Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

9 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

That's some pricey metal.

I know... Not worth doing it for fuel mileage alone, I'd probably benefit from a megasquirt more for fuel mileage, tune it so it doesn't go open loop until later on and also runs a bit leaner at low load, 3500rpm-4250rpm range

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, FuzzyYellow said:

no, but i'd rather do it than have the bottom my my car rust out cuz MN winters and salt.

See the reason I find it not so fun to do is because I've helped with undercoating a car before, but we actually removed everything under the vehicle to fully coat the metal.

3/10 would still end up doing again.

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

I know... Not worth doing it for fuel mileage alone, I'd probably benefit from a megasquirt more for fuel mileage, tune it so it doesn't go open loop until later on and also runs a bit leaner at low load, 3500rpm-4250rpm range

Get an overdrive unit and chop up your driveshaft! :D

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i guess the americans actually got transmissions right compared to the japanese, got the right idea. then again, american motors were typically much more torquier than japanese motors.

wow, even my protege's gearing is longer than that.

6b8947215b.png

G15 tranny for FS 2.0 motor. gears are about .3 longer than the miata's, but then again, it has one less gear to send power through. but the final gear is actually quite long in the protege, 4.1 compared to 3.9. but that means i can accelerate a bit quicker than the miata, you just have better top speed.

it would be. the Miata is a sports car. sports cars generally have shorter gearing. 

this is the gearing on the accord.

V6-6MT
1st - 3.933:1
2nd - 2.487:1
3rd - 1.700:1
4th - 1.250:1
5th - .976:1
6th - .771:1
Final Drive Ratio - 3.286:1

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

See the reason I find it not so fun to do is because I've helped with undercoating a car before, but we actually removed everything under the vehicle to fully coat the metal.

3/10 would still end up doing again.

yeah i wouldn't bother removing everything. what's under there is in decent enough shape that i would just coat over it.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Get an overdrive unit and chop up your driveshaft! :D

Is it sad I don't even know what this means?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

yeah i wouldn't bother removing everything. what's under there is in decent enough shape that i would just coat over it.

Whenever I can get around to restoring the Mustang I'm going to coat it just because it'll be apart and I won't be annoyed with that. Oh fun times that'll be.

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Is it sad I don't even know what this means?

I'm not sure.

Edit:

I should probably explain, an overdrive unit is basically like a tiny transmission that you can engage as you please to lower what RPM you're running at.

3 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

it would be. the Miata is a sports car. sports cars generally have shorter gearing. 

this is the gearing on the accord.

V6-6MT
1st - 3.933:1
2nd - 2.487:1
3rd - 1.700:1
4th - 1.250:1
5th - .976:1
6th - .771:1
Final Drive Ratio - 3.286:1

well i technically consider the protege a budget sports car, especially in manual, because this car is stiff, and the suspension is actually very good in this car. plus it being light can attribute to its sportiness. though really not a lot of people see this car as being sporty. so really the gearing in this car technically works for this car.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

@chaozbandit you should totally buy one and send it my way :D

85d3436dbf.jpg

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Whenever I can get around to restoring the Mustang I'm going to coat it just because it'll be apart and I won't be annoyed with that. Oh fun times that'll be.

I'm not sure.

Edit:

I should probably explain, an overdrive unit is basically like a tiny transmission that you can engage as you please to lower what RPM you're running at.

I've never heard of that....  In the Corolla you could toggle overdrive but it was just 4th gear in the transmission. Turning it off only made the ECU not shift to 4th

but I've never heard of a "overdrive unit"... That's interesting.

