Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

7 hours ago, Bob__ said:

Alr thanks

CPU folding is generally significantly less than GPU folding for similar tiers of CPU/GPU card.

I run an AMD 5700G as CPU only folding for the majority of my folding time (the integrated GPU is so ancient in architecture that it is less efficient than CPU folding).

The kind of project work (which Work Units) you get can also dramatically impact your point totals.

With that said, I average about 300k PPD (points per day), but sometimes it is down around 200k, and occasionally will spike up to 500k or so on rare occasions with test work units that occasionally come out.  The Lars DB says I should hit 450kPPD, but I believe it calculates that based on the top "per core with hyperthreading enabled" core count x the average ppd/core that has been reported.  Even OC'd I can't reach that 450k PPD count, but I also skew that number higher, since I specifically run only the thread count that keeps things 1 per physical core, to get a higher "per core" count (in fact, I usually see either no change, or a slight decrease, when I double the thread count to make use of all of the CPU's threads).

OC's generally don't help a lot for folding.

As for the high point totals you're seeing for individuals here, many of your top folks around here run multiple rigs with multiple high end graphics cards.  To help put points in perspective though, a single 4090 GPU can output averages in the realm of 24 million PPD with the right work units.

Here's the relevant page for you for comparisons, though there aren't a ton of entries for it yet:

https://folding.lar.systems/cpu_ppd/brands/intel/folding_profile/13th_gen_intelr_coretm_i5-13600k

I would, however, note that the i9 on average is showing the same PPD as the i5, so it is probably highly important how much you're getting on the performance cores (and thus how much else you're NOT doing most of the time).  If my assumption above about how the DB is doing the calculation is correct, it may also be why the i5/i9 are seen as the same, since the higher efficiency core count on the i9 drops the "average" PPD/core that it calculates based on.  Linux is also far more efficient in general for folding, so again, don't say "I should get this number" and expect it to be exact, as there are a LOT of factors.

So, I'd say your 500k is pretty reasonable for an average Windows install of CPU folding based on what I see in the DB, despite the DB saying you may see 942k PPD.

34 minutes ago, justpoet said:

CPU folding is generally significantly less than GPU folding for similar tiers of CPU/GPU card.

I run an AMD 5700G as CPU only folding for the majority of my folding time (the integrated GPU is so ancient in architecture that it is less efficient than CPU folding).

The kind of project work (which Work Units) you get can also dramatically impact your point totals.

With that said, I average about 300k PPD (points per day), but sometimes it is down around 200k, and occasionally will spike up to 500k or so on rare occasions with test work units that occasionally come out.  The Lars DB says I should hit 450kPPD, but I believe it calculates that based on the top "per core with hyperthreading enabled" core count x the average ppd/core that has been reported.  Even OC'd I can't reach that 450k PPD count, but I also skew that number higher, since I specifically run only the thread count that keeps things 1 per physical core, to get a higher "per core" count (in fact, I usually see either no change, or a slight decrease, when I double the thread count to make use of all of the CPU's threads).

OC's generally don't help a lot for folding.

As for the high point totals you're seeing for individuals here, many of your top folks around here run multiple rigs with multiple high end graphics cards.  To help put points in perspective though, a single 4090 GPU can output averages in the realm of 24 million PPD with the right work units.

Here's the relevant page for you for comparisons, though there aren't a ton of entries for it yet:

https://folding.lar.systems/cpu_ppd/brands/intel/folding_profile/13th_gen_intelr_coretm_i5-13600k

I would, however, note that the i9 on average is showing the same PPD as the i5, so it is probably highly important how much you're getting on the performance cores (and thus how much else you're NOT doing most of the time).  If my assumption above about how the DB is doing the calculation is correct, it may also be why the i5/i9 are seen as the same, since the higher efficiency core count on the i9 drops the "average" PPD/core that it calculates based on.  Linux is also far more efficient in general for folding, so again, don't say "I should get this number" and expect it to be exact, as there are a LOT of factors.

