Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

26 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

in cylinder 4, yes. 

wow, i'm worried for you too. and i'm worried my poor protege might have run into some oil burning issues, like bad enough that replacing the pcv valve can help. i think it's the piston rings going out and leaking oil, burning it. and at 278k miles, it isn't too far off. but like i'm worried the engine won't even make it to 300k, and we might have to either replace the motor (which i prefer since this car has so much sentimental value, and a used motor is as little as 400 bucks) or just scrap the car totally.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

or @bcredeur97 ls solves problems

Image result for ls swap miata

LS is a good engine. But it's done so often as a swap. Same with the 2jz. Why do all the work doing a swap that you know someone else within a few hour drive has. 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Mazda OEM bearings: $200.74 (both rod and main and thrust)

ACL race bearings: https://fab9tuning.com/acl-race-bearing-set/ $122

Mazda OEM connecting rods: $519.76 (all 4)

Manley forged H-beam rods with ARP bolts: https://fab9tuning.com/manley-forged-h-beam-rods/ $359

Mazda OEM pistons: $403.72

Supertech Forged Pistons: https://fab9tuning.com/supertech-forged-pistons/ $398 (not right C/R tho... would have to find something else similar or just OEM)

Mazda OEM rings: $169.15 (says "set" so I assume it's all of them?)

Wiseco NPR XX rings: https://fab9tuning.com/wiseco-npr-xx-complete-ring-set/ $89

Mazda bill: $1293 + machine shop dues and shipping

Aftermarket (stronger parts) bill: $968 + ditto

Mazda prices from priority mazda parts website.

@vinyldash303 why does this not make any sense?? stronger/bottom end that lasts forever and a day AND cheaper than OEM lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

8 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

you can get a thicker head gasket to fix the cr ratio yeah? if not  could have the pistons machines to do the same thing...

Would you have the thing balanced like etcg?

depends on how much balancing costs. I think those rods actually come pretty epically balanced out of the box, probably more than OEM. 

but yeah the whole idea would be to have an OEM-like engine(even running on stock tune) that is pretty much bulletproof

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

44 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Someone on the miata forum posted on a thread I made who had an identical problem to mine, rough idle and P0304, fine when revved out and seemed to make plenty of power. 

Ended up being piston rings, engine lost all compression a wouldn't run at all within a year. said it was still sitting in his garage

well that's just wonderful isn't it? -_- @vetali @vinyldash303 @warmmilk @whoever-else

or it could be a coilpack on its way out... do NB's use coil packs?

19 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

not really an option, no. too expensive.

If it ends up being rings i'll probably end up throwing a lot of money on rings, pistons(OEM), and bearings, maybe rods(which i'd get stronger than OEM just because they are oddly a tad cheaper, and it's good insurance). Not to mention cleaning up and remachining the block for oversize pistons (.020" or 0.040") if I have to. le sigh. it's not the end of the world but really didn't want to spend this much money right now. 

time to start being really tight and pinching pennies again

if thats really the case, it might just be cheaper to buy a used engine and swap it in...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

2 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

or it could be a coilpack on its way out... do NB's use coil packs?

if thats really the case, it might just be cheaper to buy a used engine and swap it in...

bought a new coilpack (it's a weird system, coils on #2 and 4 with wires running to 3 and 1 respectively, it's waste-spark.

Actually if you look at the conversation up above i'd feel better with just rebuilding it and ending up with something way better than any other motor could give me, used VVT miata engines run around $2k anyway. pm me

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

bought a new coilpack (it's a weird system, coils on #2 and 4 with wires running to 3 and 1 respectively, it's waste-spark.

Actually if you look at the conversation up above i'd feel better with just rebuilding it, used VVT miata engines run around $2k anyway.

did you change the wires?  you should really do a compression test and a leak down before you start freaking yourself out about rings

to reply about oem prices, new oem parts are typically more expensive.  its a volume thing.  people usually don't buy those kinda parts oem, its usually warrenties and insurance companies that buy oem.  but aftermarket is bigger (for engine rebuild stuff), hence better prices

and, uh, put a Honda V6 into it

@vinyldash303

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Just now, warmmilk said:

did you change the wires?

to reply about oem prices, new oem parts are typically more expensive.  its a volume thing.  people usually don't buy those kinda parts oem, its usually warrenties and insurance companies that buy oem.  but aftermarket is bigger (for engine rebuild stuff), hence better prices

and, uh, put a Honda V6 into it

@vinyldash303

yep new plugs, wires, one coil pack (the problem cylinder, #4), fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel injectors, cleaned EGR, intake manifold, throttle body, and the IAC was replaced. MAF is clean. Air filter changed too. 

