Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

Cool... would just add either some ken burns or even better some slider moves on the static shots.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

10 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Cool... would just add either some ken burns or even better some slider moves on the static shots.

I tried that at first, but it just made it more obvious that I had only rendered one frame for that shot since the motion looked rather unnatural compared to the slightly moving things in other shots that used multiple frames. Still learning how to do a moving camera in Cinema 4D, it's incredibly complicated so I might redo it at some point in the future when I have 4 hours to just sit down and watch some tutorials. 

4 minutes ago, System51 said:

What's your kitchen setup? 
Mine is a P4 with 512mb of RAM a GeForce2 and W2k. 
TBF I just found that PC in my closet and had W2k around would have gone with 98SE or so. 

Kitchen_Setup.jpg

@FakeKGB

Isn't that the same case as the P4 system I gave you?

5 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Yep, that's it. Doubt it has the same bursty caps though.

It's probably the same motherboard inside and so it might, those were leaked/leaking but it still booted I just didn't trust it to be reliable for you for checking stuff with so I recapped it to make sure I wasn't giving you junk. 🙂

38 minutes ago, System51 said:

Probs. If I had a clue how to fix em I would but my only tool is a screwdriver

Getting into soldering isn't too difficult, there are those little radio kits etc you can buy. That's how I started. If the board is just single layer through hole replacing caps isn't too difficult at all. Solder wick often isn't the most effective on those though; you may need a desoldering gun. 

Or just snap the old cap off and solder the new to the back of the board like I did once. 

Yeah I'm pretty noob at this stuff and I was able to do it pretty easily by myself, would have been A LOT easier with a helper. Caps were fairly cheap from Amazon, I already had the soldering stuff tho so a bit of a cheat.

Thinkpad S30

Specifically one of the more rare ones with the blued metal lid.

6A356974-0642-4DEC-AC33-09DF84B6954D.thumb.jpeg.aaa8154bfb638bc2a1a53aed44b647ea.jpeg

B576EF5B-04F7-4700-ABB1-C7A586B09701.thumb.jpeg.df95a2fe027a33676df8f440a1470e8b.jpeg

494F386B-A639-4480-93AE-5AC98BF62C9A.thumb.jpeg.e3834054343da424ea5cbd5c9f983d29.jpeg

it is such a beautifully tiny machine

sometime over the weekend when I have some free time to have fun with it I’ll post to the forums from this 21 year old thinkpad 

and yes, the battery does have a little lever which flips down to put the machine at an angle 

5 hours ago, 8tg said:

Thinkpad S30

Specifically one of the more rare ones with the blued metal lid.

Dang that looks like it's in great shape! What are your plans for it? I imagine Windows 98 drivers would be available for it, so should make a good Win98, 2000 or XP machine. The 40 series I know you can still get brand new batteries off Amazon too for pretty cheap, I wonder if that's true for the 30 series as well...

1 hour ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Dang that looks like it's in great shape! What are your plans for it? I imagine Windows 98 drivers would be available for it, so should make a good Win98, 2000 or XP machine. The 40 series I know you can still get brand new batteries off Amazon too for pretty cheap, I wonder if that's true for the 30 series as well...

7C07A220-5198-46B3-8F86-4EBF5D5DD33C.gif.90381cb2bf58cfc7f0a688ca12b210fc.gif

Gonna load it up with the very general assortment of XP stuff, Microsoft office, some music, a few movies over VLC, a few games it can handle, Firefox 52 ESR, etc 

This one has wifi and an 32gb ssd, maxed out at 256mb of ram, supposedly that battery still gets about 2 hours of battery life according to the previous owner.

So I shocked myself doing some cleaning when I found two boxes I don’t even recall having. First was the box for my 2010 i7-970 with the stock (never used) tower cooler. Second is the box for my first solid state drive that I got with the i7, this still has the hardware and bracket to put into a 3.5” bay. Finally is a thermal take 3.5” HDD fan that’s never been opened. Just figured I’d share before this stuff goes to an electrics/ metal recycling center. 

Both intel pieces are still running strong in my soon to be server/nas.

A6ABB939-1069-4D90-B11C-A98C62680F62.jpeg

EA6E6CBA-F5AE-4960-9508-C2CE345FFEB7.jpeg

0FF56EC4-4485-4946-8A56-7FB40FE26EA2.jpeg

Theyre good collector items considering theyre over a decade old and look prestine, maybe you could sell em to a collector and make some money

when someone says stoneage I expected 1970s pc parts not 2010s

Inb4 obligatory "I'm still using parts as old/older than this" post.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Disassembled a CF form factor microdrive. Its whole platter assembly is smaller than the spindle clamp on a 3.5" Barracuda.

image.png.53185d2056e4b5c1ec6873ac9764d3ad.png

It only has a head on one side of the platter. I wonder if this was totally needed because the tiny head would get too heavy double sided, or if there was a model with 2x the capacity of this one that used both sides.

image.thumb.png.6983c43a589035a14937ef65f6190345.png

I see what broke on it, part of the wiring on the head was torn up. I used a pair of tweezers to remove the rest so it would look a bit nicer for decoration. I also removed part of the parking mechanism that was in this part of the drive (by about where the head is now) since it was loose and was probably what broke it in the first place.

image.png.139597b6f846ddaa1c45d3781e3e1c97.png

Its controller board. There's an Atmel chip, probably the controller, the cache and something else are under the black epoxy stuff so I can't read markings.

image.png.b5d22b66fd6045f5ca74e3519e89792b.png

Here is the top of the drive, with the head magnet, noise dampening/shock protection material, and part of the parking mechanism. 

On 2/23/2022 at 1:21 PM, 8tg said:

Gonna load it up with the very general assortment of XP stuff, Microsoft office, some music, a few movies over VLC, a few games it can handle, Firefox 52 ESR, etc 

This one has wifi and an 32gb ssd, maxed out at 256mb of ram, supposedly that battery still gets about 2 hours of battery life according to the previous owner.

Should be a great machine for that, though I think you'll want to upgrade the ram. XP I've found really likes 512mb or more. The ssd will be nice though, and 32gb should be adequate for what you can run on that machine. That's pretty cool that the battery is still decent too! That's rare with the older machines. I had to buy new batteries for my 40 series machines, surprisingly amazon has them new still, and cheap, I paid about $30cad each for mine. GOG is a good source for games, and their installers work on XP. Some even run on Windows 2000 but that's a bit hit and miss I've found. Maybe the unofficial sp5 for win2k would rectify that... hmm...🤔

5 hours ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Should be a great machine for that, though I think you'll want to upgrade the ram

256mb is all it takes sadly

On 2/25/2022 at 11:59 PM, 8tg said:

256mb is all it takes sadly

According to IBM's website documentation it should support up to 1gb, it takes pc133 sdram sodimms. I know for sure there are 512mb modules available.

https://www.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=an&subtype=ca&htmlfid=897/ENUS101-353&language=enus&appname=skmwww&mhq=db2 olap function reference&mhsrc=ibmsearch_a

Perhaps Windows 2000 would be a better option to run on it with only 256mb? Installing the unofficial service pack 5 and the extended kernal should provide most of the functionality of XP, and knowing IBM drivers shouldnt be an issue. Or if your set on XP perhaps run the rtm release or sp1/2 and avoid sp3?

Edit: I realized I did the search for an A30 not an S30. The S30 does indeed have a maximum of 256mb, which looks like it's a chipset limitation.

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Ooh, might get one and try!

Reminds me of the Linux drivers being made, what was that, like last year? for the ATI Radeons. (7000 series?)