Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

3 hours ago, RollinLower said:

that's super weird, especially since the LAR page shouldn't be any different on the system than the normal web UI.

I know. I haven't been able to reproduce it since either. No changes otherwise between initial problem and no problem, however I did change some voltage and boost settings since it wasn't all the way stable...but that was later.

Thought it was weird that FAH got so broken I had to delete the data too, never had that before. Been running folding work for a day without problem, still dialing in some rough settings to cut down on time and crashes with my main desktop it's going into.

Been having my own issues lately too. Went on Vacation mid February and came back to one of my rigs with a Gigabyte Aurous Master X570 was crashing and giving me odd window error screens that led me on a wild goose chase. One of the codes that kept coming up indicated a bad SSD. Tried replacing that but then when I was re-installing windows on the new SSD, it kept crashing... SO it wasn't that.  After a bunch of other odd stuff, I settled on it being the Motherboard (I don't recall why...) So I got a new ASUS X570 and installed that with the existing 5900x and.... same thing 🤦‍♂️. After all that it was the 5900X CPU!  Couldn't justify replacing it with another 5900x so I went with a 5800x and installed it. So far so good. 🤞  

I do have a spare X570 MoBo now! (Fortunately the new one was paid by points from Amazon, but not the CPU!) 

Other than that, my PPD has been down lately with all the storms coming through California. Been shutting machines down for a few days at a time here and there because of power outages and such. I hate WU's getting dumped so I avoid that as mush as possible. 

Not much of a Gamer….. But I have thing about F@H that may be a little over the top.   See my builds here

I was sad when EVGA opted-out of GPU manufacturing.  Took a flyer on a PNY 4090 with decent confidence as they have sold quadro professional grade cards for Nvidia for years.  So far so good.  This 4090 is in my Win11 gaming PC and I'll run F@H on it occasionally.  My Ubuntu 20.04 all-purpose server box runs F@H on a 3080 Ti 24/7.  I want to upgrade it at some point to keep pace but I want to do it in an efficient way.

I read somewhere that PCIe4 x8 == PCIe3 x16 only clips a 4090 by 2 - 8% in games ... which is great and means that I should replace the i9-10850k + z590 with an 11th gen chip only if I really want to.  This means that upgrading the 3080 Ti alone is likely good enough for now.  But, what gpu to go to?  The 4080, strangely, doesn't seem like it's come down in price yet and I can't justify grabbing another 4090.  I feel like I am stuck waiting for a 4090 Ti or a 4080 Ti to be launched to push down pricing.

I don't know who these guys are, but they are suddenly coming for us hard.

Well... actually we know who one of them are Miker07 used to fold on LTT

image.thumb.png.4506bd64b5bf44da577bb2f64f247a80.png

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

They're having a short sprint, probably won't last 😄

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 hours ago, LAR_Systems said:

I see you are working on something new? 🧐 👍

Not much of a Gamer….. But I have thing about F@H that may be a little over the top.   See my builds here

14 hours ago, LAR_Systems said:

me thinks i need to get my offline hardware repaired asap then

18 hours ago, Kilrah said:

They're having a short sprint, probably won't last 😄

We do appreciate some of you coming over to participate. It was fun!

18 hours ago, Mxyzptlk said:

I see you are working on something new? 🧐 👍

Yep, working on some as real time as possible production stats systems so we can see other teams sneaking up on us faster 😉

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

@LAR_Systems I noticed that the timer function on your extension stopped working after my latest update from Chrome. I think it was caused by the new 'Memory Saver' function. I set it to off and I think it is working again.... will be able to confirm in the morning. 

9 hours ago, Mxyzptlk said:

@LAR_Systems I noticed that the timer function on your extension stopped working after my latest update from Chrome. I think it was caused by the new 'Memory Saver' function. I set it to off and I think it is working again.... will be able to confirm in the morning. 

That would make sense, they are more less freezing the window / session when you have the tab hidden.

Not much I'm going to be able to do about that unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

That would make sense, they are more less freezing the window / session when you have the tab hidden.

Booo... thats negative thinking, just write an entire new FAHControl 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Booo... thats negative thinking, just write an entire new FAHControl 

I did, it's in beta and runs in the console on windows and linux... then F@H went and released their new beta version of where the client is going.. .it's not compatible... so it's abandonware.

3 hours ago, LAR_Systems said:

I didn't think that you could. You might put a note next to the timer function that explains this for future users. 🤷‍♂️

I have a folding rig with 5 GPU's all of which 40 series cards, but I think the 3500x is bottlenecking performance a little.

I have to option to upgrade the cpu to a 3700x or a 5500, I believe the 5500 is a little faster per core but it has less of them. I also considered using the 3700x and turning off SMT, this would mean the gpu slots could only use physical cores and not logical cores, so 5 cores for the GPU's and 3 for the OS, with SMT off I might even be able to OC the physical cores a little more or perhaps run them at a lower wattage.

What do you guys think? 

1 hour ago, Shlouski said:

I have a folding rig with 5 GPU's all of which 40 series cards, but I think the 3500x is bottlenecking performance a little.

