Xiaomi wants their own Gaming Phone

WMGroomAK

In a bid to give Razor a bit of competition (or add more PUBG mobile players I guess)  Xiaomi has announced their plans for a Gaming Smartphone.  This phone will be running a Snapdragon 845 with an Adreno 630 GPU and 8 GB of RAM and using a 5.99-inch IPS display with 97% coverage of DCI-P3 color space a 550 nit brightness.  One of the features I thought sounded unique is that they supposedly have some sort of multi-stage direct contact liquid cooling system, which can supposedly drop CPU temps by 8-degrees C.

2018-04-13-image-12.jpg.9e250165243437d9927f57368900f463.jpg

2018-04-13-image-11.thumb.jpg.d78d63960915cfd8806d5779f17addec.jpg

Hot Hardware: https://hothardware.com/news/xiaomi-blackshark-android-gaming-phone-snapdragon-845-8gb-ram-128gb-storage

Xiaomi has taken the wraps off its new Blackshark handset that was teased earlier this week, thereby giving Razer some competition in the Android smartphone gaming space. It's a niche category for sure, though the specs on these devices rival (and in many cases surpass) flagship phones from other manufacturers that are not necessarily aimed at gamers, but boast high-end hardware nonetheless.

In this case, the Blackshark does not match the 120Hz refresh that is a standout feature of the Razer Phone's display. However, it does boast a 5.99-inch IPS Pixelworks panel will a Full HD+ resolution and 97 percent coverage of the DCI-P3 color space, and an impressive 550 nits brightness level. Xiaomi is pitching the display as a highlight of the Blackshark, noting that it offers a comprehensive tone-mapping pipeline to render HDR410 videos that are true to the creator's intent.

Powering it all is Qualcomm's top-end Snapdragon 845 processor with an Adreno 630 GPU, paired with a generous 8GB of RAM. That combination should give the Blackshark plenty of pep, just as we have seen on a spattering of other phones that run the same system-on-chip (but typically with less RAM). On the storage front, the phone offers up to 128GB of space (minus whatever is needed for the OS and other custom bits)

Techspot: https://www.techspot.com/news/74149-xiaomi-launches-black-shark-compete-razer-phone.html

A multi-stage direct contact liquid cooling system can keep the Black Shark running in high performance mode for an extended period of time. Upon engagement, the liquid cooling system can bring the CPU temperature down by 8°C.

Xiaomi's Black Shark is available for pre-order today and is expected to ship on April 20. Pricing is set at CNY2,999 and CNY3,499 for the 6GB/64GB and 8GB/128GB models respectively. Converting to US currency, that is $477 and $557. Black Shark Gamepads will be included free for the first 50,000 customers. After that, they will be sold separately for CNY179 or about $28.

Wonder if this would perform any better than the Liquid Metal mod that Linus did on the Razor Phone...  Also wonder how good the battery life is on this given that they are going with a 4000 mAH. Although the 20 MP front and back facing cameras make for some impressive specs.

Gaming? Like as in you can dock it somewhere and use it as a desktop/ laptop form?

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

Gaming? Like as in you can dock it somewhere and use it as a desktop/ laptop form?

No, probably as in "you can add this word to your product and automatically sell more"

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

2 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Not that I've read.  Appears to be more geared towards mobile gaming, especially with more games adding in mobile ports.  Although the first 50,000 pre-orders get a free Gamepad accessory that docks onto the side.

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

No, probably as in "you can add this word to your product and automatically sell more"

If their cooling works well then it is a good step forward as phones tend to thermal throttle fast.
But yeah I would rather get a switch and play on that.

I must say, the price is impressive considering the specs.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Apparently ZTE is set to release a gaming phone as well in the coming months. Looks like Razer is setting a new trend. This thing has too much glossy plastic. I had to seen the grey version though, it's definitely nicer. Not my style at all though. At least Razers phone didn't scream "look at me! I game!" 

Your title confuses me. They don't want their one gaming phone. They clearly already have it. 

1 hour ago, Okjoek said:

I don't know why that'd be tied to gaming. Sounds more like a convertable. 

1 hour ago, Snapperx said:

If their cooling works well then it is a good step forward as phones tend to thermal throttle fast.
But yeah I would rather get a switch and play on that.

Kind of a different market than the Switch though :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'd rather switch to iPhone than have a "gaming" phone that looks like it was styled after those $20 knock-off mice on Amazon.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Kind of a different market than the Switch though :P

Well what is the market for "gaming" phones though :D?
Like every Flagship basically performs very well in games despite being "gaming".

Just now, Snapperx said:

Well what is the market for "gaming" phones though :D?
Like every Flagship basically performs very well in games despite being "gaming".

The Switch isn't a phone...

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The Switch isn't a phone...

Oh really? Didn't know that. /s
Still doesn't answer my question on what the market for a "gaming" phone is. As I stated all flagship phones performs very well on games.

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

I'd rather switch to iPhone than have a "gaming" phone that looks like it was styled after those $20 knock-off mice on Amazon.

Tbh, the iPhone tends to get decent games first anyway.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

ha aha hahahaha!!!! *Xiaomi gaming phone* Not if their ram management it as bad as it currently is!

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

Gaming phones don’t exist. Especially if they use Snapdragon off the shelf components. 

Just adding a bigger battery and coming up with a somewhat over engineered cooling solution doesn’t make it a gaming phone. 

You need Graphics performance and if it’s just using generic Snapdragon SoCs then really every phone is a gaming phone isn’t it?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

16 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Gaming phones don’t exist. Especially if they use Snapdragon off the shelf components. 

Just adding a bigger battery and coming up with a somewhat over engineered cooling solution doesn’t make it a gaming phone. 

You need Graphics performance and if it’s just using generic Snapdragon SoCs then really every phone is a gaming phone isn’t it?

Snapdragons have no shortage of graphics performance. Among SoCs, they're probably only seconded by Apple in this regard (the SD820 walloped the Exynos 8890 in graphics benches, for example). The cpu performance and driver support however, tend to be the points of contention.

My eyes see the past…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Snapdragons have no shortage of graphics performance. Among SoCs, they're probably only seconded by Apple in this regard (the SD820 walloped the Exynos in graphics benches, for example). The cpu performance and driver support however, tend to be the points of contention.

Yeah but if every device has a SnapDragon SoC what makes this phones graphics performance alluring? With only a 4,000mAh battery and a meh screen what is to stop someone from getting any other old phone with the same specs save for probably having a better everything else xD  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah but if every device has a SnapDragon SoC what makes this phones graphics performance alluring? With only a 4,000mAh battery and a meh screen what is to stop someone from getting any other old phone with the same specs save for probably having a better everything else xD  

By your definition, a TI-80 would be a "gaming calculator" because Doom can be ran on it. :P

My eyes see the past…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

By your definition, a TI-80 would be a "gaming calculator" because Doom can be ran on it. :P

No, I'm saying that if every device has the same flagships SnapDragon SoC what makes a phone "gaming" is only its display and battery life. 

I personally do not think gaming phones exist, but if they did they would not be what the Razor Phone and this phone are doing. 

They would need massive batteries, 60+Hz displays, ergonomic shapes, stereo speakers, and a custom SoC focused on graphics performance rather than single/multi threaded performance. 

The current "gaming phones" dont' really hit those marks making it more compelling imo to just buy a flagship device with the same SoC. 

15 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Better cooling. The newer SD800 series chips throttle to the point that going from the 820 to the 845 yields slight improvements in gaming when there's a good bit of difference in benchmarks. It's almost like going from 4770K @ stock vs 7700K @ 4.7GHz to 6700K vs 7700K, both at stock, moving from benchmark to real world.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, I'm saying that if every device has the same flagships SnapDragon SoC what makes a phone "gaming" is only its display and battery life. 

I personally do not think gaming phones exist, but if they did they would not be what the Razor Phone and this phone are doing. 

They would need massive batteries, 60+Hz displays, ergonomic shapes, stereo speakers, and a custom SoC focused on graphics performance rather than single/multi threaded performance. 

The current "gaming phones" dont' really hit those marks making it more compelling imo to just buy a flagship device with the same SoC. 

If this thing can maintain full clocks without throttling for some time, the "gaming" bit would be warranted, if barely. Though we'd need to see to believe.

My eyes see the past…

45 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

So it needs a custom chip to be considered "gaming"? By your logic then you need to have a special gaming branded CPU and GPU to have a "gaming" PC then,lol. I don't see the point of a 120Hz panel in a 5-6" display, if the game isn't running 120fps and it just drains the battery anyway.

The active cooling, 6/8GB ram,and bigger battery make it more for gaming than most phones. This is a really nice phone for the cost with a top end SOC and lots of RAM, i'd just put in a case so I wouldn't have to see the "Razer-like" backing. ITT: people who didn't even look at the article, It  also comes with a gamepad with a battery for extended use.

Xiaomi_Blackshark_Gamepad.jpg

Edited by Blademaster91
spelling/grammar

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

ITT: people who didn't even look at the article, It  also comes with a gamepad with a battery for extended use.

It's free only to the first 50K that buy. If it sells like hot cakes, then people that waited need to buy it separately.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

So it needs a custom chip to be considered "gaming"? By your logic then you need to have a special gaming branded CPU and GPU to have a "gaming" then,

As far as GPUs are concerned yes. Going for a SoC focused on graphics performance rather than general use would be my main focus in designing a phone for gaming. 

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

It's free only to the first 50K that buy. If it sells like hot cakes, then people that waited need to buy it separately.

oops, I missed that part. I'd wait to see how good this phone is, not sure if the gamepad is worth it separately then.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

oops, I missed that part. I'd wait to see how good this phone is, not sure if the gamepad is worth it separately then.

I don't think its worthwhile when its free. Something more like the Switch Joycons would probably be better.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.