Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

That doesn't sound right. I ran a 1600x1200 desktop with background on a P4 HT @ 4.0ghz with 3GB DDR400 and a 6800Ultra, no problem.

WinXP 32bit tho, I don't think I ran anything else on that system.

I don't mean the GeForce 6800, I mean the Ati Mach64 laptop GPU previously discussed. My 6800 handles big wallpapers fine. 

3 hours ago, Frugivore8894 said:

My new computer science teacher let us help organise her office because the last teacher left it a mess. Anyway  found this in the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet. I forgot to rake a picture of the specs but its 520 wat. If this is not early 2000s pc parts then I don't know what is.

Hide contents

IMG_2797.thumb.JPG.637f275e4f9c8edc0507eba5c8c883af.JPGIMG_2800.thumb.JPG.ac414800b5c5fde3e67c84480ba04825.JPGIMG_2801.thumb.JPG.a8a30e2e9d085ed164768a4edd9d0ed7.JPG

That's called a fire hazard.

40 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Otherwise known as instant eBay sales.

That's too jank for even eBay these days, that came off AliExpress.

On 12/9/2021 at 7:48 PM, Mel0nMan said:

Bought a near mint copy of UT 2004 after loving the demo. 

image.png.8564fb30bf115cc7496068f2a65b45ac.png

I miss when installers looked like this

image.png.0840ad818a3cd6c87aa05972d4e2f4bf.png

It came with the manuals, it's the special edition so it has the bonus dvd. Previous owner was kind enough to leave 2 Atari stickers as well as the 17.5 year out of date warranty card. CD key worked fine, manual is immaculate. Except for one adrenaline combo circled. Guess he used that a lot? It's in pencil though so I erased it

image.png.db0827f4889a7e68dedd8112b1223909.png

I don't want to wear down the original disk by using it every time I want to play, frequently, so fun trick you can rip it to an ISO and mount it to your DVD drive's location whenever you open the game and it'll work. Or you could burn it to another disk. (Not condoning piracy, just a helpful tip)

Man I wish I had a dvd version….

such a pain to install the game from like 8 cds whenever I want to play it

i have to back that up and do some scripting that’ll make it into one iso that I can mount and will auto mount all of them.

you don’t even need to mount it to your drives location, if it’s being run on windows 10 just double click the play iso and then you are fine, it’s mount letter shouldn’t need to be the same as the install letter 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Not much but a Pentium 4 with an unknown motherboard and a GeForce2 MX 400,I remember that we upgraded the ram from 128mb to 512 as that was the latest and fastest ram back in the day (at least where I live). Works completely  fine btw, runs windows XP and i occasionally  play Virtua Cop on it 

IMG_20211218_123518_645.jpg

IMG_20211218_123411_849.jpg

IMG_20211218_123223_578.jpg

IMG_20211218_123642_048.jpg

IMG_20211218_124757_760.jpg

IMG_20211218_124852_100.jpg

The jank of the writing on that GPU cooler and how it's not straight at all is delightful

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

It's not exactly computer parts...

Spoiler

970024878_studioa.thumb.jpg.3523617c06a3b337a7646b5450bd55d1.jpg493172157_studiob.thumb.jpg.a28e2fe0d042eaa25c6ba999f506f9fa.jpg462575256_studioc.thumb.jpg.116e0541fdd070614e08e8c5c8b6c00a.jpg

But still cool!

I think it might support PPC too - I can't remember if 10.5.7 supported PPC not or if that was Intel-only.

elephants

3 hours ago, michaljonny33 said:

My old computer collection consists of one Apple II, a Kaypro II and a Model M mechanical keyboard. I got the Apple II as an early high school graduation gift. Its processor is a 6502, and it supports 64k RAM. It has no hard drive, but it will run apps off of 5 inch floppy disk. The Kaypro II is my first personal computer, I bought it when I was a freshman in college. It has a Z80 processor, 64k RAM and dual floppy drives. The keyboard was given to me by my father when I was a kid. It is a IBM Model M keyboard. Model M is the legendary clicky keyboard that is still being made today for ergonomic and typing purist purposes. I still use it today and it is in excellent condition.

Dang that's a pretty sweet grad gift! Both are very neat machines. The model m is a fantastic keyboard as well, I just got one fairly recently and I can definitely see why they are so loved. For sound and feel I mean a cherry blue comes close but it's still just not the same.

27 minutes ago, Bonznumber1 said:

I am going to edit this momentarily from my phone to add photos.  Found these at work the other day....

(6 edits later lol)

Hide contents

E7AB279F-E60E-47B9-9122-40D933AD3B55.jpegEB840768-A3AF-4DF9-8C60-930433FF70F3.jpeg2A2D4513-A99D-473C-AA7D-86F0ED10B134.jpeg9BAC98AF-22B6-4832-8B92-79D7CD1FFEB3.jpeg

Where do you work and are you hiring

I need to know

11 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Where do you work and are you hiring

I need to know

Merchant law Group in Regina SK.  and you wouldn't like the pay 😄 but i did spend an afternoon playing with one we have a full set of software.