All of this means I probably have a problem... so yeah that's why im thinking about this now. 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

yep new plugs, wires, one coil pack (the problem cylinder, #4), fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel injectors, cleaned EGR, intake manifold, throttle body, and the IAC was replaced. MAF is clean. Air filter changed too. 

All of this means I probably have a problem... so yeah that's why im thinking about this now. 

ok so maybe its the rings...

Just now, warmmilk said:

ok so maybe its the rings...

yeah and I've been knowing I've had more oil than what I'd deem *normal* in the PCV system, particularly at the valve itself, everytime I take off the hose I literally have oil dripping from it. Combine that with the valve cover that always leaks no matter what I do must mean there's too much positive crankcase pressure which means excessive blow-by which means rings.

@vinyldash303 

Not good.

I guess that motor is a cheap ebay reman like I originally feared and you pointed out when the HG or water pump whatever it was that went and I decided to just change everything.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

yeah and I've been knowing I've had more oil than what I'd deem *normal* in the PCV system, particularly at the valve itself, everytime I take off the hose I literally have oil dripping from it. Combine that with the valve cover that always leaks no matter what I do must mean there's too much positive crankcase pressure which means excessive blow-by which means rings.

@vinyldash303 

Not good.

I guess that motor is a cheap ebay reman like I originally feared and you pointed out when the HG or water pump whatever it was that went and I decided to just change everything.

sorry man, that sucks

Just now, warmmilk said:

sorry man, that sucks

money and time wise, yes. 

Experience wise? no. 

if I get a stronger motor that will last me forever out of it, everything will be ok in the long run.... At least I have that internship... Probably gonna be skipping lunch breaks everyday now tho (thats the one thing they let me do... no overtime :( )

Need a car that works to get there. I luckily  have friends who can get me there though if need be at least. Doesn't help that next school semester I won't have one of my scholarships anymore paying for things... I do have less classes though. So maybe it'll work out. We'll see. Parents help but some still does come out of my pocket every semester

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Here ya go. Semi Truck platform, big big turbo and 75 pounds of boost.

In need of more boost

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 hour ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Damn!!! It looks amazing!

OMG OMG OMG I LOVE THAT CAR!!!!! .... gimmie?!!

Sorry she's all mine xD

On 7/22/2015 at 10:07 PM, {EAC} Shoot em UP said:

If you find a better option, I will buy it lol. These pictures are also crap, they are linked to facebook and I guess they just come out crappy. Car looks a little better irl, but yea whateva. There are not many grill options for the v6. I would love something like this tho (the grille, not the rest of it tho):

IMG_2116.jpg

I haven't posted in here in a LONG time, but I figure I would quote myself and show what it has become ;) (even though the original pix are all broke, wth LTT)

This thing goes hard! So incredibly happy with how it turned out. Stock base model 2012 v6 is how it started, custom ordered because there where no v6, grabber blue manuals in the entire country for sale. Its now a beats of a car with a mod list that is stupid long, and man its a blast on the track, autoX and a does work up in the canyons. I hurt a lot of v8 feelings out in the canyons, and a few super cars here and there :ph34r:

33180990974_86d001234d_k.jpgFX2_6849 by David, on Flickr

33136325550_6932b19459_k.jpgFX2_5405 by David, on Flickr

33338651322_dcf2e890ff_k.jpgFX2_5350 by David, on Flickr

33133899770_c184899a74_k.jpgIMG_8791 by David, on Flickr

33133918870_62cddb4838_k.jpgIMG_8711 by David, on Flickr

33137053575_493672f820_k.jpg_FX11180 by David, on Flickr

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

20 minutes ago, {EAC} Shoot em UP said:

I haven't posted in here in a LONG time, but I figure I would quote myself and show what it has become ;) (even though the original pix are all broke, wth LTT)

This thing goes hard! So incredibly happy with how it turned out. Stock base model 2012 v6 is how it started, custom ordered because there where no v6, grabber blue manuals in the entire country for sale. Its now a beats of a car with a mod list that is stupid long, and man its a blast on the track, autoX and a does work up in the canyons. I hurt a lot of v8 feelings out in the canyons, and a few super cars here and there :ph34r:

33180990974_86d001234d_k.jpgFX2_6849 by David, on Flickr

33136325550_6932b19459_k.jpgFX2_5405 by David, on Flickr

33338651322_dcf2e890ff_k.jpgFX2_5350 by David, on Flickr

33133899770_c184899a74_k.jpgIMG_8791 by David, on Flickr

33133918870_62cddb4838_k.jpgIMG_8711 by David, on Flickr

33137053575_493672f820_k.jpg_FX11180 by David, on Flickr

Recommend better gearing. When I test drove a V6 it felt slower then my slow as slow can be Jetta. I assume it had 2.73 gears or something around that mark. I'd recommend 4.10's or 3.73's.

