This is just bad parenting, not the games fault

Go to solution Solved by WkdPaul,

Had to stop reading after that part ;

'This is a serious issue which is destroying our little girl's life and someone needs to step in to ban it before it becomes an epidemic.' 

This is BS. The problem isn't that one specific game, it's the parenting.

Source ; am a parent, and I had to take away the TV and tablet a few times because she wouldn't stop when told. She threw tantrums, yes, and? Being a parent is also dealing with tantrums and TEACHING your kid why some rights are revoked and why tantrums won't change that.

There really should be mandatory courses given to parents, some are so shitty I actually wonder how they we're able to make it through life long enough to procreate...

So I'm not exactly old being only 22, regardless of the fact I feel like a 90 year old on dialysis... But I remember growing up in the wave of consoles, from the N64 to XB360 during which time I was a kid, and being a kid was a bit of a dick for my parents to look after. 

But I always had a console, and would play games whenever I could thus my parents decided to start limiting my time on my consoles until I was older, and was dumb enough to be accountable for my own mistakes. If I didn't want to come of my console my parents took that shit away, no matter how much I screamed or tantrumed about it, it was taken away, I wasn't allowed it again for a day or two. End of story. 

So this article about a 9y/o addicted to Fortnite, to me personally sounds more like shitty parenting rather than an addictive game. If she had been told NO, like some of us where, like a parent should do when their child is a little shit, she would probably have never had this sort of thing happen

I would just like to hear some other opinions about this article, and the whole video game addiction situation that is now starting to become a thing 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5826465/Girl-nine-rehab-addicted-Fortnite-video-game-wet-herself.html

But didn't the article explicitly say that the parents did intervene in her playing habit? Didn't they take away her console and she threw a tantrum?

Also, the story seems highly sensationalized and spun to fit into a discourse that's currently going on in the UK, where video games (especially Fortnite) seems to be getting all the blame for societie's ills.

It also doesn't help that you linked to the Daily Mail. One of the most rancid publications on planet Earth.

Granted, the story seem to have stated with the Mirror, but the Daily Mail left out a lot.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Just now, Volbet said:

take away her console and she threw a tantrum?

Even worse parenting at that point if you ask me.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Even worse parenting at that point if you ask me.

How so?

>DailyMail

I'd take Buzzfeed over DailyMail.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

things like this are easily solved by saying "NO" when a kid wants something (a toy, a console, a tv, a trip to london)

where I grew up there was nothing but rocks and mud to play, sure other kids at the school had consoles, tv, expensive toys, and when me or my sister asked for something like that our parents would just say no, read a book instead (we had a lot) or do your homework, clean your room.

we had and have discipline, something that modern day kids AND PARENTS lack.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, Volbet said:

How so?

You gotta teach your kids, essentially.

When I was a kid, my parents never took away privileges like that unless I deserved it. And I didn't fight against it, even though it bothered me a lot, because I knew that I deserved it. I was also taught from a young age that throwing tantrums when something didn't go your way wouldn't make it go your way. I also knew that if I did throw a tantrum, it would just get worse for me.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You gotta teach your kids, essentially.

When I was a kid, my parents never took away privileges like that unless I deserved it. And I didn't fight against it, even though it bothered me a lot, because I knew that I deserved it. I was also taught from a young age that throwing tantrums when something didn't go your way wouldn't make it go your way. I also knew that if I did throw a tantrum, it would just get worse for me.

But they did take away a privilege when it was deserved. At least from how it is described.

We also have no idea how the patent/child relationship is in this case, so we don't know if temper tantrums were out of the ordinary or if it was a regular thing.

As you said, you have to learn that things don't go your way, so if this was a first then it serves as her learning experience.

I would also argue that just accepting your parents decision(s) and not fight again st it is an unhealthy way of growing up. You need to challenge authority in all its shapes and sizes.

At the very least that's what my parents taught me. Fight the power you feel has wronged you and do lot just accept any illegitimate authority or unnecessary use of force.

Just now, Volbet said:

I would also argue that just accepting your parents decision(s) and not fight again st it is an unhealthy way of growing up. You need to challenge authority in all its shapes and sizes.

I respectfully disagree.

