Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

lol *sad face*

I like VW... but I sort of agree somewhat... their newer cars are so overly-complex. Module for this, module for that. and everything is crazy expensive. Like why can't they just have one main ecu like everyone else? lol

Well I don't find an issue with modules. The problem is their release tangs for their connectors and lack of bulkheads. The release tangs are impossible to unlatch without a screwdriver and without any bulkheads you have to unhook everything to do a motor. Which a lot of manufacturers do this, but with the crappy tangs it makes it to where I gotta remove a lot of unnecessary things just to get to one connector with a screwdriver. I mean, I worked 8 hours today and I'm just about to get the motor+trans out... pretty pathetic. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

i would definitely put some meatier and bigger tires if i build a truck for offroad, and definitely tougher shocks, because i doubt the stock ones can take a serious beating offroad.

I would avoid massive tires and just go for enough ground clearance and good tread on them. And it depends what you're doing, I can go off roading just fine with my stock shocks. I'm not doing any pre-running but that doesn't come up very often either. Usually if you're getting to the limit of your shocks you're past the limit of your tires on whatever terrain you're driving on.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I would avoid massive tires and just go for enough ground clearance and good tread on them. And it depends what you're doing, I can go off roading just fine with my stock shocks. I'm not doing any pre-running but that doesn't come up very often either. Usually if you're getting to the limit of your shocks you're past the limit of your tires on whatever terrain you're driving on.

i mean i'm not talking huge tires, maybe just tires with rims one size larger than stock, with some deep tread, like toyo open country tires, and maybe i'd carve up some local offroad trails, but there could be some low speed crawling, and i might need some shocks that allow a very wide range of flex.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

18 minutes ago, terrytek said:

boring? trucks can be fun, give them good suspension with a couple inches lift, some good rims and tires, and you can have something that can offroad and still be able to tow a decent amount.

16 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Perfect!

M8ie I can drift every corner if I wanted to, I wouldn't say trucks are boring. ;)

Ok I shouldn't have said trucks are boring rather, the trucks in my price range would be boring lol, just a run of the mill mid size like a ranger, to coma,  dakota, or something of that nature :/  that would be the most practical  anyways, would lover a first or second gen cummins with a nice set of tires and leave it alone besides that  or an old style nissan or toyota Har body style, with flat bed, roll cage and a decent tire setup with a moderate lift for going out in the bush.....  and I know trucks can drift xD still remember driving down a twisty gravel road in the snow with my dad's boat of a dodge diesel 4 door long box manual drifting around every corner... even on yhe streets once the tires were a little more worn.... wish he still had that thing... peice of shit body but I'd still rip it.... rip crank bearings

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

All you need to do is rip the lower air dam on the bumper off and you're good. Then go up one size with Toyo open country AT/2 s if you're just hitting some dirt, or MT/2 if your hitting some light mud. They're spendy but damn are they good tires for just about anything a daily will see.

I've heard some Pirelli Scorpions are pretty amazing as being both on road and off road tires. I've still got tread left so I've got time to pick. :D

And yeah, that air dam is annoying.

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i mean i'm not talking huge tires, maybe just tires with rims one size larger than stock, with some deep tread, like toyo open country tires, and maybe i'd carve up some local offroad trails, but there could be some low speed crawling, and i might need some shocks that allow a very wide range of flex.

You're better off keeping the stock wheel or same size + beadlock and getting a meatier tire so you can air down properly. ;) 

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

I almost want to get a toyo banner for my windshield

I can't stand windshield banners. :P

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I've heard some Pirelli Scorpions are pretty amazing as being both on road and off road tires. I've still got tread left so I've got time to pick. :D

You're better off keeping the stock wheel or same size + beadlock and getting a meatier tire so you can air down properly. ;) 

i mean i'd like to look for some new rims if i get a truck, and i'd get something at least one size larger to give it a bigger appearance. i mean i feel like it might give the same effect larger rims on a car would give compared to stock sized.

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I almost want to get a toyo banner for my windshield

i wanna get a speedhunters banner on my car (wish i'd do it for my e39 m5, but there's a sensor at the top of the windshield preventing it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

okay, another question. the accord recommends 5w-20 oil. I'm looking at getting either 0w-20 or 5w-30 synthetic for my next change (pennzoil platinum pure plus). given that temps are dropping now, do I go with the 0w-20, or the thicker 5w-30?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

I for sure want to get the biggest tint visor thing 

Whatever these are called:

Done on the s10 just because I drive west and east around the times the sun is rising and setting.

And I think they look neat. 

Okay thats the main reason but still.

I'm sticking with my sunglasses. Though I really need to replace the lenses. Left one is scratched pretty well and they aren't quite tinted enough for when I'm driving during sunset.

Though that's mainly a problem because nobody turns their fucking lights on.

2 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

okay, another question. the accord recommends 5w-20 oil. I'm looking at getting either 0w-20 or 5w-30 synthetic for my next change (pennzoil platinum pure plus). given that temps are dropping now, do I go with the 0w-20, or the thicker 5w-30?

5w-30 is fine, but heck, I like to run a 0w-xx in our cars in the winter. Makes a noticeable difference even though it only gets down to the 30's here.

0w-30 would probably work too

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

-snip-

5w-20 because that's what the people smarter than (almost) all of us here decided would be best. The last thing you want is Vtec to not kick in when you need to spin the tires to get unstuck. 

