Shooting/Gunman at Youtube Headquarters

rcmaehl
Message added by PCGuy_5960

Discussing politics is against the CS. If this discussion continues the thread will be locked.

According to the BBC one possible motive was a grievance against YOUTUBE for

Content filtering

I remember Linus saying there was significant changes to YouTube's TOS for producing videos relative to the recent past, not long ago. That this affects YouTube viewership significantly. 

Given that it potentially stopped viewership it's not too big a leap to think that someone with a mental health issue might think their voice was being strangled by YouTube. In their mind. Speculatively?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43635864

San Bruno police identified the suspect as Nasim Aghdam, a Californian resident of Iranian descent.

She appeared often on YouTube and in one of her videos criticised the platform for discriminating against and filtering her posts.

YouTube terminated her account following the shooting. Her Instagram and Facebook accounts have also been removed.

On her personal website she accused YouTube of taking steps to prevent her videos from getting views.

"There is no equal growth opportunity on YouTube or any other video sharing site. Your channel will grow if they want to!" she wrote.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

So anyone else read the news about the shooter at youtube HQ? 

I know the woman is a bit crazy to go this far, but what i'm getting from all this is that she did it because her videos got demonetized right?

If that's the case, it should have something to do with the recent changes to their policy.

Why would she go this far for a few dollars per month? 

That's YouTube's justification for the initial changes isn't it?

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Apparently the suspected attacker was disgruntled with Youtube after some/all of her videos were either demonetised and/or the rates per view she was receiving was extremely low. Some are alluding that this was the motivation for the attack.

Includes video of the suspected attacker complaining that youtube was discriminating against her
https://news.sky.com/video/aghdam-accuses-youtube-of-discrimination-11316120

Her youtube profile has been deleted, and displays the following message if you try to visit it however it still displays some information in the search list.

image.png.b99bc1634ac069b4aea26362549a829e.png

All of her videos are deleted, however some youtube users are re-uploading her videos to the service. I won't bother linking them cause they will either be pulled down pretty quickly, and/or I don't want the re-uploaders profiting from the views due to the situation. You can search her youtube username and find some of the videos she has made uploaded by other people. Based on the few that I have seen, the quality of her videos is extremely poor. It would make sense if there were little to no advertisement options available for her videos.

It's my understand that Ads served by youtube are typically bought per category of the videos/channels. For example to purchase ad space on a tech channel/videos may be more expensive than ad space on a fitness video.

I'm curious, could it just have been a case where Youtube didn't have any available ads to serve up, or the payment rate for her category was simply just incredibly low?
I can't imagine non-English Persian-Iranian feminist & animal rights activist, vegan cooking & lifestyle videos are exactly the priority ad space that major advertisers are hoping to buy.

It's extremely likely that the account took the Ad-pocalpyse really hard, given the content and the likelihood she didn't comment things correctly. But, for this case, what I meant by "crazy eyes" wasn't in the "Freak in the Sheets" variety. I mean in the clinical sociopathy sense. Those aren't even the effect of "glam" photos. All of them show unnatural eye focus & lack of emotion. A completely unexpressive face is a sign of an inability to process certain visual stimulus, and if you come across someone like that, hide the kids & find some weaponry. 

At this point, I'm sort of surprised she didn't light herself on fire. It's a Persian thing, if you want to read up on it.

The demonetization and partnership requirements only majorly affect those who make offensive content or have channels that are so small that it doesn't make a difference. Channels only making like 5-10 bucks a month or morons like Logan Paul shouldn't bitch about it, and neither should this shooter.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

56 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

At this point, I'm sort of surprised she didn't light herself on fire. It's a Persian thing, if you want to read up on it.

It's a everywhere thing, guy tried to do that at the place I worked last summer :/ Police stormed him down before he could tho

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bcat00 said:

Why would she go this far for a few dollars per month? 

Because she was crazy.

She was making videos in Persian about animal rights and veganism. When her videos didn't make as much money as she hoped, she blamed Youtube for "suppressing the truth".

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Because she was crazy.

She was making videos in Persian about animal rights and veganism. When her videos didn't make as much money as she hoped, she blamed Youtube for "suppressing the truth".

Pretty much this.  Expecting a rational motive from someone who was seemingly incapable of completely rational thought is in itself irrational.

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Pretty much this.  Expecting a rational motive from someone who was seemingly incapable of completely rational thought is in itself irrational.

It's kinda true when they say that "money is the root of all evil," huh?