I didn't fight my parents per se, but I would discuss an issue with them if it really bothered me and if I wanted to hear their reasoning for it. Challenging authority can also get you into a lot of trouble later in life. Some people just can't accept the fact that they have to do what they're told by their superiors, and it doesn't end well for them.

1 minute ago, Volbet said:

Fight the power you feel has wronged you and do lot just accept any illegitimate authority or use of force.

I don't fully disagree with this. Parental authority is by no means illegitimate.

'This is a serious issue which is destroying our little girl's life and someone needs to step in to ban it before it becomes an epidemic.' 

Source ; am a parent, and I had to take away the TV and tablet a few times because she wouldn't stop when told. She threw tantrums, yes, and? Being a parent is also dealing with tantrums and TEACHING your kid why some rights are revoked and why tantrums won't change that.

There really should be mandatory courses given to parents, some are so shitty I actually wonder how they we're able to make it through life long enough to procreate...

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

14 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

We might as well ban alcohol, weed, drugs, and Tide Pods. These things are becoming an epidemic in our youth. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

10 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

We might as well ban alcohol, weed, drugs, and Tide Pods. These things are becoming an epidemic in our youth. 

I have literally no productive response to this, and I seriously can't tell if some of this is sarcasm...

1 person negatively affected on 1,000,000s of players.

Typical Daily Mail hysteria.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 hour ago, DildorTheDecent said:

>DailyMail

I'd take Buzzfeed over DailyMail.

So you'd take garbage over rubbish?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

So you'd take garbage over rubbish?

I'd rather take death over the two tbh.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

12 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

My parents said similar to yourself, it's part of being a parent. You can't always be the good guy, and let them do what they want.

And was also reminded of the time I binged Halo 3 for a whole weekend, and refused to go to school on the Monday which led to my mum taking away my Xbox for an entire month. I was pissed, and threw a massive tantrum about it, but hell I realised too much of something can be bad. Not to say I didn't binge play again, but I never refused to go to school because I wanted to play games, or because I'd decided to stay up late playing because fuck I didn't want to loose my Xbox again

21 hours ago, TacticalL0tion said:

9y/o addicted to Fortnite, to me personally sounds more like shitty parenting rather than an addictive game

Parents are enablers and co-dependent, quite common with addicts whether it be alcohol, drugs, sex, gambling, or games.

As a parent I can certifiably say that these parents are shitty assholes. Parents have control over their kids' devices. If they don't, well, they need to stop being shitty.

My 8-year-old plays games like Roblox, Fortnite, and Five Nights at Freddies, only after my wife and I checked them out and determined that they're appropriate for him. Are they appropriate for all 8-year-olds? Probably not. Every kid is different.

My son peed himself once on the couch when he was 4 because he was obsessed with his iPad at the time and "forgot" to get up and pee. No more iPad for a good while after that.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

5 hours ago, GilmourD said:

Parents have control over their kids' devices

nope not if they are co depenadent and enablers

11 hours ago, Canada EH said:

nope not if they are co depenadent and enablers

Re-read the sentence before and the sentence after the single sentence you cherrypicked for the quote.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

On 6/11/2018 at 7:25 AM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

We might as well ban alcohol, weed, drugs,

I'm all for that.  If something can be demonstrated to have a negative effect on human development (that is all human development and advancement not individuals) then why not ban it. 

and Tide Pods.

Here I think we can safely blame a lot of other things legitimately before we blame tide pods.

These things are becoming an epidemic in our youth. 

Youth seems to be the common denominator in all our problems,  Maybe we should just suppress the youth like they did in the old days, you know when life was supposedly simpler and safer?   :/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

This is the internet isn't it?   On the internet there is no difference between a joke, trolling, ignorant comment or its rebuttal that makes the reader understand the intent.

Having said that, my last comment definitely was a joke because I don't think we should be suppressing the youth, just those who participate on the internet forums and social media.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If you are letting a 9 year old kid play fort nite for over an hour then there’s something up with the parents. Obviously the parents are around them so take some time to  play sports or teach them some DIY. Video games are useless for education. Not what they are for.

hm I think I'm gonna rake in a few minus points here but...

Ban bicycle helmets and let darwin sort it out... :P

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN