Corporate Greed Corrupts Amazon as annual Prime Membership price increase for the first time in 4 years

AlTech

For the first time in 4 years, Amazon Prime Membership's annual subscription cost will be increasing $20 USD. According to Amazon CFO, this is allegedly because the cost of offering Prime features has increased.

The new price of Prime Student will go from $49/year to $59/year. And the new price for Prime will go from $99/year to $119/year.

Amazon announced on its earnings call Thursday that the price of its Prime membership will rise for US customers. Starting May 11, 2018, new Prime customers in the US will pay $119 annually for their memberships, and Prime Student customers will pay $59 annually. Existing Prime and Prime Student members will see their annual payments increase starting June 16, 2018.

Amazon CFO Brian Olsavsky made the announcement on the call, citing more Prime features and increasing costs as the reasons for the price hike. The online retailer has added a lot of new features to Prime over the past few years, including unlimited Prime Video streaming, free two-hour delivery in select areas, ad-free Twitch viewing when you link your account, special deals for Whole Foods customers, and more.

This price increase comes four years after the last—Amazon raised the price of a Prime membership from $79 to $99 back in 2014. Those who pay for Prime monthly will continue to pay $12.99 per month, which comes out to about $156 per year. That price rose from $10.99 earlier this year as well.

Amazon is likely hoping that the Prime perks will continue to attract new members—those who won't know a Prime price lower than $119.

So yeah, as an Amazon Prime Student customer still on my Prime Student 6 Month Free Trial (yeah you read that right xD) I'm not thrilled about these changes. Prime subscribers still get 2nd class pedestrian music listening services and don't come with Music Unlimited which is a damn shame.

Source: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/04/amazon-to-raise-annual-membership-price-of-prime-to-119/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

20€ a year with amazon.es ftw lol

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The new price of Prime Student will go from $39/year to $59/year.

Uhh, Student is currently $49/year.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, 2FA said:

Uhh, Student is currently $49/year.

it does? Arstechnica didn't mention that. The original article implied the price was $39/year

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

it does? Arstechnica didn't mention that. The original article implied the price was $39/year

b64c6cf4d4.png

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

And after 10 orders you've made your money back. I've placed 80 orders in the past 6 months alone and probably 95% have been 2, 1, or same-day shipping. Not sure how "corporate greed" plays into the need to keep up with rising costs.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I'm not sure I'd call that pure corporate greed (besides, aren't businesses out to make money?).  The perpetual problem with Prime has been that Amazon has stuffed loads of services into a fee that would normally get you just one.  You get Prime Video, Twitch Prime, music and Kindle services... oh, and of course, faster shipping.

I haven't heard anything so I assume this is a US only change (for now at least).

Also xD that title...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

To be honest, I couldn't care less. End up being worth it if you buy from Amazon regualrly anyways.

Edit: Oh, it only seems to be a change for US customers. Price is remaining the same here in the UK.

Fortunately, those who are signed-up to the annual subscription plan in the UK shouldn’t be affected by the price rise.

However, the Seattle-based company is looking to increase the annual plan in the United States by about 20 per cent.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/951973/Amazon-Prime-Price-Rise-Increase-UK

Considering I pretty much exclusively use Amazon for online ordering, use their video devices above Netflix or other competitors, stream their music every day because it's better than Pandora or any other competitors, have linked my Twitch account, and use the Kindle stuff, as well as student account, I cannot really complain.

The only thing I wish they'd bring back would be the free App of the day. U got a couple good gems, such as Wolfram Alpha, Zen pinball, and Minecraft for free with that feature.

22 hours ago, Technicolors said:

useful if you spend a lot on games. you get a 20% discount 

That savings is on hard copies not digital isn't it?

image.png.aaa1decf28e9f724d3eb740d53817175.png

Nothing here has changed lmao, harderly greed, if it was greedy they'd be changing the price every year. Get a grip.

Also how dare Amazon change the price of a already great package, free delivery, prime video, etc by $20 bucks, how fucking dare they. CORRUPT GREED I SAY

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

image.png.aaa1decf28e9f724d3eb740d53817175.png

Nothing here has changed lmao, harderly greed, if it was greedy they'd be changing the price every year. Get a grip.

Also how dare Amazon change the price of a already great package, free delivery, prime video, etc by $20 bucks, how fucking dare they. CORRUPT GREED I SAY

Oh, you forgot about how they actually take care of their employees. How dare they. Let me get my Pitchfork. I left it in the GPP protest, but I guess that's over for now...

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Oh, you forgot about how they actually take care of their employees. How dare they. Let me get my Pitchfork. I left it in the GPP protest, but I guess that's over for now...

How dare they offer somewhat decent wages and actually give their employee's $1000 of shares after completing 2 years of service, HOW DARE THEY

22 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Well...... Depends on which employees =/

Warehouse employees are pretty much treated like garbage from the stories I've seen every now and again.

22 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

How dare they offer somewhat decent wages and actually give their employee's $1000 of shares after completing 2 years of service, HOW DARE THEY

Well at current prices that's not even 1 share :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Okay? Its still hundreds of dollars of savings for me last year along, 300 off my computer, a hundred off a TV, and free shipping, who cares

Just now, Lurick said:

Well at current prices that's not even 1 share :P

Hey, still free shares ;) if amazon keeps going at the rate they're going, I'm sure it'll be worth some amount of money. 

And I'm just sitting here in my forth month of Amazon Trial Membership that I'm going to cancel again. I wonder how many times Amazon is gonna offer me a trial. I'm not gonna bite.LOL

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

I honestly can't tell if if this thread title is sarcastic or not... o.O

It's fairly good bait tbh

9 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

I'd rather have the $500 bonus each year. 

This is total greed though. Amazon charges much less for Prime in other countries, can charge less than half for students and still make more profit than expected.

When i had prime i only used the 2 day shipping occasionally because it was more like 2-4 days,and they shoved everything I ordered into the post mail instead of UPS or Fedex. Prime video, maybe worth it but the selection could still be better.

Most people also ignore that the warehouse conditions are really bad,like not even restroom breaks during whole shifts bad because who cares you get 2 day shipping.

Edited by Blademaster91
quoted wrong person >.<