What happens to all of the PCs built at Linus Media Group?

Go to solution Solved by Wh0_Am_1,
6 minutes ago, The Cheeto Bomb said:

I think it would be nice if they sold them if they were gonna just tear them down.

Most of that hardware is reused for future videos, tests, builds, and etc.

I have seen TONS (not IRL but in the videos) of PCs made at Linus Media Group and I kinda want to know what happens to all of those PCs.

Main pc

CPU: AMD RYZEN 2200G || GPU: EVGA GTX 780 || PSU: EVGA 500W  ||  MOBO: MSI B350M MORTAR ||

RAM: BALLISTIX SPORT LT 12GB (4X3) DDR4 3133 MHz ||  CPU COOLER: AMD WRAITH STEALTH || SSD: SILICON POWER S55 120GB (BOOT) ||

HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB BLUE 7.2K RPM, 200GB random Toshiba HDD || CASE: Thermaltake View 28 ||

Consoles

|| XBOX 360 || NINTENDO WII U || PLAYSTATION 3 || PSVita (1000 model, henkaku fw 3.87 || NINTENDO 3DS XL || Nintendo Switch Lite ||

1 minute ago, The Cheeto Bomb said:

I have seen TONS (not IRL but in the videos) of PCs made at Linus Media Group and I kinda want to know what happens to all of those PCs.

Welcome to the Forums!

They've mention this before but most get torn down and put back into inventory, there are some such as the Desk PC which have become Linus's personal work PC. 

If they're sponsored builds, they might get taken apart and the components sent back, or if LMG owns them, they re-purpose them, or take them apart and store the parts for later builds.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Welcome to the Forums!

They've mention this before but most get torn down and put back into inventory, there are some such as the Desk PC which have become Linus's personal work PC. 

I think it would be nice if they sold them if they were gonna just tear them down.

Main pc

CPU: AMD RYZEN 2200G || GPU: EVGA GTX 780 || PSU: EVGA 500W  ||  MOBO: MSI B350M MORTAR ||

RAM: BALLISTIX SPORT LT 12GB (4X3) DDR4 3133 MHz ||  CPU COOLER: AMD WRAITH STEALTH || SSD: SILICON POWER S55 120GB (BOOT) ||

HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB BLUE 7.2K RPM, 200GB random Toshiba HDD || CASE: Thermaltake View 28 ||

Consoles

|| XBOX 360 || NINTENDO WII U || PLAYSTATION 3 || PSVita (1000 model, henkaku fw 3.87 || NINTENDO 3DS XL || Nintendo Switch Lite ||

3 minutes ago, The Cheeto Bomb said:

they get alot of the stuff from sponsors who either take it back or might not allow the sale of said equipment
also if they sold everything , how would they test and compare hardware ? you need hardware for that 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

That doesn't make any sense. They reuse components over and over again in future builds.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

they get alot of the stuff from sponsors who either take it back or might not allow the sale of said equipment
also if they sold everything , how would they test and compare hardware ? you need hardware for that 

I guess.

Main pc

Consoles

Most of that hardware is reused for future videos, tests, builds, and etc.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

All lies. Linus has a secret Bitcoin Mining facility under the office. Why do you think he drives a Lambo?

He clearly owns Intel, AMD, Nvidia, ASUS, EVGA, EK water blocks, Noctua, and more. I mean look at all the fancy hardware he has, and gives away like nothing to his 3 year old kid. All this YouTube is nothing more than a facade. He is the real puppet master to these big corp facilities. And the shortage of GPU and memory chips is all part of the grand scheme of things by Linus Media Group

Oh crap!.. I said too m

Much of it also remain on the shelves until it become ignificsntly obsolete.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

All lies. Linus has a secret Bitcoin Mining facility under the office. Why do you think he drives a Lambo?

He clearly owns Intel, AMD, Nvidia, ASUS, EVGA, EK water blocks, Noctua, and more. I mean look at all the fancy hardware he has, and gives away like nothing to his 3 year old kid. All this YouTube is nothing more than a facade. He is the real puppet master to these big corp facilities. And the shortage of GPU and memory chips is all part of the grand scheme of things by Linus Media Group

Oh crap!.. I said too m

Illuminati Confirmed. xD 

Oh crap!.. I said too m

Even the builds for the kids got torn down lol 

And the shortage of GPU and memory chips is all part of the grand scheme of things by Linus Media Group

mmmm

linus-tech-tips-13-gpus-in-one-pc-mining-adventure-part-2-972x547.jpg.e530b8a3154ec8e65d7af2117b93967d.jpg

14 hours ago, The Cheeto Bomb said:

Selling a PC every now and then is much more costly and requires more work than you might think. And would cause massive crying in community. For few reasons, like pricing (what price is to used for parts given for free), shipping (making it essentially only US/CA or even CA) and possibly more paper work for who ever does their bookkeeping and taxes (Yvonne?).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Didn't LTT at some point sold custom made rigs?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

On 4/16/2018 at 6:58 PM, Princess Cadence said:

Didn't LTT at some point sold custom made rigs?

No. They had store for review items, but only those they had bought by themselves. And even then shipping was handled by NCIX. If you are thinking youtuber who made custom rigs before, that would be Jay (maybe others that I don't follow). Linus has made custom rigs, but only when he worked at NCIX. LTT/LMG has always been media company only.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

unless they arte building for a specific purpose, which is normally stated in the video, e.g. petabyte project the builds are dismantled, I would imagine that there is a few exceptions to this. Some times they are kept for a bit, for  example the rig which ran multiple VR systems is still running because they want it for LTX, and I am sure that there is a build or two they might of kept as they looked cool or something but majority of the time they are dismantled

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more