A Microsoft Surface... in your pocket???

Monkeybiz0985

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/29/17518582/microsoft-surface-dual-screen-andromeda-device-pocketable

So at some point people in the future people may be asking, “Is that your Surface, or are you happy to see me?”

Microsoft has been working on a new mysterious Surface device for at least two years. Codenamed Andromeda, the device has appeared in patentsreports, and in operating system references multiple times and will include a dual-display design. According to a Microsoft internal document obtained by The Verge, it’s also going to be a pocketable Surface device.

Microsoft views Andromeda as a unique response to its failures with Windows Phone devices. “It will blur the lines between mobile and stationary computing,” reads one internal document describing the device. Microsoft is tentatively planning to release Andromeda in 2018, with similar devices from some of Microsoft’s top OEMs to “follow afterwards.

I honestly would seriously look into buying one of these if it is indeed a second Microsoft incursion into the mobile/cellular space. Make this thing run a full version of Windows, and not a mobile “lite” version... that would be prettty bad ass.

*edited for spelling/grammar

3 minutes ago, Monkeybiz0985 said:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/29/17518582/microsoft-surface-dual-screen-andromeda-device-pocketable

So at some point people in the future people may be asking, “Is that your Surface, or are you happy to see me?”

I honestly would seriously look into buying one of these if it is indeed a second Microsoft incursion into the mobile/cellular space. Make this thing run a full version of Windows, and not a mobile “lite” version... that would be prettty bad ass.

*edited for spelling/grammar

Market research must show some sort of demand for mobile full windows. Because it's not just MS who keep sinking money into the field looking for a winner.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The thing that will sell it for me is if it comes with some sort of Samsung Dex type feature and supports the surface dock/connector. If they make the new device powerful enough, it could be perfect for businesses that have both laptops and mobiles.

I ilke trains.

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Market research must show some sort of demand for mobile full windows. Because it's not just MS who keep sinking money into the field looking for a winner.

I think if they are intending this to make headway into the mobile space, it would almost have to be capable of running a full version of Windows. iOS and Android are to firmly entrenched as mobile OS’s, but if you could have a mobile, pocketable device with a a full operating system on it? That would be game changing. 

37 minutes ago, Monkeybiz0985 said:

I think if they are intending this to make headway into the mobile space, it would almost have to be capable of running a full version of Windows. iOS and Android are to firmly entrenched as mobile OS’s, but if you could have a mobile, pocketable device with a a full operating system on it? That would be game changing. 

It already exists. It's called ubuntu touch. You can install any linux app that runs on arm. You can connect it to the screen and you get FULL ubuntu OS screen like on desktop. Also there is Sailfish OS. Currently screen connection can't be established but it runs many linux distros. I have arch linux on it. It's exactly desktop OS just runs on mobile. Too bad you can't attach it to the screen maybe they will fix it.

I do not need windows on phone. If they manage to make one that will be shit. Windows 10 with it's spyware, keyloggers and telemetry is too much load on many desktops and if they run on HDDs well then good luck starting apps after fresh start. It needs 15 minutes just to start and settle down to start other applications like chrome, office and so on.

And now imagine that OS on phones with emulation layer to run x86 apps on arm. LOL.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

22 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

It already exists. It's called ubuntu touch. You can install any linux app that runs on arm. You can connect it to the screen and you get FULL ubuntu OS screen like on desktop. Also there is Sailfish OS. Currently screen connection can't be established but it runs many linux distros. I have arch linux on it. It's exactly desktop OS just runs on mobile. Too bad you can't attach it to the screen maybe they will fix it.

I do not need windows on phone. If they manage to make one that will be shit. Windows 10 with it's spyware, keyloggers and telemetry is too much load on many desktops and if they run on HDDs well then good luck starting apps after fresh start. It needs 15 minutes just to start and settle down to start other applications like chrome, office and so on.

And now imagine that OS on phones with emulation layer to run x86 apps on arm. LOL.

Ok, Linux is a niche OS. It maybe better in every way, but it’s still has no where near Windows’ market share. So I standby a full version of Windows OS on a mobile device would be game changing. 

12 minutes ago, Monkeybiz0985 said:

It maybe better in every way

Having used it for years, it's not. Far from it, unless you get your hands dirty.

13 minutes ago, Monkeybiz0985 said:

So I standby a full version of Windows OS on a mobile device would be game changing. 

95 can be ran on an iPad.

Plus, define what a mobile device is to you.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Monkeybiz0985 said:

Ok, Linux is a niche OS. It maybe better in every way, but it’s still has no where near Windows’ market share. So I standby a full version of Windows OS on a mobile device would be game changing. 

Windows market share comes from games that run only on windows. I know dozens of people who have windows JUST for gaming. Windows only software comes from market share too, so cause of that is still GAMING. So i think that will be a big problem for windows on phones. You can't just change your GTX graphics card for some shitty adreno. So you will not play games on phone. Thus i think it's market share will not be so large as in desktops.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

3 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

You can't just change your GTX graphics card for some shitty adreno. So you will not play games on phone. Thus i think it's market share will not be so large as in desktops.

With Windows 10 on ARM Always Connected PCs they already do use Adreno GPUs on Windows however underperforming they may or may not be.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

No matter how many times people talk about full Windows on phones it still doesn't make any sense.

