Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

2 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I scrape off that kind of paste with a dead DDR2 SODIMM that I keep around for that very purpose.

Surprised that's safe to use on the die, will try! Will a DIMM work though or is it incompatible with the paste? /s

Ran across this at a thrift store today. Price was cheap enough that i was almost tempted to buy it to see if it would still function with W10. It says it comes with $200 worth of free software... A bargain at any price! 😉

IMG_20220205_125835.jpg

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

Recently got this GPU not sure if I just suck at looking things up but not sure what it is. If you know what it is I would really like to know too thanks in advance.

1644259300130.jpg

1644259141018.jpg

1 minute ago, pwarrow88 said:

Recently got this GPU not sure if I just suck at looking things up but not sure what it is. If you know what it is I would really like to know too thanks in advance.

It's a Radeon HD 8490.

elephants

5 minutes ago, pwarrow88 said:

I hope you didn't pay more than about $15 shipped for that.  It's not very good even for a sub $20 card.

Hmmm but the die does not seem to match or is this a different revision also the card I have seem to only have half the pcie lane precent.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

I hope you didn't pay more than about $15 shipped for that.  It's not very good even for a sub $20 card.

Nah I got it for free just found it as scraps while looking though old pcs.

2 minutes ago, pwarrow88 said:

Hmmm but the die does not seem to match or is this a different revision ?

I looked up "OUGA11"; that matches the HD 8490.

If you plug it into a computer and boot up GPU-Z, it can tell you what it is for sure (or at least the die).

elephants

I mean I been itching to do that. well time to pull out my test bench haha. Will update you on what I find later on. Thanks for you help : )

On 1/28/2022 at 6:58 PM, Mel0nMan said:

ATI's real-time Animusic Pipe Dream demo. (CRT flicker epilepsy warning)

Intended for the Radeon 9700 but leave it to ATI to not lock down their demo so it runs on literally any DX9 GPU, even their competitors' cards... 

I have an Inspiron 8600 with an ATI MOBILITY 9600 PRO TURBO (yes all caps, that's what it identifies as in every piece of software). Runs at a solid 15 FPS stock, when OC'ed 16-17. It's a really smooth 15 though, no stutters, and since the only thing that moves fast is the marbles, and they are blurry anyways. 

Can anyone tell me what the framerate was on a desktop 9600 (turbo? dunno if that branding carried over into the desktop market)?

Just wondering if they could just put the desktop card into a laptop considering the small amount of cooling required.

34 minutes ago, pwarrow88 said:

1644259300130.jpg

1644259141018.jpg

Ayo it’s my old pfp!

1CED24A1-D529-47F3-B3F4-68B1E9AE2DE8.gif.fe33219b894b17e274ec8b0342fb34a0.gif

Yes that’s a hd 8490 aka r5 240

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

Beast of a P4 - 1 core, 2 threads, 3.6ghz. .6ghz higher clock that my current HT 631.

Prescott, right? Every one thought they ran so hot but really they weren't that bad....just not very efficient per clock sadly. When you had the right work they worked well but I feel like Intel built them to benchmark better than they actually performed real world.

9 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I thought that they only went to 3.2Ghz. What happened to the 3.2Ghz "Extreme Edition"?

I have a Prescott P4 that runs at 3.4 GHz.

Socket 478 but still.

elephants

19 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Prescott, right? Every one thought they ran so hot but really they weren't that bad....just not very efficient per clock sadly. When you had the right work they worked well but I feel like Intel built them to benchmark better than they actually performed real world.

Since it’s still school for me all I could do is test for post in a free period and it works, don’t have any bench figures for the 3.6ghz but the 3ghz never got above 60 on any cinebench it could run. Partly to this impressive OEM cooler, quite the beefcake for an sff. And it’s a cedar mill.

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpg.2f302078cf891a17cef90771883bd605.jpg

14 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I thought that they only went to 3.2Ghz. What happened to the 3.2Ghz "Extreme Edition"?

There are many p4 series. The originals didn’t clock that high. This is the 6x1 series. 5x0 was intels first 64 bit, 6x0 was first hyperthreaded, 6x1 was the same as 6x0 but 65nm instead of 90 iirc

On 12/19/2013 at 4:26 PM, Lanoi said:

E4500? yum. Currently have DDR2 in my system, so I can't show it off. Don't have anything old because I'm 12.

EDIT -- 23-7-14 I do not run my system with DDR2 anymore. I still have a Core 2 Quad Q9500, a E7500, and a E5300.

I had a q9550 and it work great until my graphic card died in 2015. I gave the computer to my nephew. And it still works.

1 hour ago, Schnoz said:

Core 2 Duos are surprisingly great for office work, especially those quad-core models consisting of two Penryn-6M dies. Give it a cheapo 120 GB SSD, and it'll feel three times as fast.

That's a Quad, even better! q9550 is a pretty good chip given its age... good for office work (and render farms I guess)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0badc6526f3037fd1eea5ba50f1f4040.png

(regretfully, this is mine)

6 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

I have a Prescott P4 that runs at 3.4 GHz.

Socket 478 but still.

Did you ever get that stuff working right?

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Did you ever get that stuff working right?

No, school's been eating my time (and other hobbies have been eating my money) so I haven't been able to recap yet.

Hopefully that's the only problem 😅

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

No, school's been eating my time (and other hobbies have been eating my money) so I haven't been able to recap yet.

Hopefully that's the only problem 😅

I sure hope so! If you need any help or advice don't hesitate to hit me up, it's not terribly complicated but it really helps having a helper so I'd advise you to enlist your dad to assist with a second pair of hands to hold the board and pull on the cap while you desolder the legs and hold the new one when you solder it back in. I did that one board solo and it was kind of a pain. I needed a much stronger soldering gun than I expected to need since the power and ground planes acted as strong heat sinks. A little 30W iron might not do it, I was alternating between the 100 and 150W trigger on the big solder gun I have. Big solder guns do have their uses even for electronics it turns out! Or I'm just horribly impatient...

If you do find you need a higher power soldering gun I'd advise you pass on new Weller stuff and go right to eBay and get an older 8200 or D440 soldering gun, they're actually good and can be used unlike the newer ones which are only good for breaking.

I'm not much of a MAC person, but when someone is giving them away, I can't say no.  A friend of mine gave me the Craigslsit listing, as it somehow evaded my email notifications.  I drove 40 minutes in 1 direction to get everything, and I will admit, I might have exceeded the highway speed limit slightly.  But even the custom power brick (on top of the silver machine) was worth the trip by itself.

I haven't looked inside yet, I plan to do that tomorrow.  But the silver G5 is the LAST dual G5 machine made @ 2.7ghz.  and the previous owner had an aftermarket sound/usb/firewire cards installed.  The 500mhz G4 looks mostly untouched, but again has additional usb/firewire.  The 24" LCD is a prize, I sure hope that works, but I've already made out like a bandit.

20220208_191155.jpg

20220208_192032.jpg

20220208_192059.jpg