Apparently they use to use them to do the books and would just ship them from office to office so they only had to buy 2!

@Bonznumber1Man, I wish I had an Osborne or two.  Shame shipping those big beautiful bastards from SK to Colorado would be a bitch and a half.

Do they have any plans?  I'd be interested in both if the price was right.

@michaljonny33

NICE!!!  The Apple 2 series was the last good computer to come out of that company.  Everything else after the 2 series has been more marketing wank than actual computer.  I do NOT care if anyone have a different opinion, I will not debate it.  I have a couple Kaypro systems too, CP/M is pretty easy if you know DOS, thankfully.  I still use my Model M daily on my main machine.  

Ars Technica: LG’s 16:18 ultra-tall monitor means less scrolling. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/12/lgs-1618-ultra-tall-monitor-means-less-scrolling/

Are we just circling back around to 4:3??

25 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Ars Technica: LG’s 16:18 ultra-tall monitor means less scrolling. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/12/lgs-1618-ultra-tall-monitor-means-less-scrolling/

Are we just circling back around to 4:3??

The ratio is similar. And I don't get the point, it seems to be literally two 16:9 monitors on top of each other in the ads. You could just yknow buy 2 monitors instead of paying more for having them on the same panel... or even better put them side by side which is easier...

13 hours ago, luckybob77 said:

@Bonznumber1Man, I wish I had an Osborne or two.  Shame shipping those big beautiful bastards from SK to Colorado would be a bitch and a half.

Do they have any plans?  I'd be interested in both if the price was right.

@michaljonny33

NICE!!!  The Apple 2 series was the last good computer to come out of that company.  Everything else after the 2 series has been more marketing wank than actual computer.  I do NOT care if anyone have a different opinion, I will not debate it.  I have a couple Kaypro systems too, CP/M is pretty easy if you know DOS, thankfully.  I still use my Model M daily on my main machine.  

I asked around and found the actual owner and apparently they still exist because he was hoping to sell them one day.  I told him to come up with a price he'd want.  I have no Idea what one would be worth.  They are all over the place on auction sites lol

On 12/21/2021 at 7:50 AM, michaljonny33 said:

My old computer collection consists of one Apple II, a Kaypro II and a Model M mechanical keyboard. I got the Apple II as an early high school graduation gift. Its processor is a 6502, and it supports 64k RAM. It has no hard drive, but it will run apps off of 5 inch floppy disk. The Kaypro II is my first personal computer, I bought it when I was a freshman in college. It has a Z80 processor, 64k RAM and dual floppy drives. The keyboard was given to me by my father when I was a kid. It is a IBM Model M keyboard. Model M is the legendary clicky keyboard that is still being made today for ergonomic and typing purist purposes. I still use it today and it is in excellent condition.

Very nice!  I used to use a Kaypro II when I was doing accounts receivable when I was in high school (I know, weird first job).  Old computers is sort of my hobby.  I have a Apple ][e Platinum with a CFFA 3000, so I can store disk images on USB and then boot from there.  My oldest, working, computer is an Amiga 1000.  The model M keyboard is such a fantastic keyboard, unless the people around you like silence. LOL  I actually have some, somewhere, from when a company was going to recycle a bunch of IBM RS6000 workstations from the early 90's. 

10 hours ago, Bonznumber1 said:

I asked around and found the actual owner and apparently they still exist because he was hoping to sell them one day.  I told him to come up with a price he'd want.  I have no Idea what one would be worth.  They are all over the place on auction sites lol

Best thing to do, is check ePay.  My search looks like this:  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=osborne+executive&_sacat=11189&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1  This shows you what things have SOLD for.  You can literally put anything on ebay for any amount and it costs nothing.  But when you do a search for SOLD listings, its much better indication.  There are 3 that have sold, so its not a very common item.  2@ ~$200 and 1@$350.  beware!  all three listings had "FREE" shipping.  Those "portable" units are BIG.  They require professional packing to arrive in one piece.  It is highly likely the seller had to pay AT LEAST $100 to ship each unit properly PLUS the box, packing, etc.

local sale will be your best bet.  As much as I'd LOVE to be an owner of a pair of those beasts.  They would sit nicely next to my Compaq Portable, and my two IBM portables.

And before anyone tries to tell you its #$!@%RARE@$$$OMFGWTFBBQRIBS and only 10,000 were made.  The demand is practically non existent.  Fossilized dinosaur turds are OMG-RARE, but that doesn't make them VALUABLE.  These things are BIG, heavy and have little nostalgia value. Most people who want one, usually already have one.  

That's a very long winded way for me to say, I feel the ebay prices I saw, seemed fair.  Canada might be a bit different, but I doubt it will be by much.  All that said, I'd love to have them, I have plenty of space, and I don't mind heavy lifting.  Also, I want to take one into school next semester and plug one into the serial port of a $100,000 Cisco router, just for the LULZ.