Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

About to go to the inspection garage in a few minutes. 

Fingers crossed that this car won't cost me an absolute fortune

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

10 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

That's awesome! My first car was a white 89 GMC S15. Looked just like this. Now I know what I should have done with it. ;)

I know I've probably mentioned this before but theres someone who built a competitive rally truck to run in the targa Newfoundland tarmac rally. He had a good few years but it's a handful 

@terrytek

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

13 minutes ago, techswede said:

When the car finally stops he just looks around like

"Okay.. All my bits are intact. Stuff is broken on the car.. Better get my phone and get out then" 

You can see that he is in chock. But still. Amazingly calm

I'd like to know what the heck happened... lol

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Just now, MEC-777 said:

I'd like to know what the heck happened... lol

Hydroplaning is what the imgur post claimed 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 hour ago, techswede said:

Carbed redblocks yeah^^ With stromberg carbs. God i loved those

We charged parts and pastries 

Ours have the stock carbs too, they sound AWESOME! 

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Got into my car today and picked up a new keyboard.

Just decided to grab a cheapish mechanical keyboard that caught my eye.

Ended up with a Turtle beach Impact 600. Cherry mx brown

Getting used to it will take a while but at least i can type again :D 

Red backlight though.. All my other things have blue backlight... Dang it.

I didn't know Turtle Beach made keyboards. Bet they're overpriced and the cord breaks..

35 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

That was weird.... It's was like so calm lol

its like he casually looked over, yelled, and if the car was rolling (according to title it did) it's like he didn't even move lol

Didnt you see the grass in the rear window??? And his stuff flying around in the car??

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

8 pages left till 3000 pages and also 75k posts (I think)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, Strando123 said:

Didnt you see the grass in the rear window??? And his stuff flying around in the car??

no, I was still half asleep

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

i'd get it, if i was able to convert the front end from bugeye to blobeye. i like the blobeye front end much better than the bugeye.

5 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Could put it on the bottom. That's what I'll have to do if I ever have a car that's fitting for. Being 6'5" I need all the space I can get at the top of the windshield. 

i mean the speedhunters banner i'm sure is only long enough on the top; it'd look weird on the bottom, plus i'm sure those windshield banners would follow the curve of the top of the windshield. i mean i'm sure there are banners that look good on the bottom, but the one i want would look good only on the top.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i'd get it, if i was able to convert the front end from bugeye to blobeye. i like the blobeye front end much better than the bugeye.

i mean the speedhunters banner i'm sure is only long enough on the top; it'd look weird on the bottom, plus i'm sure those windshield banners would follow the curve of the top of the windshield. i mean i'm sure there are banners that look good on the bottom, but the one i want would look good only on the top.

or just don't get a windshield banner because they look ridiculous on a street car

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

or just don't get a windshield banner because they look ridiculous on a street car

idk i like windshield banners, even if they serve no purpose. i want one. if all else fails, i'd just cut a hole for the sensor to pass through the windshield, so it's a compromise to let the sensor work and to have a windshield banner.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

23 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

8 pages left till 3000 pages and also 75k posts (I think)

Sounds about right.

man, either carid is trying to rip me off, or niche wheels are way more expensive than i thought. https://www.carid.com/2003-bmw-5-series-wheels/?filter=1&submodel=204219765&manufacturers[]=102 i honestly thought they'd be like 200-300 bucks a rim, not 500-1000 dollars for ONE.

56 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

Ours have the stock carbs too, they sound AWESOME! 

Fun to work on too

54 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I didn't know Turtle Beach made keyboards. Bet they're overpriced and the cord breaks..

The cord is braided and it was about $90. So it isn't too bad

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got home from the inspection.

Need to fix the handbrake. Doesn't bite on the left rear wheel. But other than that she's all good.

(provided that there isn't anything dodgy going on with the paperwork which will be checked on monday

The ONE day i go in for an inspection with a car that has all sorts of dispensations they need to check
the swedish transport agency's whole network crashes )

hWuV4Tl.jpg

A bit of surface rust but nothing major at all. All the bushings are in surprisingly good condition. 

Tyres are good. License plate is a nonissue. Brake lines are solid. Emissions test went well. 