The only use case is a docking setup and you'd still be better off with a thin client and solve any continuity through software.

Microsoft already have continuum on Windows phone.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, MCManiac52 said:

The thing that will sell it for me is if it comes with some sort of Samsung Dex type feature and supports the surface dock/connector. If they make the new device powerful enough, it could be perfect for businesses that have both laptops and mobiles.

Well, assuming it runs full Windows like a laptop, I would assume that it will feature USB Type-C, and that means video output would be possible. Windows 10 Mobile already supported keyboard, mouse, XBox controller, and if it had USB Type-C, it had: video out, and had a dock support to get a desktop-like experience when the phone is connected to it. Kinda like a basic Windows 10.

So I would assume that you can get a dock with all of these, and enjoy this pocket device that if a phone, tablet, and a desktop computer for office applications and web surfing and playing old simple games (at least gen 1 - keep in mind that it will probably run Windows 10 on ARM, and while native ARM compiled programs runs great on it, x86 programs goes through emulation, and so has a performance hit)

Oh it better have a USB Type-C for sure. Andromeda Surface Phone huh. Cool name it would be. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I was going to get myself a new Android phone at the end of the summer!! I've been sitting on an old iPhone model for YEARSSSSSSSS....

Microsoft why you do dis to me?

This is actually something that I am quite interested in. Kudos to Microsoft for going through with the "surface phone".

That looks cool... Kinda want it

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

You guys know how the "To be continued" meme goes, right? Well,

<==To Be Continued==l/l

don't get excited for vaporware.

48 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Windows Phone v2?

Because that's what it sounds like.

Nha. Windows Phone was it's own thing. It was running Windows CE (supposed to be Windows 7 core to replaced the aged old CE of back then... but anyway, long story).

This device idea is the vision Microsoft tried to do with the Windows 10 Mobile, in the grand scheme of things, but given up as the approach wasn't the best anymore, thanks to MUCH faster ARM based CPUs that followed, and the lack of compelling offer for people to switch.

This "Surface Phone" is more of a computer in your pocket that can convert into a larger screen device (small tablet), that can do phone calls and SM, running full Windows 10.

I expect the device to follow the same footsteps of Surface Pro, Microsoft first PC. It started as a cool idea that got media attention and people attention. It sold to businesses and people who like these kind of gadget things and enthusiasts. But, in the end, the device was not actually mass produced (difficult to find) and the device was really expensive, poor battery life for the price of the system, operating hot under heavy load, and was hardware level buggy at times, but usable (the price of first gen). This was a device that targeted specific people and not the mass. By the time of the third generation of the device came out, where they fix most issues (battery life, weight, thickness, cooling, improved pen, improved kickstand, diminished hardware level bugs significantly, and more), it started to hit the mass.

I expect the same. The first "Surface Phone" would be this cool idea, cool device... might have issues like battery life, and Win32 emulation still being slow due to the CPU, sold in limited markets, and probably shit by the media and reviewer (like the Surface Pro 1), and maybe 1-2 generation later, all these will become far less of an issue, and now it would start selling serious numbers.

Anyway, new info suggests that the device might be delayed for the following year, due to the OS and hardware not being ready in time, this includes the revealed Surface Hub 2. If true, it would mean 2 things:

1. The device will be released regardless, but the OS interface would have bugs and issues until things gets polished by the next update (so probably might be best to be an insider and hope for the best) and really target enthusiast only. I don't expect Win32 x86 emulation support to be enabled, unless you are plugged in, and even then. I think it is more that the Snapdragon 950 won't be fast enough when on battery. In other words, copy Surface Pro 1 strategy. Won't be surprised if the device has half a day battery life if used heavily.

2. The device won't be released, until mid or end of next year. But be in a better state, with hopefully better/faster CPU to handle the OS and demanding apps.

All I'm thinking is 3DS Windows 10 edition LOL

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

All I'm thinking is 3DS Windows 10 edition LOL

We'd all honestly pay so much for that though wouldn't we?

I ilke trains.

9 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

Windows market share comes from games that run only on windows. I know dozens of people who have windows JUST for gaming. Windows only software comes from market share too, so cause of that is still GAMING. So i think that will be a big problem for windows on phones. You can't just change your GTX graphics card for some shitty adreno. So you will not play games on phone. Thus i think it's market share will not be so large as in desktops.

Gamer's and domestic users are a drop in the ocean.  Most of the PC market drive is commercial/corporate sales.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

So i think that will be a big problem for windows on phones. You can't just change your GTX graphics card for some shitty adreno. So you will not play games on phone. Thus i think it's market share will not be so large as in desktops.

Yes you can. As long as the API can compile to the appropriate driver stack and the game is using that API, the application doesn't care what the hardware is.

EDIT: The real question is whether or not the application has CPU architecture support. But considering that Microsoft wants to restrict non-x86 devices in using UWP apps, that shouldn't be a problem. So the application probably still doesn't care what the hardware is since UWP is supposed to make that a moot point.

20 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Gamer's and domestic users are a drop in the ocean.  Most of the PC market drive is commercial/corporate sales.

So many gamers forget this, or even tend to act as if they're the driving force behind the technology world.  Sorry, folks, most people use Windows PCs because it was the cheapest machine at Best Buy, or because it's what they're used to at work -- games might not even register on their buying criteria.