Spoiler

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

$10.40 what the fuck

but to me i think it's the hot wheels to end all hot wheels

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

well i technically consider the protege a budget sports car, especially in manual, because this car is stiff, and the suspension is actually very good in this car. plus it being light can attribute to its sportiness. though really not a lot of people see this car as being sporty. so really the gearing in this car technically works for this car.

what? i never said the gearing didn't work for that car.

also, I don't care what you say, the Protege is not a sports car. Neither is a corolla, my accord, or a Camry.

they are all commuter/family cars. that doesn't mean they can't be quick, or handle well, but they are not sports cars.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I've never heard of that....  In the Corolla you could toggle overdrive but it was just 4th gear in the transmission. Turning it off only made the ECU not shift to 4th

C-4_Flat-lg.jpg

gears.jpg

For example a company called Gear Vendors sells them.

https://www.gearvendors.com/index.html

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

but to me i think it's the hot wheels to end all hot wheels

$10.40, what the fuck

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

I want to add that unles you do the top speed calculations for each gear in the protege, taking everything including tire size into account, then we still don't know if the protege or Miata is longer geared. 

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

i don't know about an overdrive unit, but the Tundra has a button in the cap of the column shifter that disables overdrive. (AKA 4th gear).

that's why the column shifter only has D, 2 and L.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

I want to add that unles you do the top speed calculations for each gear in the protege, taking everything including tire size into account, then we still don't know if the protege or Miata is longer geared. 

I have tried to find this for the accord, but i'm not having any luck. I do know that 1st is around 40, 2nd is around 60, and 3rd is 85ish, maybe 90.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

1 minute ago, FuzzyYellow said:

i don't know about an overdrive unit, but the Tundra has a button in the cap of the column shifter that disables overdrive. (AKA 4th gear).

that's why the column shifter only has D, 2 and L.

Our suburban makes it simple, the lever selects "D, 3, 2, 1" essentially you can replace D with a 4, and selecting 3 is basically turning off overdrive. 

Then em there's tow/haul mode which just makes the ECU stay in each gear longer. Basically a rebranded "sport" mode. 

The newerr trucks with the 6 speeds have just "D" and "M", which have a +/- selector on the column to go up and down gears when you select "M" lol

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

I have tried to find this for the accord, but i'm not having any luck. I do know that 1st is around 40, 2nd is around 60, and 3rd is 85ish, maybe 90.

It's a calculation you have to make involving tire size, diff ratio (final drive), gear ratio, maybe something else I don't know. 

Also know your rpm limiter. Look this explains it pretty well:

http://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion/24559-how-calculate-top-speed-each-gear-long.html

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Our suburban makes it simple, the lever selects "D, 3, 2, 1" essentially you can replace D with a 4, and selecting 3 is basically turning off overdrive. 

Then em there's tow/haul mode which just makes the ECU stay in each gear longer. Basically a rebranded "sport" mode. 

The newerr trucks with the 6 speeds have just "D" and "M", which have a +/- selector on the column to go up and down gears when you select "M" lol

the Tundra also stays in each gear longer when the "overdrive off" button is pressed. kind of a goofy setup if you ask me.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

It's a calculation you have to make involving tire size, diff ratio (final drive), gear ratio, maybe something else I don't know. 

Also know your rpm limiter. Look this explains it pretty well:

http://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion/24559-how-calculate-top-speed-each-gear-long.html

I found a website to do the math for me. :D

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 12.00.59 PM.png

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Now the Audi is a complicated beast. 

You have "D" in which is just shifts economically, uses all 8 gears. Then you have "S" which will stay in gears longer but if it senses you are cruising it'll go ahead and go to the highest gear it can after a while (I think it's the "I forgot to shift back to "D" mode" lol)

In the meantime you can use the paddle shifters in any mode you'd like. But if you don't press them after a little while then it'll just go back to whatever mode you have the selector in. To fix this you can slide the shifter over to "M" and go up and down gears with the shifter or the paddles and it'll stay in the gear you select for as long as until you select another one. 

That said, being in M mode on the highway and having to down shift through 5 gears to accelerate and pass someone is annoying so best leave it in "D" or "S" on the highway lol

but it does shift pretty quick. Faster on up shifts than downshifts, but very good for a traditional auto that's for sure. The 8th gear is also crazy long, I think it sits at or below 2k rpm @ 80 mph lol

Spoiler

I found a website to do the math for me. :D

-snip-

You should make it have ~500hp so it can actually do 200mph xD

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I have an option for first and second gear too I think.

HEY GUYS! MY CAR CAN DO 200MPH!!!!

lol