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

6 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

well we don't know it was attributed to demonitization. It could simply be a classic case of unhinged ideological extremism. We've seen it before all over the planet.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

14 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

well we don't know it was attributed to demonitization. It could simply be a classic case of unhinged ideological extremism. We've seen it before all over the planet.

I mean... She did post constantly that YouTube was out to get her... And then she shot up YouTube... But who needs Occam's Razor in 2018?

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

I mean... She did post constantly that YouTube was out to get her... And then she shot up YouTube... But who needs Occam's Razor in 2018?

that's what i'm saying!

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

36 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

Technically, the quote is: "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil" at least in that translation, It's not saying that Money does cause EVERY evil, it's saying it CAN.

Full Bible Verse:

Spoiler

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

‭‭I Timothy ‭6:10

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

4 minutes ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Technically, the quote is: "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil" at least in that translation, It's not saying that Money does cause EVERY evil, it's saying it CAN.

Full Bible Verse:

Hide contents

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

http://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/family-alleged-youtube-shooter-warned-police/story

The police were informed that something was likely to happen. It seems that they acted as fast as they could on this one, but that just isn't fast enough.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, GilmourD said:
Spoiler

I just feel like linking random, Money related songs now. . .

Spoiler

Spoiler

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

35 minutes ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

please don't. doesn't follow the thread topic and could get it locked.

System specs:

36 minutes ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Well, the song I posted specifically had the line I referenced earlier in it. :P

[Coin Intro]

[Verse 1: David Gilmour]
Money, get away
Get a good job with more pay and you're okay
Money, it's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
New car, caviar, four-star daydream
Think I'll buy me a football team

[Verse 2: David Gilmour]
Money, get back
I'm all right Jack keep your hands off of my stack
Money, it's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good bullshit
I'm in the high-fidelity first class travelling set
And I think I need a Lear jet

[Solo]

[Verse 3: David Gilmour]
Money, it's a crime
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today

But if you ask for a rise
It's no surprise that they're giving none away
Away away away
Away away away

46 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

http://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/family-alleged-youtube-shooter-warned-police/story

The police were informed that something was likely to happen. It seems that they acted as fast as they could on this one, but that just isn't fast enough.

link doesn't work. likely pulled?

image.png.7971fb066ae0b1eab357ed16449b4f66.png

update: link restored

http://abcnews.go.com/US/family-alleged-youtube-shooter-warned-police/story?id=54224487&cid=clicksource_4380645_1_hero_headlines_bsq_hed

System specs:

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

please don't. doesn't follow the thread topic and could get it locked.

(Hides under chair)

2 minutes ago, GilmourD said:
Spoiler

Well, the song I posted specifically had the line I referenced earlier in it. :P

[Coin Intro]

[Verse 1: David Gilmour]
Money, get away
Get a good job with more pay and you're okay
Money, it's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
New car, caviar, four-star daydream
Think I'll buy me a football team

[Verse 2: David Gilmour]
Money, get back
I'm all right Jack keep your hands off of my stack
Money, it's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good bullshit
I'm in the high-fidelity first class travelling set
And I think I need a Lear jet

[Solo]

[Verse 3: David Gilmour]
Money, it's a crime
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today

But if you ask for a rise
It's no surprise that they're giving none away
Away away away
Away away away

I heard that, I imagine it is referencing the Bible verse I mentioned earlier.

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

1 hour ago, GilmourD said:

51 minutes ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Full Bible Verse:

Hide contents

The KJV's translation of the line makes it too declarative rather than informative, along with eliminating the visual illustration of the passage. This and "thou shalt not kill" are two of the bigger translation errors in the KJV. 

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

link doesn't work. likely pulled?

Perhaps. It's just a link to a Google recommended article by ABC.

It's not important enough to me to look for specifically though. In the end, anti gun feels and trying to make a solution proven to not work in the US law is what brings in the views.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

The demonetization and partnership requirements only majorly affect those who make offensive content or have channels that are so small that it doesn't make a difference. Channels only making like 5-10 bucks a month or morons like Logan Paul shouldn't bitch about it, and neither should this shooter.

Thats not what Linus Sebastian said.

The prophet speaketh.

Published on 19 Jan 2018 :

00:17:05 - YouTube Partner Program changes

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

55 minutes ago, LoganTNZ said:

To stop mass shootings, why not just ban youtube?

that's not the issue.

System specs:

Maybe she was not getting her attention fix on youtube so decided to take drastic action instead. Now she has all the attention she needs for a short while.