Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

8 hours ago, luckybob77 said:

Show us the carnage at least.

No visible die damage. And the board has no visible damage either. Only carnage there is my crap soldering where I had to solder replacement caps to the back of the board (those weren’t the caps near the cpu so it’s not MY fault for once)

Just now, Schnoz said:

I actually have a few sets of those black-and-grey Dell speakers, some of which I've been donating to underserved students when the monitors I donate with desktops don't have included speakers. They sound surprisingly nice.

Good to know! I may drill a headphone jack into them and solder it myself since that's the only feature they're missing. I'll probably donate the other sets to Goodwill

At work in the shop we use some Altec Lansing that came with the Pentium 2 Gateway my mom bought around 1998/1999 I think. Still work great!

Anyone remember these? I found my old netbook.It was an okay machine back in the day but nowadays it is struggling a bit. It has a special place in my heart. This was my second computer.(My first computer was a Pentium machine but I don't remember the specs) 

20220210_214810.thumb.jpg.e01cc2107fd806d78aa71fbd74620ce8.jpg

And yes I was listening bunch of Nightcore songs back in the day😅.

27 minutes ago, Rex Hite said:

This Realistic SA-150 amp and Minimus-7 speakers has been the sound system on every one of my workstations since the Commodore 64.

IMG_1093.JPG.5a05acc08847b12400e570e1cf4a14c2.JPG

I need an amp like that, but I don't 100% care if it's retro just that it works reliably, sounds decent, has some basic balance, bass/treble, etc. Looking for something 50-70W RMS per channel tho to really drive some bookshelf speakers on my desk. Suggestions that aren't audiophile price class?

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

I need an amp like that, but I don't 100% care if it's retro just that it works reliably, sounds decent, has some basic balance, bass/treble, etc. Looking for something 50-70W RMS per channel tho to really drive some bookshelf speakers on my desk. Suggestions that aren't audiophile price class?

I use an Audiobox USB 96 as an external DAC/AMP.  Plus you get the added benefit of XLR Mic inputs with phantom power.  I'm just waiting for a couple of 1/4" patch cables so i can hook it up to my new (to me) Studio Monitors.  I picked up a second audio box (for another rig) plus the monitors for 80 quid

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

Here's a cheap and simple amp.

61q5jSBh2nL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

1 hour ago, Rex Hite said:

61q5jSBh2nL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I've looked at those but when you dig past the flashy numbers their RMS output is usually pretty bad and they need a weird AC adapter.

How old are we considering old enough for this thread?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 hours ago, Rex Hite said:

-snip

I was looking at those to power a butt-kicker for my VR Sim rig but gave up and have got a car amp i'll run off the same Server PSU that'll run the motors

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Just now, SimplyChunk said:

I was looking at those to power a butt-kicker for my VR Sim rig but gave up and have got a car amp i'll run off the same Server PSU that'll run the motors

Found a 300w or perhaps 3000w (probably 300 lol but there was a scratch where the last 0 would be) amp someone threw out a few days ago. Doesn't work but it's probably something simple like a cap that I could replace, it is a somewhat nice unit, quite industrial looking. No idea what I'll use it for though, all drivers I have can run off like 3w

59 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Found a 300w or perhaps 3000w (probably 300 lol but there was a scratch where the last 0 would be) amp someone threw out a few days ago. Doesn't work but it's probably something simple like a cap that I could replace, it is a somewhat nice unit, quite industrial looking. No idea what I'll use it for though, all drivers I have can run off like 3wJJUST JES THE MOBILE EDIT EHAT? HOEam I typunh up here I can't type down there?

OOOOE

48 minutes ago, Bitter said:

3wJJUST JES THE MOBILE EDIT EHAT? HOEam I typunh up here I can't type down there?

you... you ok there mate?

✨FNIGE✨

Mobile site was glitching HARD. It would let me quote and start a reply then after a few letters it would just jump into the end of the quote and then start typing up there, if I touched the cursor back down to where I should be typing it would just jump right back up as soon as I typed anything, pressing backspace would jump backwards a few letters then highlight then delete what it highlighted after a couple backspaces. I've had issues with @'s in mobile posts but holy heck never like this with a quote in a reply! I felt like I was having a stroke.

$2 at a yard sale. Couldn't resist

image.png.f1878240ddfe34c5ffc288e49d644625.png

What is this, Apple 2? Really long C64? I'd go with Apple 2. 

This may be from the same PC World that we know of today, the magazine, or perhaps a defunct 80s shop to which this was merchandise. 

Inside it has simple watch circuitry so I could backlight it, that'd be cool. Just a fun little thing

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

$2 at a yard sale. Couldn't resist

thats incredible

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

2 minutes ago, ronwis0122 said:

Can I build a good gaming computer from the older computer parts? Actually, I don't have much money and really want to create a new computer. 

I mean... you can still build a good PC with a Core 2 Quad q9550 for like $60 that can handle a few games

2 hours ago, ronwis0122 said:

Can I build a good gaming computer from the older computer parts? Actually, I don't have much money and really want to create a new computer. 

q9550 + GTX 460/ GTX 550ti = Subnautica is playable, CS:GO, Fortnite, etc. All of the lower end games. Nothing recent, but Roblox and Fortnite should work, and you seem like you would like those games.

52 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

q9550 + GTX 460/ GTX 550ti = Subnautica is playable, CS:GO, Fortnite, etc. All of the lower end games. Nothing recent, but Roblox and Fortnite should work, and you seem like you would like those games.

just so happens I've tested literally exactly those games on a Q9550 and HD 5870. Fact the card is a prototype doesn't affect results too much

Spoiler

Spoiler

50 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

just so happens I've tested literally exactly those games on a Q9550 and HD 5870. Fact the card is a prototype doesn't affect results too much

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

I played subnautica on a GTX 460. You could go to highest settings so long as you weren't anywhere near the big ship that wrecks at the beginning of the game. The 1GB of VRAM is not great, but anything with 2 GB is many times more expensive due to scalping, and demand for cheap cards to carry people over to when the prices go down some more.

2 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I played subnautica on a GTX 460. You could go to highest settings so long as you weren't anywhere near the big ship that wrecks at the beginning of the game. The 1GB of VRAM is not great, but anything with 2 GB is many times more expensive due to scalping, and demand for cheap cards to carry people over to when the prices go down some more.

Ran fine on the Quadro k620, basically a GTX 650 2gb but $35 and low profile (my go to card for recommending for budget gaming)