Edit: Didn't help it was also a automatic....Ew 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

On the thing about V8 vs V6s and so on with smaller engines, literally the only reason why people like them (including myself) is you get absolute gobs of torque at the low end. And for me personally, I think it's obnoxious to need to wait to rev out a tiny engine just to get it going. That doesn't make me think it's powerful or fun, just anemic. By the time you're getting into "power" you're already ending up at redline. Sure you can turbo.. or you could just go with a V8. Need more power? Small turbo on a V8 to balance it out. You'd have to run so much more boost in a small engine to get similar torque and power but then your drivability disappears pretty quickly imho and that's necessary for any vehicle. Lastly, it's fun to throw something big and heavy around a corner more than a tin can being on rails. Takes more finesse.

7 hours ago, techswede said:

On that note. When i do get an LS based engine to throw in the thing. (Which will be a while since the flexfuel engine i'm looking at is $5000ish)

The V6 needs a new home. 

The question is in what. My first thought is the sunny b12 coupe. 

But what else might be fun to swap it into. Original mini? 

Gokart.

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Someone on the miata forum posted on a thread I made who had an identical problem to mine, rough idle and P0304, fine when revved out and seemed to make plenty of power. 

Ended up being piston rings, engine lost all compression a wouldn't run at all within a year. said it was still sitting in his garage

well that's just wonderful isn't it? -_- @vetali @vinyldash303 @warmmilk @whoever-else

Pull the bottom oil pan and weld the bottom of your pistons to the walls, won't be having that problem any more. ;)

Reminds me of a "friend"/aquaintence I worked with, he would always jokingly do gay things ALL the time, which felt weird to me.

Anyways he drove a car, I called it baby blue. He didnt like me calling that, and puffed out his chest and said no its metallic ice blue or some nonsense.

Mustangs in a darker baby blue is not manly nor strong.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

money and time wise, yes. 

Experience wise? no. 

if I get a stronger motor that will last me forever out of it, everything will be ok in the long run.... At least I have that internship... Probably gonna be skipping lunch breaks everyday now tho (thats the one thing they let me do... no overtime :( )

Need a car that works to get there. I luckily  have friends who can get me there though if need be at least. Doesn't help that next school semester I won't have one of my scholarships anymore paying for things... I do have less classes though. So maybe it'll work out. We'll see. Parents help but some still does come out of my pocket every semester

Yeah, I'm sure building an engine is a good experience, unfortunately not cheap though...

you should still do a compression test at least. It's pretty much free since you can do it yourself and the stuff you need is free to rent at most auto parts stores

10 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Anything with a hatchback can technically be called a hatch back. Im looking at you 1990's mustang and most modern corvettes.

Still wouldnt class them as hatchbacks tho.

I know what you mean but they bodystyle is completely wrong imo

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Skoda also markets and sells this Octavia as a hatchback. Probs because the glass also opens. 

z16891164Q,Skoda-Octavia-4x4.jpg

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

4 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

On the thing about V8 vs V6s and so on with smaller engines, literally the only reason why people like them (including myself) is you get absolute gobs of torque at the low end. And for me personally, I think it's obnoxious to need to wait to rev out a tiny engine just to get it going. That doesn't make me think it's powerful or fun, just anemic. By the time you're getting into "power" you're already ending up at redline. Sure you can turbo.. or you could just go with a V8. Need more power? Small turbo on a V8 to balance it out. You'd have to run so much more boost in a small engine to get similar torque and power but then your drivability disappears pretty quickly imho and that's necessary for any vehicle. Lastly, it's fun to throw something big and heavy around a corner more than a tin can being on rails. Takes more finesse.

Gokart.

Pull the bottom oil pan and weld the bottom of your pistons to the walls, won't be having that problem any more. ;)

I'm in the same camp as you on that. I like an engine that i don't have to rev the nuts off. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Only good thing about my new apartment is that i'm getting 250/100 internet through fiber. 

Just ordered it and should be getting it tomorrow.

This is my last day in this house. And its pretty spartan at the moment. All i have is my pc and the bare essentials. 

The rest is in the apartment already. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB