How to Tell my parents my phone broke

Cupar19

Hey guys,

So basically I have had the galaxy s6 now for a while, about 2 years and it had started to slow down and lag a bit, but was fine so I didn't even consider getting a new phone but then I went to turn it on and it won't, I tried charging it,but all it does is get really hot. My problem is I don't know how to tell my parents, especially as they bought me the phone for school so I could talk to my friends but also so they know I'm safe. As well as that modern phones are very expensive, and whilst I have about £200 saved up, that really isn't going to cut it for a decent phone and it was my birthday a month back where my parents already spent a lot of money on some peripherals for my computer. So I really don't know what to do, any suggestions.

Just tell them your phone died, there's no real way to sugarcoat this. Preferably do it sooner rather than later.

Also, 200 can get you a decent phone that should last until you can get a new one.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just tell them what happened....and don't try charging the phone anymore. Lithium batteries are no joke when they get hot enough to initiate a runaway reaction that is where you see stories of people's phones blowing up... and not in a getting a lot of calls/texts way.

They may want to get it repaired, or maybe they'll just buy another one for you. You won't know unless they know...you know?

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

Hey guys,

So basically I have had the galaxy s6 now for a while, about 2 years and it had started to slow down and lag a bit, but was fine so I didn't even consider getting a new phone but then I went to turn it on and it won't, I tried charging it,but all it does is get really hot. My problem is I don't know how to tell my parents, especially as they bought me the phone for school so I could talk to my friends but also so they know I'm safe. As well as that modern phones are very expensive, and whilst I have about £200 saved up, that really isn't going to cut it for a decent phone and it was my birthday a month back where my parents already spent a lot of money on some peripherals for my computer. So I really don't know what to do, any suggestions.

I mean... you're making this significantly more complicated than it should be.

"Hey mom, hey dad, my phone won't turn on anymore. When I charge it, it get's really hot. I think it's dead and in need of replacement."

The end.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Ok thanks guys ill try tommorow as it's quite late now

So what aren't you telling us?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Just now, Yoinkerman said:

???

3 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

???

Sounds like he's assuming that you were doing something that caused your phone to die that you don't want to tell your parents.

3 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

You're probably reading into this a little too much...

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Sounds like he's assuming that you were doing something that caused your phone to die that you don't want to tell your parents.

You're probably reading into this a little too much...

I just assume the OP is very young and thus simply doesn't have the experience or maturity (no offense, not an insult) to know how to handle the situation.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Maybe.  But I was also a teenager once.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I just assume the OP is very young and thus simply doesn't have the experience or maturity (no offense, not an insult) to know how to handle the situation.

That would make more sense. Again, no offense intended.

1 hour ago, Cupar19 said:

Hey guys,

Just tell them it died. It's not like you can do anything to magically make it work again, and it's not like you purposefully broke it.

Hey guys,

Just buy an old $20 they are just as good for basics.

but also so they know I'm safe.

Meaning they want you to have a working phone. You didn't break it so just tell them the truth, it died. That's not your fault. 

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Thx guys and btw I understand what you mean and don't take it as an insult, I'm going to tell them tomorrow as they won't be back until later

"My phone broke"

200 can get a great used phone. I spent about that much (US) on a phone 2 and a half years ago, still using it haven't cared to upgrade. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

easy peazy.  man up and walk right up them and "mom, dad im gay, my phone wont turn on anymore, i think i need a new one."

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Depending on your country, Moto g5 or g6 can be a very good option on the budget range.

Budget and mid-range phones are now better than ever. You don't need to buy a flagship phone to get a good experience.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

11 hours ago, Cupar19 said:

I have about £200 saved up, that really isn't going to cut it for a decent phone

Yes it is, it's plenty in fact. Spending more than that doesn't really get you anything useful, just some flashy gimmicks. Besides, you could just buy a used s6 if that was good enough for you...

As for telling them, I don't see the problem - it seems it wasn't your fault and eventually they'll find out you're without a phone anyway.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*