Casual couch gamer with kids: Best option?

Gdourado

I would also suggest any game console (the one you want) over PC for your setup. Much easier and enjoyable experience for a TV setup in my opinion.

Games are specifically designed for the console in mind, no need to play with game settings when you get a new game you want to play with your kids to balance performance and visuals, costs less, depending on kids age and PC knowledge, they might also enjoy the "plug and play" approach of a console game over PC, and easy to play with their friends, and your friends (if you have any available for this)

Get controllers for your kids. Easily the best way for kids to bond is to play games together.

hi

pipes
Undervolting 5700 (not mine but important)

There's no reason you can't build a small budget PC for this, and use a PS4 emulator to get better performance and price.

On 5/2/2018 at 5:02 AM, Gdourado said:

Forgot to mention, single player only, so would not buy ps plus.

a pc is more expensive.

did the math and for the price of an i5 with a 1060, I could get both a PS4 pro and a Xbox one X and have both consoles for exclusives and the one x for the multiplats.

a pc doesn’t seem so expensive, but it can add up when you add all the parts.

ram price is high for ddr4. Then you need an SSD, a psu and a case, a controller, a wireless keyboard with trackpad, all that adds up.

games are 60 euros at launch for the PS4, true. Games at launch are usually 40-50 for the pc. There are sales for the pc, but if you shop around, there are also cheaper places to buy ps4 games.

Even when not buying used, you can build a much lower spec and therefore cheaper PC that costs less and still performs well above consoles.

12 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I would also suggest any game console (the one you want) over PC for your setup. Much easier and enjoyable experience for a TV setup in my opinion.

Games are specifically designed for the console in mind, no need to play with game settings when you get a new game you want to play with your kids to balance performance and visuals, costs less, depending on kids age and PC knowledge, they might also enjoy the "plug and play" approach of a console game over PC, and easy to play with their friends, and your friends (if you have any available for this)

OP said that he will not be buying Playstation Online, so there wouldn't be much of a difference between playing together with PC and console.

49 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

There's no reason you can't build a small budget PC for this, and use a PS4 emulator to get better performance and price.

What the heck are you talking about?!
For 250€ or 300/400€ you have to go for used parts, getting a (new) PC that's equal or better than PS4 PRO is impossible.

And what are you talking about the PS4 Emulator?! 

44 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

OP said that he will not be buying Playstation Online, so there wouldn't be much of a difference between playing together with PC and console.

How can I play Ratchet and Clank (legally) on a PC? 
Or Horizon Zero Dawn?
Or other PS4 Exclusives

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

11 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

How can I play Ratchet and Clank (legally) on a PC? 

It depends on the laws in your country of course, but in the USA you're allowed to play backup copies legally. It's a lot stricter than people realize though. Owning a copy doesn't mean you can download one. That's still illegal. You are legally required to rip your own physical copy yourself. That takes special hardware.

I've got no idea what the laws are in your country though, or the OP's (wherever that is).

Anyway, I vote PS4.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

9 hours ago, ArduinoBen said:

LOL. no PC can match the price to performance of a PS4. You got me to giggle. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 hours ago, App4that said:

LOL. no PC can match the price to performance of a PS4. You got me to giggle. 

Yeah, that's the problem.

You need to pay tripple of a PS4 or double of a PS4 PRO to have a decent gaming PC.

That that has a higher performance should be rather obvious, shouldn't it?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

14 hours ago, ArduinoBen said:

I'm curious to see this marvel in action.