Is this PSU enough for my build?

Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,

More PSU than you really need for the build, if you found a good deal on it go ahead it's an excellent unit... it'll just not be as efficient as you'll always be using about half of its capacity.

It's way overkill. A good 450-550W PSU is plenty. 

:)

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It's way overkill. A good 450-550W PSU is plenty. 

So i will be able to run this PC with that PSU without any problems?
I'm looking to overclock it a little bit ofcourse.

psu is fine.  plenty of power for your system even if you plan on overclocking

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

6 minutes ago, Gbergz said:

So i will be able to run this PC with that PSU without any problems?
I'm looking to overclock it a little bit ofcourse.

Well, yes. But you're wasting money by doing so. Overclocked, 550W is plenty, 450W should also be fine. 

More PSU than you really need for the build, if you found a good deal on it go ahead it's an excellent unit... it'll just not be as efficient as you'll always be using about half of its capacity.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

You could drop down to a 650W or 550W unit and save some money.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

I can agree with a 650.  if you are planning to overclock than a little extra overhead is good for stability.

1 hour ago, Gbergz said:

Hello, this is my first post here! I'm building a PC & i'm wondering if this PSU is enough for this PC?

PSU in Question:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079HGN5QS/?tag=pcpapi-20

PC Build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Gbergz/saved/TFw9WZ

Thanks for the help. :))

The RM650i would be a better bet for that much money. You don't need 750W.

I'd disagree with the idea of getting a 450W if you plan to OC though. 8700Ks OC'd use a ton of power as do 1080 Tis.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

32 minutes ago, Praxis727 said:

I can agree with a 650.  if you are planning to overclock than a little extra overhead is good for stability.

Extra overhead won't do any good for stability. Good regulation, good transient response and low ripple will. 

Thank you for the answers guys! Really appreciate it. :)

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

Extra overhead won't do any good for stability. Good regulation, good transient response and low ripple will. 

While this is true in general, also too little overhead can hurt things. You don't want your PSU to be operating at 100% all the time. Thus having some overhead will allow a PSU to run at a much lower capacity, and will prolong the life of the PSU. So I would never recommend going with a 450 or 550 as some have suggested. What if OP want's to add some HDD or SSD's in the future? What if OP wants to add some other stuff? To me, spend the extra $20 simply for the ability to add components. 

19 minutes ago, thelightninja said:

While this is true in general, also too little overhead can hurt things. You don't want your PSU to be operating at 100% all the time. Thus having some overhead will allow a PSU to run at a much lower capacity, and will prolong the life of the PSU. So I would never recommend going with a 450 or 550 as some have suggested. What if OP want's to add some HDD or SSD's in the future? What if OP wants to add some other stuff? To me, spend the extra $20 simply for the ability to add components. 

So, a PSU rated to run at 100% load 24/7 at 40°C for 7/10 years shouldn't be run close to 100% load? Within that time, it's quite likely that the ATX PSU standard has been replaced. 

You spend those $20 to gain nothing (HDDs and SSDs draw next to no power), while I have those extra $20 that I didn't spend for no real reason. 

6 minutes ago, seon123 said:

So, a PSU rated to run at 100% load 24/7 at 40°C for 7/10 years shouldn't be run close to 100% load? Within that time, it's quite likely that the ATX PSU standard has been replaced. 

You spend those $20 to gain nothing (HDDs and SSDs draw next to no power), while I have those extra $20 that I didn't spend for no real reason. 

Can you show me where a PSU is advertised to run at 100% 24/7 for 7 years?

If you did a little research, you would find that PSU are most effiecient at 40-60% of their maximum efficiency. If you have a 450W powersupply running at 90% all the time, it's much less efficient then a 750 running at 50-60%. But more power to you  man if it's working for you! :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/318857-28-does-higher-wattage-power-supply-equal-higher-electricity-drain

1 minute ago, thelightninja said:

If you did a little research, you would find that PSU are most effiecient at 40-60% of their maximum efficiency. If you have a 450W powersupply running at 90% all the time, it's much less efficient then a 750 running at 50-60%. But more power to you  man if it's working for you! :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/318857-28-does-higher-wattage-power-supply-equal-higher-electricity-drain

Well, @Stefan Payne has that BitFenix box, and I'm fairly sure @jonnyGURU has said something along those lines earlier. 

If you look at actual measurements, you'll find that the difference in efficiency between running a gold rated 450W, 550W and 650W at a 400W load is well under 1%. Here's Cybenetics' database, have a look. https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Well, @Stefan Payne has that BitFenix box, and I'm fairly sure @jonnyGURU has said something along those lines earlier. 

If you look at actual measurements, you'll find that the difference in efficiency between running a gold rated 450W, 550W and 650W at a 400W load is well under 1%. Here's Cybenetics' database, have a look. https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database

Interesting, i'll have to do some more research. I guess I should downgrade my PSU LOL

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

275 w for vid card under load and 150w for the processor,  12w for 4 ram sticks, another 12 for 2 ssds,  30 to 80 for the mobo.  This isn't a 4 core low clock setup.  These are tested numbers not pcpartpicker values.  getting close and that is not counting full load or spikes,  Yes you could do 2 780tis and a 4770k no rgb ddr3 2 stick of ram on 750 watt power supply,  but i wouldnt say that it is the same now adays

19 minutes ago, thelightninja said:

Interesting, i'll have to do some more research. I guess I should downgrade my PSU LOL

Credits to him

Screenshot.png.100dea59557ffa8c3b854a184199fcff.png.a7149b502624c14740cba6b0ae7e9598.png

On a pretty mid range PSU

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, JDE said:

Credits to him

Screenshot.png.100dea59557ffa8c3b854a184199fcff.png.a7149b502624c14740cba6b0ae7e9598.png

On a pretty mid range PSU

LOL OKay i'm no PSU expert, but that just says that it can be kept on 24/7, but it says nothing about at 100% usage! 