I have to option to upgrade the cpu to a 3700x or a 5500, I believe the 5500 is a little faster per core but it has less of them. I also considered using the 3700x and turning off SMT, this would mean the gpu slots could only use physical cores and not logical cores, so 5 cores for the GPU's and 3 for the OS, with SMT off I might even be able to OC the physical cores a little more or perhaps run them at a lower wattage.

What do you guys think? 

I honestly doubt you'll see any difference. I ran a 2070a forever on an AMD Athon II x64 at 2.2 GHz in a PCIe2x16 Slot. Moving it to a i9-990K made zero difference. The old rule of thumb used to be 1 thread per GPU running at 2.1GHz or above but newer WUs do seem to need more OS threads to run quickly these days which is strange as all the compute is supposed to be done on the GPU so the CPU would just be needed to shuffle the frames back and forth to the GPU, take care of the Checkpoints and receiving new WUs and sending finished ones.

If you think the 3500x is bottlenecking things then just shutdown a few of the GPUs for a day and look at HfM to compare WUs from the same project to see if there is any measurable difference outside of the usual run-to-run variances

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

@Gorgon

I have just checked now and the cpu is pinned at 100% with each client using around 20%, so FAH pretty much taking all the cpu resources by itself.

Before I added the last 2 cards all the 4080's were regularly hitting 14-15 mill ppd, now I never see them go over 10-11 mil ppd with the identical settings.

3 hours ago, Shlouski said:

What do you guys think? 

Might be a side subject, but how are you powering that?

9 minutes ago, Mxyzptlk said:

Might be a side subject, but how are you powering that?

Corsair HX1500i 1500W 80 Platinum

Each card is only pulling around 150w, the issue is having enough pice 8 pin connectors, I think all but one has only one cable going to it with a splitter (good quality) going off the second 8 pin to give me 3 8 pins to each card. I periodically check the cables and connectors, so far no problems and they are always cold to the touch.

3 minutes ago, Mxyzptlk said:

Are these 4070ti's?

1x 4070 ti

4x 4080

One is off for now to see if there is any significant change in ppd. 

I think the 3700x with smt off would perform better the 5500 as it would need to have smt enabled, otherwise it would only have 6 cores. 

4 hours ago, Shlouski said:

@Gorgon

I have just checked now and the cpu is pinned at 100% with each client using around 20%, so FAH pretty much taking all the cpu resources by itself.

Before I added the last 2 cards all the 4080's were regularly hitting 14-15 mill ppd, now I never see them go over 10-11 mil ppd with the identical settings.

Let me guess. Windows? It _SHOULDNT_ be using that many resources. I'm going to resurrect my 6-GPU rig in a couple of weeks and have 5 2070supers and a 2070A in it so I'll have some hardware to play with. I'll try Wind 10 and Linux for a shoot-out

2 hours ago, Shlouski said:

1x 4070 ti

4x 4080

One is off for now to see if there is any significant change in ppd. 

I think the 3700x with smt off would perform better the 5500 as it would need to have smt enabled, otherwise it would only have 6 cores. 

Monitor your CPU utilization as well. All threads at 100% under Windows will likely tank things.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

Linus just shouted us out on the WAN show! No idea what he said tho

Desktop 1 : Ryzen 5 3600 (O/C to 4Ghz all-core) | Gigabyte B450M-DS3H | 24GB DDR4-2400 Crucial(O/C to 2667) | GALAX RTX 2060 6GB | CoolerMaster MWE 650 Gold

Desktop 2 : i5 10400 | 32GB DDR4-3200(@ 2667Mhz) |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8 GB | Corsair CV450M

Laptop : ASUS ROG Strix G17 : i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, GTX 1660Ti 6GB(90W), 1TB NVMe SSD

Yoga 3 14 - i7-5500U, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 940M, 256GB SSD

7 hours ago, Gorgon said:

Let me guess. Windows? It _SHOULDNT_ be using that many resources.

Yeah I'm using windows, I did try make a serious effort to get to grips with linux ubuntu in 2008, but the experience was so bad that I have avoided linux ever since.

I'm going to resurrect my 6-GPU rig in a couple of weeks and have 5 2070supers and a 2070A in it so I'll have some hardware to play with.

A 4080 is 7-8 times faster than the 2070, I imagine they will be somewhat more demanding on the cpu, likely made worst by NVidia's driver overhead on windows. 

Monitor your CPU utilization as well. All threads at 100% under Windows will likely tank things.

Yes of course. CPU utilization is still very high, but ppd number are up for sure.

I have also be looking at CPU utilization on other machines, and they also have high CPU utilization when using 40 series cards. A 4080 at 50% power limit uses around 10% CPU utilization on my overclocked 3700x 16 core machine, and my 4090 at 50% power limit uses around 10% CPU utilization on my heavily overclocked 5600x 12 core machine. Looking at these numbers I'm not surprised the 3500x with only 6 cores is struggling with 5 40 series cards. 

I imagine the 3500x might just be able to do the job under linux, but considering I'm going to have a spare 5500 or 3700x laying around, its going to be easier to drop in a cpu than setting up linux. 

11 hours ago, rkv_2401 said:

Linus just shouted us out on the WAN show! No idea what he said tho

Linus talked about having someone on the social team "to engage with the initiatives that have been left alone by us", he brings up the folding team as an example.