So, I'd say your 500k is pretty reasonable for an average Windows install of CPU folding based on what I see in the DB, despite the DB saying you may see 942k PPD.

It shows that I should get 200-100K (because I am mining on the side) and I'm really getting like 55K https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/name/Bob__

Also this even though it was running the whole time the downtime in the middle is kind of concerning to me because when I finally got home from school I found it doing like 500 PPD not 500K, 500 and saying it was going to take 14 days to complete a work unit I restarted it but is this normal?

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

2 hours ago, Bob__ said:

It shows that I should get 200-100K (because I am mining on the side) and I'm really getting like 55K https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/name/Bob__

Also this even though it was running the whole time the downtime in the middle is kind of concerning to me because when I finally got home from school I found it doing like 500 PPD not 500K, 500 and saying it was going to take 14 days to complete a work unit I restarted it but is this normal?

You don't have the QRB Bonus, that's why your PPD is lower. 

https://apps.foldingathome.org/bonus

You have 6 completed WU and 3 failed. Do you know if they failed because of expired time?

What are the qualifications for the QRB?

The bonus is applied for users who use a passkey, have successfully returned at least 10 bonus-eligible WUs, have successfully returned 80% or more of assigned WUs, and returned the unit before its Timeout (formerly Preferred Deadline). Bonus points do not apply to partial returns.

Not much of a Gamer….. But I have thing about F@H that may be a little over the top.   See my builds here

Just now, Mxyzptlk said:

You have 6 completed WU and 3 failed. Do you know if they failed because of expired time?

probably not that takes like 2 weeks right

5 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

probably not that takes like 2 weeks right

I just started like a day ago

Also on a completely unrelated topic do you know if ASIC's for crypto work for folding@home

2 hours ago, Bob__ said:

Also on a completely unrelated topic do you know if ASIC's for crypto work for folding@home

I sincerely doubt, protein simulation is quite a different beast from hash calculations. ASICs are meant for one and only one purpose, it's why they're called ASICs (Application Specific Integrated Circuit.) 

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

5 hours ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

I sincerely doubt, protein simulation is quite a different beast from hash calculations. ASICs are meant for one and only one purpose, it's why they're called ASICs (Application Specific Integrated Circuit.) 

Alr thanks

Shit it did it again where it goes down to like 1450 at night can someone please explain wtf is happening

8 hours ago, Mxyzptlk said:

You have 6 completed WU and 3 failed.

how can you see this?

2 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

how can you see this?

If you are Overclocked, I would suggest turning it down, if you are failing WUs there's a good chance that is why 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

If you are Overclocked, I would suggest turning it down, if you are failing WUs there's a good chance that is why 

I know my OC is stable and I have tested it for days on end looking for errors

How can you see how many have failed

31 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

Running F@h on anything that is overclocked is not always guaranteed to go well, even if it's stable for other tasks. I've run into this myself with GPUs. Overclocks that hold up perfectly fine for everything else still occasionally cause F@h to fail. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

17 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Running F@h on anything that is overclocked is not always guaranteed to go well, even if it's stable for other tasks. I've run into this myself with GPUs. Overclocks that hold up perfectly fine for everything else still occasionally cause F@h to fail. 

what would a reasonable OC for F@H, I can make a new OC profile but how much should it be OC'ed. Like + 300 MHZ or what. I can send you my current OC whenever I get home (Im at school)

Try it, but usually it's best to not have any. More efficient too. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Try it, but usually it's best to not have any. More efficient too. 

ill change it when I get home. And how can I tell if it is failing. How did that other person find how many failed. Also is there a way to remotely see the F@H client

15 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

what would a reasonable OC for F@H, I can make a new OC profile but how much should it be OC'ed. Like + 300 MHZ or what. I can send you my current OC whenever I get home (Im at school)

You're talking about CPU OC, correct? I personally wouldn't bother with a CPU OC for folding on a CPU. 

I do occasionally run slight overclocks on my GPUs for folding, but I try to stay on the mild side. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

52 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

You're talking about CPU OC, correct? I personally wouldn't bother with a CPU OC for folding on a CPU. 