And geez, almost impossible to read.

Give me something real, as it's just not there. PSU companies don't advertise their PSU's being good at 100% for 7 years.

11 minutes ago, Praxis727 said:

275 w for vid card under load and 150w for the processor,  12w for 4 ram sticks, another 12 for 2 ssds,  30 to 80 for the mobo.  This isn't a 4 core low clock setup.  These are tested numbers not pcpartpicker values.  getting close and that is not counting full load or spikes,  Yes you could do 2 780tis and a 4770k no rgb ddr3 2 stick of ram on 750 watt power supply,  but i wouldnt say that it is the same now adays

Tell me more about where you got those numbers? Because it's not from the real world. 12W from the RAM will heat them up to much higher temps than they actually reach. Most peoole do in fact not run ATTO or Crystaldiskmark while gaming. Motherboards don't draw nearly that amount of power. Worst case scenario with a bottom of the barrel absolute garbage underspecced, you're still looking at under 30W for the VRM. With a higher end one, you'll have a more efficient VRM. 

Here's an overclocked 4960X platform, and this is the wall power consumption. The DC power will be ~10% lower. 

Spoiler

85968.png

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/16

4 minutes ago, thelightninja said:

LOL OKay i'm no PSU expert, but that just says that it can be kept on 24/7, but it says nothing about at 100% usage! 

Give me something real, as it's just not there. PSU companies don't advertise their PSU's being good at 100% for 7 years.

The rating they give (the label, where it says the output) is for continuous power. The thing in the picture clarifies that they actually mean continuous operation, when they write continuous. 

26 minutes ago, thelightninja said:

Continuous in the PSU world = 100% constant

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

27 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Tell me more about where you got those numbers? Because it's not from the real world. 12W from the RAM will heat them up to much higher temps than they actually reach. Most peoole do in fact not run ATTO or Crystaldiskmark while gaming. Motherboards don't draw nearly that amount of power. Worst case scenario with a bottom of the barrel absolute garbage underspecced, you're still looking at under 30W for the VRM. With a higher end one, you'll have a more efficient VRM. 

Here's an overclocked 4960X platform, and this is the wall power consumption. The DC power will be ~10% lower. 

Reveal hidden contents

85968.png

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/16

3w per stick.  pasted all over the internets.  multiple vids.  Also, they are rgb trident z so you should account for the lighting which will bring it back upto 4w.  DDR4 takes less power consumption then three.  Also, what world are you living in.  Motherboards do draw that kind of power.  Every capacitor or trace causes a resistance.  Power isn't just drawn but resisted.  Pci slots, bios, on board graphics acceleration, chipsets sound cards, bluetooth, wifi, power to all open ports Motherboard????  https://us.hardware.info/reviews/7605/17/intel-z370-motherboards-round-up-17-times-coffee-lake-power-consumption  That is one of hundres of other benchmarks.  I was being kind at 80.  Dont spout a bunch of garbage or call people out when you havent done any research or have on hand knowledge,  There is a good chance at 550w he would have been just fine.  There is an equally good chance that he wouldn't have.  Nothing you buy should ever be run at 100 percent.  That is how things break.  Less noise when your fan isn't on 24/7.I mean how long have you been building computers to be calling people\out on something they have been doing for 20 years  More reading and less I think.  So yes, 4w per stick 80 to 100 on normal game high end graphics load, 1080ti's are thirsty and Fat cores mean fat fuel needed.  Also has the highest clock of any standardized chip on the market.  I am ballparking at 520 or so and that is without counting fans, or cooler or hard drives,  or light strips, and to be honest i low balled some of those numbers.  It's all out there to read. And usually there would be some fluctuation.  But the guys that test these things aren testing from the wall and from the psu and from the other peripherals not the vrms.  So 10 percent is a little exaggerated as they are not likely doing this in there basements.  Sorry if i went off a bit but research before belittling someones reccomendation

3 hours ago, thelightninja said:

DSC_4247Andere.md.jpg

3 hours ago, thelightninja said:

You don't know that.

You can't know that.

You have to look up the Efficiency "Curve" of the PSU!

And what are we talking about?! 1% Difference, maybe two?!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 hours ago, Praxis727 said:

1. I'm doin two 7970GHz/280X on a 550W - and still be under 550W!

2. Those values for the SSDs are peak/maximum values. And if you look at the Datasheet its more like 3W for active write (1TB) and 3,3W for Active Read (1TB) of the Samsung 850 PRO and Rated DC is 1,5A for +5V. So less than half of that it really uses.

3. 30-80W for the MoBo? What in the world could consume that much?! We don't have heatplates like the nForce 590! And if you'd look at a Graphics Card with 30W TDP, you'd see some serious heatsinking, for example this Gigabyte 1030 low profile. And that is a 30W TDP Card or so, for 75W (like 1050ti), you have some really big Heatsinks.

4. Load spikes is not something you calculate the PSU for, because that is what the capacitors in the PSU are for.

5. Look at (the old) Corsair RMx 550 and 650W Review on TPU and THG, you won't find much differences, in this example, it seems that only the Primary side is different...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"