SONY created a new backlit & fullframe cmos sensor

Kamjam21xx

This news is from Feb 17. I just came upon it and found it very interesting, and definitely worth the read.

SONY has managed to create a new backlit & fullframe cmos sensor. This sensor wasnt even 2mp, however the tech behind this is very promising for future cameras. 

Blog-38cropped2.jpg.efa77a2883fbce6f618e9675dff5f081.jpg

To be able to buy a $2,000-$5,000

camera that has 15 or 16 stops of dynamic range, almost no noise at even high iso at night, 4k+, 35mm, and with a global shutter... this would be the holy grail for prosumer cameras i believe. Which i am now expecting, as i expect sony to always push technology.

Blog-38cropped.jpg.a1e4cd1910e0c3ef4f64f9de0ead5bec.jpg

-VideoMaker-

"Big news is coming out of Sony and it’s that they’ve developed a back-illuminated CMOS sensor that enables global shutter function. Now, the sensor is only 1.46 megapixels, so don’t expect it to be integrated into any Sony cameras anytime soon, but regardless, it's still a big feat for Sony.

The advantage of backlit CMOS sensor is that it basically allows cameras to capture images at lower light levels with a lot less noise. This is because the sensor’s electric circuits are placed at the back of the sensor, not the front, meaning that more light can get to the photosites and less readout amplification is required."

https://www.videomaker.com/videonews/2018/02/sony-develops-back-illuminated-global-shutter-cmos-image-sensor

Regardless of how many pixels your camera might technically have, most people are probably dealing with ~6 or fewer useful MP anyway due to bad glass and/or bad post-processing, so tbh this isn't that far from being potentially very usable.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Huh

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Regardless of how many pixels your camera might technically have, most people are probably dealing with ~6 or fewer useful MP anyway due to bad glass and/or bad post-processing, so tbh this isn't that far from being potentially very usable.

my personal camera right now downsamples to 4k from 6k. The A7sii is only 12mp i believe, and has the best lowlight 4k footage ive seen out of a prosumer camera. I expect their future cameras to be similar.

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah that (or the next iteration) is on my unicorn list. I'm not buying another DSLR untill it breaks (and buy another pleb one) or I can afford to throw away a month and a bit more's worth in average salary away

Well that makes 2 of us. Im really excited to buy it. I dont want the A7iii because of the NR at high iso, unless you can turn it off. Its really hard to pick a specific A7 camera to buy thought.

1 hour ago, JDE said:

Huh

If you think you're confused - I just woke up and very squintely misread this as being a company invented RGB backlighting for the CMOS battery in motherboards.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

16 stops of dynamic range. That is insane. I would love to see using ISO 1600 for shooting Milkyway with no noise.

ok, nice new tech 20 years away from me touching it i guess

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Word 

The kit lens on my a6000 is pretty meh. I can get good results out of it but my Sigma outperforms it in pretty much every way

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, Deli said:

16 stops of dynamic range. That is insane. I would love to see using ISO 1600 for shooting Milkyway with no noise.

Wait 1600 with no noise? What potato are you using, my A77 had no noise at 1600 and thats saying something. 

I want to get my hands on an A7ii. I am an astrophotographer and the video aspect has interested me over the years. 

I read the title as, Sony created a new clickbait fullframe cmos sensor. xD-_-

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

My A7III's new BSI sensor is already very impressive enough in low-light already

Now, if this thing is armed in an A7S near future, holy shit....

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

9 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Wait 1600 with no noise? What potato are you using, my A77 had no noise at 1600 and thats saying something. 

I want to get my hands on an A7ii. I am an astrophotographer and the video aspect has interested me over the years. 

I have the A7ii. ISO 1600 is about the max I can accept in term of noise. But it's still bad. I can send you the raw file if you want.

43 minutes ago, Deli said:

I have the A7ii. ISO 1600 is about the max I can accept in term of noise. But it's still bad. I can send you the raw file if you want.

Im curious to see it. The A7sii has phenominal lowlight and you get very little grain. 

On top of that.. when you upload it in a format that interpolates between frames, any noise you do get is somewhat eliminated.

You guys are stuck in a photography mindset.

These sort of sensors are a big deal for CCTV.

It's fairly common there is no point slapping in an 8MP camera when it can't see anything at night time.

There are currently 2MP low light cameras out that can give use able footage 24/7, some look like dusk in the middle of a pitch black night.

Then you also don't use as much bandwidth, storage or NVR resources. Better to have solid 2MP footage than useless 8MP footage and some of these low light sensors are game changers so this sort of tech is huge for CCTV.

11 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

I have to call bullshit on that.  Even higher end cameras have visible noise at ISO 100.  Maybe you can't see it, or maybe it's being processed out at the cost of other things like sharpness, but I guarantee you it's there.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I have to call bullshit on that.  Even higher end cameras have visible noise at ISO 100.  Maybe you can't see it, or maybe it's being processed out at the cost of other things like sharpness, but I guarantee you it's there.

A7sii and some ARRI cameras have basically no noise. I cant see it, even zoomed all the way in to a few pixels. 

3 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

A7sii and some ARRI cameras have basically no noise. I cant see it, even zoomed all the way in to a few pixels. 

I'd love to see that.

18 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Also, theoretically more light = better signal = better image regardless. So most of the "more pixels" benefits will be matched by "better light/quality" when getting to ridiculous high MP counts... with the exception of post process zoom/high FPS video of cause.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'd love to see that.

Okay, ARRI has a media server with unaltered shots from their cameras that you can download. Ill grab some and make a little video. 

Itll give me something to do.

What would be really cool, would be to look at the film from an IMAX camera and see if it has grain.

4 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Okay, ARRI has a media server with unaltered shots from their cameras that you can download. Ill grab some and make a little video. 

Itll give me something to do.

What would be really cool, would be to look at the film from an IMAX camera and see if it has grain.

I mean the sony.  I'm not familiar with ARRI and can't speak to what some weird fancy stuff intended for scientific study or hollywood or something can do, but within the realm of "professional consumer" cameras (5D, D800, etc.) I know how they perform and if you look at the sky for example in any shot even at ISO 100, or 64 or whatever their base is, noise will be visible.

37 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I mean the sony.  I'm not familiar with ARRI and can't speak to what some weird fancy stuff intended for scientific study or hollywood or something can do, but within the realm of "professional consumer" cameras (5D, D800, etc.) I know how they perform and if you look at the sky for example in any shot even at ISO 100, or 64 or whatever their base is, noise will be visible.

Well it depends on the conditions for the A7sii, and if youre recording on camera or to an external recorder. Youll get noise with any camera, but im talking about well lit and properly exposed shots with maybe a polarizer and ND filter. 

Comparing the A7sii to other prosumer cameras like the 5D markiii, the 5D is like tv static in comparison.

Just now, Kamjam21xx said:

Well it depends on the conditions for the A7sii, and if youre recording on camera or to an external recorder. Youll get noise with any camera, but im talking about well lit and properly exposed shots with maybe a polarizer and ND filter. 

Comparing the A7sii to other prosumer cameras like the 5D markiii, the 5D is like tv static in comparison.

Oh, are you talking about video?  I was thinking photography this whole time xD

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh, are you talking about video?  I was thinking photography this whole time xD

Oh ya, especially shooting raw.

Just now, Kamjam21xx said:

Oh ya, especially shooting raw.

Well I can't comment on video performance, but I'd imagine it must be similar since it's coming off the same sensor.  Maybe it just masks it better in motion... also it is going to be scaled down so much (even 4K is small compared to a 24 MP source) that it really wouldn't be noticeable in the final product, particularly after encoding to any watchable format.