Vtec can not work because you used the improper oil weight. 

pffffft

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Remember though he has Vtec, and as ETCG has said, when the Vtec light comes on usually its an oil issue, and usually its because they used something other than what the filler cap says.

all im gonna say is if the UOA's come out fine from other people using it in the same motor, the oil is fine.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic 5W-20 Motor Oil, 5 Quarts

5w-20 because that's what the people smarter than (almost) all of us here decided would be best. The last thing you want is Vtec to not kick in when you need to spin the tires to get unstuck. 

Vtec can not work because you used the improper oil weight. 

yeah. the thing is, we do get down to 0 and below frequently here, and the car is going to be outside 24/7, so the 0w-20 might be kinda nice on the engine, and it's still a 20 weight, so it still should be in spec. :/

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Remember though he has Vtec, and as ETCG has said, when the Vtec light comes on usually its an oil issue, and usually its because they used something other than what the filler cap says.

i've been using 5w-30 for 7k miles now with no issues. 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Just let it warm up a bit then. If you really feel you need to get the 0 weight but if it were me, I'd just run the 5w-20 year round. But its your car so it comes down to what you want to do.

the other thing is, cold startups account for a good chunk of engine wear. i'm just trying to minimize that, especially because they're the same price.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

That's why I try to idle mine in the morning as long as I can. In the winter its usually 10 or 15 min. and I know idling it isn't hurting it at all in the morning because the oil pressure is just under 50 pounds. That way the oil is just reaching OT when I roll into the parking lot at school. 

But try it. Why not? have you got an oil pressure gauge in your cluster?

no oil pressure or temp gauge unfortunately. :/

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

i've used 5w30 on the van even though it calls for 5w20, and it still runs fine. might take a little longer to warm up, but it does seal up much better. plus i think it can keep heat in better, iirc.

@fuzzyyellow  If you really wanted to you could add a prelube system like they do on gensets and then crank it over. All it does is turn over the oil pump for like 15 seconds before the starter engages. You'd have no wear :P 

i'll look into it, thanks. ;)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

im sorry, but as much as I like it, it's not worth $40,000 xD

cool car though. I want to put a big engine in one xD

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Midnitewarrior4 said:

is it on pc ? if so where the hell do i buy ?

Windows store, you need the W10 anniversary update to be eligible to play. $80/100/120 for the different editions which give you access to VIP (2x credits on in-game events) and DLC content. I've heard mixed reviews of playing on a 970 but for now I'd wait it out a couple more weeks until Turn 10 sorts out the accidental bans from online play. The engine could use a bit more optimization if you're really looking to push your system graphically, otherwise I'd say the gameplay experience is 70% there. I've had a lot of crashing on my copy and I've logged a week of in-game time to date, many of those hours enjoyable but the bugs stand out more than they should.

1 hour ago, Mister2010 said:

why would you need the aniversary edition? .... just windows 10 should do ... in theory ....

a ton of people are saying that its not worth it ... but then again ... it seems to be quite good even with its faults (i dont have it since my pc would just melt it self when i would start the game up ) 

idk .. never bought anything from the MS store maybe @chaozbandit knows more about it 

You need the anniversary update to play FH3. At least, that was the condition that needed to be met when I preloaded the game.

It's not worth it if you're paying the full $100 and you're not going to be playing every week. The main reason why the digital copy from the Windows store is so expensive is because it's part of the Play Anywhere program, meaning you are buying access to play on PC and XB1. So your best bet is to either wait a bit to see if there are any decent discounts for PC, see if there are cheaper console versions if you have the XB1 because chances are your FH3 experience will genuinely be better there (plus its all the same co-op / online gameplay anyways).

Just whatever you do, don't buy from grey-market websites that sell keys.

That being said, there is technically a 30-day trial period whereby you can apply for a refund if you don't like the game, if you really want to see how it handles (but be weary because Microsoft support are known to have turned some people down). There are plenty of videos on YouTube and with the latest patch 1070 users are reporting decent FPS.

These are from two patches ago, if you wanted an idea of what the gameplay is like.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

What filter?

i've been using Fram Tough Guard. (so not the blow-up cheap ones)

maybe i'll switch to  Fram ultra synthetic.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

Just throwing this out there in case anyone's familiar with DSMs...

I'm president of the autos club at my school. Mainly we just work on the club car, a '98 Eagle Talon Tsi. Right now we have the engine (the one and only Mitsubishi 4G63T, ours is a seven-bolt if I remember right) out of the car to rebuild, and I need to find a good kit with all the gaskets/seals/rings/bearings to rebuild it with. I've done some research but I'm not really sure where to start and I haven't found much. Anyone know a good place to shop and what I should be looking for?

Look at my systems:

Spoiler

My main testing/gaming system "Bitlo" is an upgraded HP Pavilion p6710f:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 undervolted to 1.225v vcore @3.00GHz, with additional undevolts for each P-state.

Stock AMD cooler- with the undervolt that's all I actually need

8GB PNY DDR3

Zotac GTX 560 Ti, 880MHz core & 2360MHz mem at stock voltage, has been delidded and repasted, plan on strapping an AIO on to overcome current temp issues

EVGA 500W PSU

120GB Toshiba Q300 SSD

1TB Seagate HDD

Every day carry: Toshiba Satellite L655-S5150. Pentium P6200 @2.13GHz, 4GB RAM.

Black themed workstation I'm working on:

Xeon E5-2670 (SR0KX)

Cooler Master Hyper T4

ASRock X79 Extreme4

16GB (2x8) Adata XPG DDR3

Gigabyte R9 290 OC Edition

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Dell XPS 630i 750W PSU

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD

Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB HDD

Diablotek EVO ATX Midtower case

39 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Not just vtec... any variable valve timing you should use the rated oil. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Why not something like an STP Extended life?

cuz they aren't at walmart? :P

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler