Casual couch gamer with kids: Best option?

Gdourado

Hello, how are you?

Looking at discussing this.
For a person that enjoys single player story driven games, rpgs, single player campaigns and is a couch gamer, that will only game at the couch with a controller at the TV, so no high refresh rate monitor and no keyboard and mouse.

Also, this person is an adult with a house to take care of and kids, so doesn't have all the time in the world and is not made of money.

For such a person, what is the best option:

- Spend 300 euros on a PS4 Pro, enjoy the Sony exclusives and the multiplatform games like Assassins Creed Origins, Far Cry 5, Shadow of War, Rise of Tomb Raider and such at 30 fps.

- Spend 3 to 4 times that on an ITX build with an i5 8400, 16gb of ram, an SSD, SFX PSU, GTX 1060 6gb, forget the Sony exclusive games and enjoy the multiplatform games at 60 FPS ultra Settings.

Based on this scenario, what would be your choice and why?

Cheers!

PS4, you dont need to spend all that extra money if youre not always gaming, specially if its for couch gaming

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

I would recommend a PS4 with a extra controller.Get something like Gang Beasts or Rocket League so you can use your kids as a excuse

My life

If you already have a gaming PC, I'd recommend just buying a Steam Link and using in-home streaming. If not, it depends if you care about upfront cost or total cost. The PS4 is cheaper up front, but games and PS-Now will cost more in the long run. A PC will cost a lot upfront, but games will be cheaper and you don't need a subscription. Whichever you choose will give you a good couch gaming experience though. Have fun :) 

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

1 minute ago, JayKay3000 said:

Start with what you would like to play on it, then you'll be able to decide what platform to buy. You might even decide you want to play games that don't require high graphics power or even older console platforms.

He did give us a list.Read the post

My life

10 minutes ago, njmyers3 said:

If you already have a gaming PC, I'd recommend just buying a Steam Link and using in-home streaming. If not, it depends if you care about upfront cost or total cost. The PS4 is cheaper up front, but games and PS-Now will cost more in the long run. A PC will cost a lot upfront, but games will be cheaper and you don't need a subscription. Whichever you choose will give you a good couch gaming experience though. Have fun :) 

Steam link is capped at 30fps at 4k. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Forgot to mention, single player only, so would not buy ps plus.

a pc is more expensive.

did the math and for the price of an i5 with a 1060, I could get both a PS4 pro and a Xbox one X and have both consoles for exclusives and the one x for the multiplats.

a pc doesn’t seem so expensive, but it can add up when you add all the parts.

ram price is high for ddr4. Then you need an SSD, a psu and a case, a controller, a wireless keyboard with trackpad, all that adds up.

games are 60 euros at launch for the PS4, true. Games at launch are usually 40-50 for the pc. There are sales for the pc, but if you shop around, there are also cheaper places to buy ps4 games.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Steam link is capped at 30fps at 4k. 

Indeed, but on a TV for casual gaming do you really need 4k?

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

Forgot to mention, 1080p gaming.

a 1060 cannot do 4k and the ps4 pro only does it in some titles and uses checkerboard rendering.

1 minute ago, njmyers3 said:

Indeed, but on a TV for casual gaming do you really need 4k?

Yes LOL, yes you do. Once you go 4k, good luck going back LOL

I wouldn't use 4K for casual gaming, even as a TV.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Don't wanna argue but I have a 55" 4k TV and at a normal distance it doesn't look any crisper than 1080p. Nothing wrong with 4k, but at such a distance it doesn't make a big difference.

My main computer:

Spoiler

Pictures of setup:

1 minute ago, Gdourado said:

Forgot to mention, 1080p gaming.

a 1060 cannot do 4k and the ps4 pro only does it in some titles and uses checkerboard rendering.

A 1060 can do 4k, easy. Most games have a huge disparity between Ultra and High settings in performance, but look identical in motion. Plus you don't need an agressive AA at 4k. 