Diff doesn't leak one bit. Which means the thing is probably toast and needs to be repaired though.

The inspection garage is wall to wall with a shop i did the work experience thing in when i was in school.

I was maybe 13-14 years old and they let me change valve springs xD 

19 minutes ago, techswede said:

The cord is braided and it was about $90. So it isn't too bad

Reason I said that is because every Turtle Beach headset I had ended up failing because of the wiring. :P

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

No emissions issues? That means you can go Catless because it's burning clean enough :P

Oh bwoi

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Reason I said that is because every Turtle Beach headset I had ended up failing because of the wiring. :P

Hopefully their keyboards are better. 

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

No emissions issues? That means you can go Catless because it's burning clean enough :P

More like it was within acceptable limits so the engine is probably good. :P

And now i know how the exhaust looks so i can start planning for the 3" exhaust with different mufflers i want to put in. 

Benefit of planning to swap the L36 for an L67 is that if i make a new exhaust from the manifolds and back it'll just bolt straight on the new engine 

And the engine doesn't leak anything right now <3 didn't have time to snap a pic but it was beautiful 

Hydroplaning is what the imgur post claimed 

I've actually seen a Prius hydroplane and spin out right in front of me on the highway once. Completely out of the blue. They didn't roll it, but I imagine they probably sh*t their pants, lol. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

7 minutes ago, techswede said:

Benefit of planning to swap the L36 for an L67 is that if i make a new exhaust from the manifolds and back it'll just bolt straight on the new engine 

You're planning on making an engine swap that only gives you 40hp? o.O

Just now, MEC-777 said:

I've actually seen a Prius hydroplane and spin out right in front of me on the highway once. Completely out of the blue. They didn't roll it, but I imagine they probably sh*t their pants, lol. 

I've seen a couple of cars hydroplane. Mostly without incident. 

But there was a volvo 760 a few years back that was driving along in front of me and then suddenly they were in a field by the side of the road.

They went off at about 120km/h and it happened insanely fast. 

1 minute ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

You're planning on making an engine swap that only gives you 40hp? o.O

And 50Nm's of torque. Which means i can register it with that engine without major modifications. And then turn up the boost, and fiddle with the internals a bit.

If i swapped in say an LS engine i'd have to change so much that it would just be better to get the camaro SS. 

I'm only aiming for about 300-350bhp with this car. As it'll be my daily for 3-5 years + 

Just now, techswede said:

And 50Nm's of torque. Which means i can register it with that engine without major modifications. And then turn up the boost, and fiddle with the internals a bit.

If i swapped in say an LS engine i'd have to change so much that it would just be better to get the camaro SS. 

I'm only aiming for about 300-350bhp with this car. As it'll be my daily for 3-5 years + 

Fair enough.

Here in Poortugal, the only swaps you can make are swaps that are hard to differenciate. Like an M54B30 (engine of the 330i E46) on a 320/323/325/328.

If you swap an engine with more cylinders, illegal.

If you turbo your NA engine, illegal.

-_____________________________-

Just now, JoaoPRSousa said:

Fair enough.

Here in Poortugal, the only swaps you can make are swaps that are hard to differenciate. Like an M54B30 (engine of the 330i E46) on a 320/323/325/328.

If you swap an engine with more cylinders, illegal.

If you turbo your NA engine, illegal.

-_____________________________-

Apart from the ridiculous engine swap rule we have similar bs over here.

Can't turbo an NA engine :/ But swapping in the L67 which is just a supercharged L36. Perfectly ok.. So incredibly dumb.

If it was legal to turbocharge an NA engine over here i'd just do that and be done with it. (Well. Supercharge) 

Count your blessings @MEC-777 that you don't have to deal with the TTC on a regular basis. Between the roadworks and car accidents, this has been a regular sight at King  / Spadina for the past 6 months. Worse off is the fact that construction contracts that caused these detours, that were supposed to complete Oct 19, have now been extended to the end of December. And we're supposed to get another bad winter this year. 

Bless our city council. 

Oh, and they've closed the entire QEW through downtown for the weekend for fall maintenance. 

501, 502, 504 lines

6cff8b9ec4fe48fc966f439844eac22b.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB