Spyro Remastered on PS4 and XBox

Ryujin2003

The Crash Bandicoot trilogy remaster was one of the biggest hits of 2017, selling more copies than plenty of major new releases. So it should come as no surprise that the next classic PlayStation franchise to get the remaster treatment is Spyro the Dragon. 

Following months of rumours, leaks and speculation, Activision officially announced Spyro Reignited Trilogy, the Spyro remaster headed to consoles later this year. Here's all we know about the Spyro remaster, including the official release date, platform support and gameplay information. 

In the first 3 months of its release, Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy Remastered sold over 2.5 million copies. Considering these were classic games for child gamers, I'm sure us as adults are excited to purchase and play them again.

So..When? Well, Spyro originally came out in 1998, so this year marks its 20th anniversary. Activision confirmed that it is going to be released this September.

Prior to the announcement of the game, fans speculated that since the original first came out in September (in the US and Japan at least), the remaster would arrive in the same month: September 2018.

This was confirmed by Activision during the reveal of the Spyro Reignited Trilogy, which is confirmed as being released on 21 September 2018 in the UK, US and the rest of the world.

So, now the big question (with the spoiler in the title), what platforms will this come to? Well, Activision confirmed that it will be on XBox and PS4, but stated that it will not be released for Switch or PC. I don't think this is a solid answer, considering that Crash Bandicoot was a PS4 exclusive, and is now slated for release on PC. I do think that this will come to PC for those who do not have consoles; however, I do agree with release on consoles. I mean it was on Playstation originally, so it makes sense.

Prior to the official announcement, many assumed that Spyro Reignited Trilogy would be a PS4 exclusive. That's the strategy publisher Activision followed with the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy  , and it worked wonders. It makes sense too - the original Spyro trilogy were all PlayStation exclusives, and any remaster would hope to trade in on the nostalgia factor by targeting current PS4 owners.

But, here's the twist; unlike with Crash Bandicoot, Activision has announced that Spyro Reignited Trilogy will be available for both PS4 and Xbox One at launch. While Switch and PC gamers still miss out on the remastered action, it's great news for Xbox fans. We assume that there will be PS4 Pro and Xbox One X support for shiny 4K visuals too. 

This being a remastered means that there is more to this than just pushing it to the new platform. There are going to be updates to keep things with modern visuals and allows you to keep the previous childhood nostalgia. Having played the remastered Crash, I think this will be totally fine. Unlike Crash, I do hope that they can make the controls a bit smoother and responsive. That would definitely be appreciated.

So, what should we expect from the Spyro remaster? The game isn't being developed by original developer Insomniac Games as the company is focusing on the PS4-exclusive Spider-man game, and is leaving Toys for Bob to handle remaster duties.

Spyro Reignited Trilogy will feature new assets, animations and cinematics to bring the visuals up to standards with modern games, while keeping some of the charm of the 90s classic. The game has been "remade from the ground up" according to Activision, offering "updated controls" and "brand-new lighting". 

Kotaku claims that the game will include an update to the save system to make it a little more user-friendly, as was the case with the Crash remaster.

In terms of content, the game is will include all three classic titles; Spyro The Dragon, Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! and Spyro: Year of the Dragon. 

There is also said to be user interface changes, to a) modernise things, and b) unify them across the three games, which each featured slightly different systems.

Whatever happens, it should look much better than the original did. If you can't remember (or you're too young!) then take a look at the below video to jog your memory!

For anyone interested, Toys for Bob is an American video game developer based in California. They worked the remaster for Crash Bandicoot for Nintendo Switch, and have produced the Skylanders series (which I've never played). Here is a list of their games:

Year Game Platform(s)
1990 Star Control[2][6] Amiga, Commodore 64, MS-DOS, Sega Genesis
1992 Star Control II[2][7] 3DO, MS-DOS
1994 The Horde[2][8] 3DO, MS-DOS, Sega Saturn
1996 Pandemonium![2][9] Microsoft Windows, PlayStation, Sega Saturn
1998 The Unholy War[2][10] PlayStation
1999 Majokko Daisakusen: Little Witching Mischiefs[2][11] PlayStation
2000 102 Dalmatians: Puppies to the Rescue[2][12] Dreamcast, Game Boy Color, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation
2003 Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure[2][13] GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox
2005 Madagascar GameCube, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2, Xbox
2006 Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam PlayStation 2, Wii
2008 Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox 360
2011 Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure Microsoft Windows, OS X, PlayStation 3, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360
2012 Skylanders: Giants PlayStation 3, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360
2014 Skylanders: Trap Team Android, iOS, Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One
2016 Skylanders: Imaginators Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One
2018 Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy Nintendo Switch
Spyro Reignited Trilogy PlayStation 4, Xbox One

So, I'm pretty excited. I have felt there haven't been too many child friendly games that aren't incredibly... um.. I'll leave my choice words to myself. I don't like my child playing multiplayer games online because I find the console environment to be pretty toxic (young kids and teens are horribly vulgar and mean to other players). Trying to find a single player game has been relatively tough. Outside of Need for Speed, Minecraft, Crash, and Little Big Planet, we've been trying to find a game that is more child age appropriate for our kid. This will definitely be picked up, and I think he'll have a blast.

I'm excited, because I never had the full game experience. We were poor growing up, so I got to play Spyro on the free demo CD's from Walmart. I got to play the full game at friends houses. I'm very excited to get my game on with this.

Original source: https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-product/game/spyro-the-dragon-trilogy-remaster-3662414/

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Im surprised it took so long to reach news here. 

I kinda wish I didnt sell my PS4 because I loved the spyro games and this looks like a better reboot than Crash

If it's on XBox, can't you play it on PC with the XBox live connect, what-cha-m-call it thing?

Little surprised it took a bit for this to show up, almost a week after.

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

You cant play Spyro on Xbox or PC you barbarian!!!!!! Its just not right

:P

It does feel wrong to play Spyro on anything other than a PlayStation. Maybe I'm weird though.

never finished the first one cause i didn't have a memory card

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

never finished the first one cause i didn't have a memory card

Totally forgot about that. Now, you've got Spyro on the cloud.

Well at least Spyro looks how he's supposed to, and not that God-awful model from skylanders.

Hope they remaster dawn of the dragon at some point too. Cynder was more fun to play (or give her her own game)

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 minutes ago, JediFragger said:

Never played it, missing nothing.

Missing everything.  It's a classic in my eyes. And I believe the majority of those who will purchase it probably played it as a child.

Yeah it's one of best platformers ever. Can't wait for it to make Steam.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

37 minutes ago, rockking1379 said:

Spyro on Xbox is just wrong. 

It's Activision, so anything to make that sweet financial benefit off the needs of the peons valued consumers. I will buy it.. Because it's Spyro... And will shame myself for giving money to Activision at the same time... This isn't a just world. lol

Title is a bit misleading. The Spyro trilogy is being remade visually, much like the Crash Bandicoot trilogy was but is otherwise being left untouched. Otherwise I'm looking forward to the game...if it comes to PC...

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

4 hours ago, rockking1379 said:

Spyro on Xbox is just wrong. 

More people playing a remake of an old classic is just wrong.........

3 hours ago, Carclis said:

Title is a bit misleading. The Spyro trilogy is being remade visually, much like the Crash Bandicoot trilogy was but is otherwise being left untouched. Otherwise I'm looking forward to the game...if it comes to PC...

Title is fixed, thanks for pointing that out.

4 hours ago, Carclis said:

It'll likely come at some point(6-12 months is my guess), after all we are getting the PS "exclusive" crash trilogy in july.

2 hours ago, CyanideInsanity said:

It'll likely come at some point(6-12 months is my guess), after all we are getting the PS "exclusive" crash trilogy in july.

I hope so. I didn't think Crash Bandicoot had been confirmed for PC yet? There's a link in the OP which would suggest this but only contains an article that talks about the sales and success of the game.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

Are childhood friday nights and saturday mornings coming back ?

This sure as hell feels like they are >.>

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

13 minutes ago, Carclis said:

I hope so. I didn't think Crash Bandicoot had been confirmed for PC yet? There's a link in the OP which would suggest this but only contains an article that talks about the sales and success of the game.

Fixed, thanks for mentioning my links were jacked up.

https://www.pcgamer.com/crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy-is-coming-to-pc-later-this-year/

9 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Are childhood friday nights and saturday mornings coming back ?

This sure as hell feels like they are >.>

Now, waiting on Transformers Beast Wars remastered in 4k.

3 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

https://www.pcgamer.com/crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy-is-coming-to-pc-later-this-year/

Now, waiting on Transformers Beast Wars remastered in 4k.

Patiently waiting on the old CN and boomerang to come back also.... Ahh the Dragonball Z, Gundam Wing, Zoids and Sailor Moon marathons *sheds nostalgic tear*

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

17 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Well, I guess I'm gonna be $40 poorer on July 10.

50 minutes ago, Carclis said:

Already got a steam page. http://store.steampowered.com/app/731490/Crash_Bandicoot_N_Sane_Trilogy/

20 minutes ago, CyanideInsanity said:

Yeah I saw quite a few articles saying that the game was rumoured to come to PC eventually, all of them on WCCFtech and so I didn't think them to be true. I guess I got WCCFtech-ed xD

7 hours ago, Carclis said:

The N. Sane trilogy was remade ground up, there were various bug fixes, and Crash's hit box is a pill shape in the N. Sane trilogy, it used to be just a box.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.