3 minutes ago, njmyers3 said:

Don't wanna argue but I have a 55" 4k TV and at a normal distance it doesn't look any crisper than 1080p. Nothing wrong with 4k, but at such a distance it doesn't make a big difference.

Not correct, the difference is night and day. Not sure where that idea came from. 

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I wouldn't use 4K for casual gaming, even as a TV.

Why? One of the ways gaming on a 4k just about pays for itself is how it makes older titles look like they just came out. Simplistic titles. Getting a 4k got my wife back into gaming. 

Edit, but I digress. PS4 is your best option. HTPCs take a lot of tinkering and work. Fun to have around, but anything but casual. 

I'd 100% go with the console, whichever you like more. I greatly prefer the controller of the Xbox, so I'll throw that one out there.

It does really come down to that and exclusives, really. Performance differences are negligible between the two.

39 minutes ago, njmyers3 said:

PSNow/Xbox Live really isn't that expensive. It's a few dollars a month. That's one of the lamest excuses people use to try and turn people off of consoles. Also, you can find console games just as cheap as Steam Sale games if you look.

35 minutes ago, FinnJim3 said:

Except you don't have peripherals, Windows, and you used US sources when he doesn't live in the US.

19 minutes ago, App4that said:

Not correct, the difference is night and day. Not sure where that idea came from.

People's eye sight isn't the same ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

People's eye sight isn't the same ;)

I get that, but damn LOL. Especially in UIs the difference is amazing, so much so you know right away when something doesn't scale. 

24 minutes ago, App4that said:

Why? One of the ways gaming on a 4k just about pays for itself is how it makes older titles look like they just came out. Simplistic titles. Getting a 4k got my wife back into gaming. 

Edit, but I digress. PS4 is your best option. HTPCs take a lot of tinkering and work. Fun to have around, but anything but casual. 

Curious about this part...

why do you say a HTPC takes a lot of tinkering?

I mean a pc can probably also lead to the constant upgrade bug.

a way to spend more money, like thinking about spgetting a new GPU, get faster ram, a better cpu, bigger SSD...

3 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

Curious about this part...

why do you say a HTPC takes a lot of tinkering?

I mean a pc can probably also lead to the constant upgrade bug.

a way to spend more money, like thinking about spgetting a new GPU, get faster ram, a better cpu, bigger SSD...

One word, Windows. I spend more time chasing problems than gaming on mine. Latest is the gamepad deciding to reset after a few minutes of play, so while gaming you get the notification chime when ever you plug or unplug something. Gamepad and dongle work fine when connected to a monitor, act up when connected to a TV. Same goes for screen tearing, chaising a problem with DX12 and Vulkan causing it. List goes on. Honestly don't know why Windows and televisions mix so poorly, makes no sense. But. 

1 hour ago, Gdourado said:

For a person that enjoys single player story driven games, rpgs, single player campaigns and is a couch gamer, that will only game at the couch with a controller at the TV, so no high refresh rate monitor and no keyboard and mouse.

Also, this person is an adult with a house to take care of and kids, so doesn't have all the time in the world and is not made of money.

Based on this scenario, what would be your choice and why?

The first part is something that speaks more for the PS4 PRO.

But the Kids part speaks more for Nintendo Stuff. 

But you can also get them a cheaper console like a Wii with wich they will have much fun as well.

So that's not necessarily a Problem.

Don't know much about Kids Games on PS4 though. How old are they??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Kids are still way out of videogames.

they still only see paw patrol and super wings.

they are very young.

games are daddy’s hobby.

3 hours ago, App4that said:

I get that, but damn LOL. Especially in UIs the difference is amazing, so much so you know right away when something doesn't scale. 

Haha, yeah. It's like when I gave my dad a monitor I bought. I can't stand 1080p on a 27" monitor, it gives me headaches. He loves it. *shrug*

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You could always pick up a PS4 secondhand for pretty cheap. Then you could enjoy both platforms.