Are LTT forums declining?

KarateHottie93
3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No, there's actual charts that show average number of online users over months and years

Oh. It must be an admin/mod exclusive thing. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, captain_to_fire said:

Oh. It must be an admin/mod exclusive thing. 

I don't even know how it's done.  I don't think it's part of the forum directly, or at least not the front end.  I think it's only an admin/senior mod thing (people who can get into the back)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I've talked to former active LTT members on why they aren't as active anymore. Most of the reasons are that it's the same content all the time, and I kind of feel this way too. There are only so many threads about building new PCs that people enjoy reading. Personally, I feel like most of the community has shifted over to Reddit. The battlestations and pcmasterrace subreddits are still alive and kicking.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

2 hours ago, Canada EH said:

There is not much to gain, that is why they left.

Its the same ole stuff time and time again.

Traveling with PC

Parents

Potential/Current Job

Potential/Current School

Love Interest

Health

Builds

Homework

There should be an automatic response to 99% of the questions posted.

this is honestly the biggest part of it.

traveling with pc - "ship your parts seperately"

parents - "turn 18 and move out"

job - "yep your job sucks/is awesome"

school - "graduate and you wont have to deal with it anymore"

love interest - "this isnt facebook, and im not your shrink / your 14 why are you worried about a girlfriend you'll break up with in 2 weeks"

health - "im not a doctor and this isnt webmd"

builds - "this is the same build i've copy/pasted for the last 15 people who wanted a $400 rig" (although the build logs are actually awesome)

homework - "ask your teacher or go to google, im not doing your homework for you"

amd vs nvidia: discuss - "locked"

how do i watch youtube at school - "locked"

too many threads end up where the right thing to do is just to link the last 10 threads about the same thing. its gotten boring.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

screams IDGAF though ._.

it does, and its meant to.  why have the same conversion again and again. and have to argue the same points over and over, when i could just link the last time me or somebody did it.

the forum has a search function that actually works really well. people should use it more often. shit, half the threads in most of the subforums can be solved by just linking one of the stickied posts..

but lets be honest here, if people actually looked for their own answers, the only subforums that would still get use, would be offtopic and news.

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 hour ago, arnavvr said:

I've talked to former active LTT members on why they aren't as active anymore. Most of the reasons are that it's the same content all the time, and I kind of feel this way too. There are only so many threads about building new PCs that people enjoy reading. Personally, I feel like most of the community has shifted over to Reddit. The battlestations and pcmasterrace subreddits are still alive and kicking.

"Help I've put toothpaste in my GPU to make it go faster, but now the Walls are all sticky, what do I do to get the screen to stop going green and red..." x50

One born every minute, and sadly they all buy PCs and get advice from the guy down the pub. ;)

6 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

a lot of the threads are just circle jerking about PC vs mac, android VS ios, console VS PC and such. 

I felt that either I am getting tired to argue online, or I am getting old. Or some of the thread are just childish. 

6 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Forums in general have been declining in popularity. I've got a forum for console modding, but it's dead. There are almost never new posts. I keep paying for it because I can't bring myself to end it.

Forums are, in an essence, social networks and have had features that "social networks" utilize and rely on now, including threaded conversation and user profiles. They have a lot in common. What is important to keep in mind is that forums and social networks are just tools. The value of them depends on your objectives and what you are looking to develop and pull out of them.

Oh goodie, one of these. Haven't seen one of these in maybe 6 months.

I haven't seen decline in subforums I follow. Not overall. There might be slower weeks, but thats all.

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

We do have activity numbers but I haven't seen them in ages.

Last I saw one was when Wind or Mortis used them to prove why making another pointless subforum is pointless.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Members come and go, so it isn't surprising that you're seeing a lot of older members becoming inactive. The concurrent active users metric in particular is misleading, because the way it is measured was changed just after the high score there, and the new method can underestimate considerably. Although I don't have specific data, I am fairly sure that it has been exceeded since then.

Page views have been fairly stable recently, along with registrations. That being said, the number of new posts, which will be the thing that you can most actively see, has declined a bit in the past couple of years. It's not plummeted or anything, but there is definitely a downward trend.

HTTP/2 203

I logged in after awhile, now most of the old members I knew have thousands of posts. Also my old PC specs still in my signature lol

Other than that forum still looks pretty active, maybe not as much as 3-4 years ago, but is not bad IMO.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

19 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, a few of the more active members have been banned over time too.  It's not just a traditional decline.

I'm honestly surprised I'm still here lol

I was hella active in the past. I'm even able to be proud of having taken part in the official Shit Posting Thread.

72 pages worth of absolutely glorious shit posting. All brought down because of one dickhead who later got himself banned because he was a dickhead.

those who remember know who I am talking about. F**K that guy.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 6/13/2018 at 8:58 PM, mrchow19910319 said:

this forum is the best when you need to build a new PC. 

but people dont need to build a new pc every week. 

other than that, the forum is just meh. 

a lot of the threads are just circle jerking about PC vs mac, android VS ios, console VS PC and such. 

I felt that either I am getting tired to argue online, or I am getting old. Or some of the thread are just childish. 

No, it's probably that it is the same old argument again and again

On 6/13/2018 at 9:48 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

I can't give a comment on that matter.

2016 also saw an uprise in members due to the Razer Blade/Blade Stealth giveaway.

Not gonna lie, that's originally why I joined. Then later I remembered that I had an account here and decided to be more active :P

I have to admit I did log onto that but I actually joined a few day earlier because I had a family member get me excited about cryptocurrency, I was naive and wanted to build a water cooled 6960x beast with 6 1080s! LOL! I didn't make the post until 5 days later but hey I was busier (still busy) then. (to be clear I intend to mine litecoin)

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

On 6/14/2018 at 4:12 AM, GDRRiley said:

I don't want to respond to the 100th person who wants a 400$ build, go look at one made 2 days ago. 

Yep. The same questions repeat over and over again. Let the new guys google answer em :P

I read the forums quite a bit, but I rarely post anything, unless I feel like it somehow contributes to the topic or is actually interesting...

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

46 minutes ago, Tam3n said:

I read the forums quite a bit, but I rarely post anything, unless I feel like it somehow contributes to the topic or is actually interesting...

this is the exact reason i have only a fraction as many posts as @Trik'Stari, even though ive been here longer(by like 3 weeks lol).

|Specs in profile|

Habits change. I used to play a lot of video games. Now I totally gave up on playing games because it took away too much time.

I am a radical person. I either do a thing excessively or I don´t start at all