, across the board fashion. You've got a lot of competition these days, and how ironic if the next thing that kills your company is thought up by someone who's left with a bad taste in their mouths by your new policy.

9 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Pretty weird move considering it’s not costing Netflix anything in most instances for you to stream content.

It's actually costing them a lot. 

Bandwidth, power and upkeep costs quite a bit. 

It's also not just about covering costs. They have to make profits too. They could have a single tier, allowing UHD and 50 screens, for 1 dollar a year, but the company would go bankrupt. 

15 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Meanwhile I pay about $0 and no ads, to watch Youtube 4K60 back to back on unlimited devices

But Netflix requires you to pay more than basic tier to even watch HD. lol wtf gg

Making America great again

i can go outside and see everything for free in unlimited K's with insane fps. What is that comparison about, youtube and Netflix. And YT now has shows and you have to pay to see them.

7 minutes ago, asus killer said:

And YT now has shows and you have to pay to see them.

Majority of the YouTube Premium shows are meh

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

and standard plan users would also go from 2 to 1

Ouch! I pay standard Netflix. I stream cartoons and other kid shows on the big TV when the kids are around to shut them up and I use the other one for myself. :(

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It's actually costing them a lot. 

Bandwidth, power and upkeep costs quite a bit. 

It's also not just about covering costs. They have to make profits too. They could have a single tier, allowing UHD and 50 screens, for 1 dollar a year, but the company would go bankrupt. 

That's incorrect. Most ISPs have local cache's of Netflix content and stream from their local data centre to their customers, the only bandwidth Netflix uses is copying the video content to the cache (see: https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/how-netflix-works-with-isps-around-the-globe-to-deliver-a-great-viewing-experience).

32 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

That's incorrect. Most ISPs have local cache's of Netflix content and stream from their local data centre to their customers, the only bandwidth Netflix uses is copying the video content to the cache (see: https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/how-netflix-works-with-isps-around-the-globe-to-deliver-a-great-viewing-experience).

And you think ISPs do this for free? Something that I havent seen mentioned is the fact Netflix needs to cover their cost for originals and copyrights one way or another. With the increased amount of competition in virtually all regions, pricing of license fees should have presumably gone up.

Seems like a good deal. You can share the account with another friend.

36 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Seems like a good deal. You can share the account with another friend.

How is €3 more for no added functionality a good deal? Unless they are gonna start officially allowing sharing, instead of the current stance of "we dont like it but cant stop it" there would only be a pricehike concealed within a new tier.

Honestly, the only reason someone uses the ultra tier is for sharing so fair enough. Its still alot cheaper than 4 basic tier subscriptions.

2 hours ago, QBtech said:

And you think ISPs do this for free? Something that I havent seen mentioned is the fact Netflix needs to cover their cost for originals and copyrights one way or another. With the increased amount of competition in virtually all regions, pricing of license fees should have presumably gone up.

Of course ISPs do it for free, it’s in their best interest to keep utilisation down and away from their large interconnects otherwise they would quickly run out of available bandwidth.

28 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Of course ISPs do it for free, it’s in their best interest to keep utilisation down and away from their large interconnects otherwise they would quickly run out of available bandwidth.

That is a very big, and very wrong, assumption. 

Netflix is paying some ISPs (Verizon among others) to have their open Connect servers inside their datacenters. 

I recommend you look into it a bit more before telling others they are wrong. 

One more reason not to use it, i ditched them as soon as they banned my phone because its rooted...

13 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Meanwhile I pay about $0 and no ads, to watch Youtube 4K60 back to back on unlimited devices

But Netflix requires you to pay more than basic tier to even watch HD. lol wtf gg

Making America great again

Apples to fucking cookies. Your point makes literally no sense, especially considering that Hollywood's always been composed of greedy fucks. Ever wonder why S-VHS never took off?

And the music industry is as dirty as Hollywood. i.e. Digital Audio Tape

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Coming soon to Netflix: the Omega Supreme tier. For only $50 per month, you get unlimited streaming for up to two devices in ultra crisp HD 720p.

What if YouTube made it to where they charged you monthly to watch video's in 4k....

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D