Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

10 minutes ago, terrytek said:

@vetali so I took a closer look at the motor. Turns out, there isn't any coolant in the oil, so the head or the gasket doesn't seem to be shot (i hope), since the gasket prevents it from mixing, but I noticed that yesterday, i filled the expansion tank with water, and today when I checked it, it's empty. Could that possibly be the source of it overheating?

Don't dance around the issue. When head gaskets blow, they rarely mix coolant to oil. 95% of the time its combustion to coolant. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Just now, vetali said:

Don't dance around the issue. When head gaskets blow, they rarely mix coolant to oil. 95% of the time its combustion to coolant. 

So will replacing the head gasket possibly remedy the issue? Because if there isn't coolant/oil mixed then the head should be fine and a head gasket should replace it and it should be fine...?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

8 minutes ago, terrytek said:

So will replacing the head gasket possibly remedy the issue? Because if there isn't coolant/oil mixed then the head should be fine and a head gasket should replace it and it should be fine...?

As long as the head didn't warp or crack, yes.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Just now, FuzzyYellow said:

As long as the head didn't warp or crack, yes.

I didn't see any coolant in the oil, so I'm assuming the head isn't warped/cracked, so maybe I might get away with just a head gasket replacement. But it still doesn't explain how it goes through an entire expansion tank's worth of coolant every time I put some in there. It was full yesterday, now it's empty. Maybe the tank itself is leaking idk.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

40 minutes ago, vetali said:

nay. they don't filter well. 

What would you recommend?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, terrytek said:

If its the issue and not something underlying and its done right, yeah. Head and/or the block could be warped which will result in another blown head gasket shortly after repair. If you don't know what you're doing its not something you should attempt yourself. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

Just now, vetali said:

If its the issue and not something underlying and its done right, yeah. Head and/or the block could be warped which will result in another blown head gasket shortly after repair. If you don't know what you're doing its not something you should attempt yourself. 

I'm gonna convince my dad to take it to a shop and have it done because I do not want this car to fail after it's replaced if it's DIY; rather have it done by the mechanic. Maybe before that I'd have the mechanic see if the head is still good, maybe we can find a reman head and use that.

What would you recommend?

OEM

They actually give a fuck about the product they put out. I tried a K&N in my Mazda for personal testing. Fuel trims are much leaner (likely not agreeing with MAF) and started consuming oil. 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

I didn't see any coolant in the oil, so I'm assuming the head isn't warped/cracked, so maybe I might get away with just a head gasket replacement. But it still doesn't explain how it goes through an entire expansion tank's worth of coolant every time I put some in there. It was full yesterday, now it's empty. Maybe the tank itself is leaking idk.

that is a lot of coolant. No smoke?

if the head is warped, you won't notice it until you take it off. It's not necessarily going to show when it's all assembled.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

1 minute ago, vetali said:

OEM

They actually give a fuck about the product they put out. I tried a K&N in my Mazda for personal testing. Fuel trims are much leaner (likely not agreeing with MAF) and started consuming oil. 

Wow. Okay good to know. Thanks!

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

that is a lot of coolant. No smoke?

if the head is warped, you won't notice it until you take it off. It's not necessarily going to show when it's all assembled.

No smoke. But the no coolant either baffles me.

And maybe I'll try to get my dad to take the car to a shop and see if they can see what's up with it. I'm sure they have the tools to check if it's still any good. 

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

I'm gonna convince my dad to take it to a shop and have it done because I do not want this car to fail after it's replaced if it's DIY; rather have it done by the mechanic. Maybe before that I'd have the mechanic see if the head is still good, maybe we can find a reman head and use that.

Its gonna be more than the car is worth to get it fixed if it is a head gasket. 

Its gonna be more than the car is worth to get it fixed if it is a head gasket. 

How so? The gasket itself is like 30 bucks, unless extra work needs to be done to it, plus labor.

How so? The gasket itself is like 30 bucks, unless extra work needs to be done to it, plus labor.

The labor on engine work tends to be expensive. 

If you had the money, I'd say turn the Protege into a track car and get another daily, though if you had the money, we probably wouldn't be talking about this either.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

99b1f510e5.png

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Do you know how labor intensive it is to change a head gasket? Not to mention and machining that needs to be done...

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

99b1f510e5.png

Where is that? Rockauto sells head gaskets for only 30.

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

The labor on engine work tends to be expensive. 

If you had the money, I'd say turn the Protege into a track car and get another daily, though if you had the money, we probably wouldn't be talking about this either.

Well it's really a timing job, then removing cams, head bolts/studs, then gasket, then reverse.

1 minute ago, FuzzyYellow said:

Do you know how labor intensive it is to change a head gasket? Not to mention and machining that needs to be done...

Well, it seems labor intensive, but IDK if my dad is willing to pay for it, since I'm not sure if he wants to plunk down money for another commuter car.

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Where is that? Rockauto sells head gaskets for only 30.

all data

Just now, vetali said:

all data

will shops allow me to source the parts myself? because that would save a couple bucks there bc they're much cheaper on rock auto.

Just now, terrytek said:

will shops allow me to source the parts myself? because that would save a couple bucks there bc they're much cheaper on rock auto.

Some do, some don't. Most wont warranty work for provided parts if anything were to happen. 

Just now, vetali said:

Some do, some don't. Most wont warranty work for provided parts if anything were to happen. 

well shoot. but i mean i can still get it warrantied if the part fails itself theoretically, it's just not the labor. but i might have my dad take it to a shop see if the head itself is still worth saving. i want this car to make it to 300k, even if repairs cost more than the car is worth.

well shoot. but i mean i can still get it warrantied if the part fails itself theoretically, it's just not the labor. but i might have my dad take it to a shop see if the head itself is still worth saving. i want this car to make it to 300k, even if repairs cost more than the car is worth.

Well the thing with a head gasket is a repeat failure is rarely do to a faulty part. 

At that many miles as well, there could be issues with poorly sealing valves or scoring in the cylinders. 

Well the thing with a head gasket is a repeat failure is rarely do to a faulty part. 

At that many miles as well, there could be issues with poorly sealing valves or scoring in the cylinders. 

Well only way to find out is to take it to the shop and have it checked out.