I do occasionally run slight overclocks on my GPUs for folding, but I try to stay on the mild side. 

what about the rest of the question?

36 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

what about the rest of the question?

I'm not sure what you're referring to. This is the question I responded to:

1 hour ago, Bob__ said:

what would a reasonable OC for F@H, I can make a new OC profile but how much should it be OC'ed. Like + 300 MHZ or what.

7 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

I'm not sure what you're referring to. This is the question I responded to:

this part: And how can I tell if it is failing. How did that other person find how many failed. Also is there a way to remotely see the F@H client

On 4/27/2023 at 12:30 PM, Bob__ said:

I understand that but like how many should I be getting I have a i5-13600K that's heavily OC'ed

5 hours ago, Bob__ said:

how can you see this?

5 hours ago, Bob__ said:

How can you see how many have failed

5 hours ago, Bob__ said:

4 hours ago, Bob__ said:

ill change it when I get home. And how can I tell if it is failing. How did that other person find how many failed. Also is there a way to remotely see the F@H client

3 hours ago, Bob__ said:

this part: And how can I tell if it is failing. How did that other person find how many failed. Also is there a way to remotely see the F@H client

You can tell how many Work Units (WUs) are failing by looking in the logs for errors. Open the Advanced Control from the TaskBar and look in the "Log" tab.

In general an overclock be it on a CPU or GPU that works for gaming or Mining will inevitably fail on Folding at some point so most of us who Fold either just run a very small overclock or none at all.

Any benefit of an overclock quickly gets negated when you have a WU fail after 4 or five hours.

For remote access to the folding systems see the Remote Access link in my Signature. If you are talking about remote access from out on the Internet to a Folding system at home then that is usually a bad idea without using a VPN.

If you want to get better data on your performance then consider installing Harlams Folding Monitor aka Hfm.net which will give you lots of data to look at.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

31 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

You can tell how many Work Units (WUs) are failing by looking in the logs for errors. Open the Advanced Control from the TaskBar and look in the "Log" tab.

In general an overclock be it on a CPU or GPU that works for gaming or Mining will inevitably fail on Folding at some point so most of us who Fold either just run a very small overclock or none at all.

Any benefit of an overclock quickly gets negated when you have a WU fail after 4 or five hours.

For remote access to the folding systems see the Remote Access link in my Signature. If you are talking about remote access from out on the Internet to a Folding system at home then that is usually a bad idea without using a VPN.

If you want to get better data on your performance then consider installing Harlams Folding Monitor aka Hfm.net which will give you lots of data to look at.

alr thanks this is what I was looking for

OK I have accepted this is hard af so before I was able to get the FahCore_a8.exe to 100% usage but now when I run it it is just around high 30'. I attempted to increase it by increasing the priority but still nothing happened sorry for the questions but I just want this thing to work

1 hour ago, Bob__ said:

OK I have accepted this is hard af so before I was able to get the FahCore_a8.exe to 100% usage but now when I run it it is just around high 30'. I attempted to increase it by increasing the priority but still nothing happened sorry for the questions but I just want this thing to work

The best advice I can give is to not overthink it, as just being a part is good.  For CPU folding, just start up the client, put in your team and code, optionally set a type of research you want to prioritize (I go for Cancer), and let it run as it set itself up to do.  If you see a bunch of failures, remove the OC and see if that fixes it.  If not, try the same thing with RAM.  Sometimes it'll run higher % than others, depending on what kind of setup or protein folding it is doing at that moment.

13 hours ago, Bob__ said:

The best OC for F@H is no OC.

You can see at the link that I provided before which is this one: https://apps.foldingathome.org/bonus

Just put your use name in and it will tell you. 

WUs Finished   WUs Expired      % Finished      Bonus Active
9    5     64.29% False

You completed 3 more and failed 2 more. That is not a good sign and bad for F@H. 

Not much of a Gamer….. But I have thing about F@H that may be a little over the top.   See my builds here