Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

33 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

I've actually seen a Prius hydroplane and spin out right in front of me on the highway once. Completely out of the blue. They didn't roll it, but I imagine they probably sh*t their pants, lol. 

I think most of the time this happens because of people ignoring their tires...

I mean i've been in some of the worst rain storms and flew threw huge puddles, i mean the tires do spin if I floor it but if I drive sensibly it's perfectly fine...

I just don't understand how someone could randomly spin after all the heavy rain driving i've done here... The worst it ever got to me was the back end slid out on a roundabout in my miata but i just backed off the throttle a bit and it came back in line....

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, chaozbandit said:

Count your blessings @MEC-777 that you don't have to deal with the TTC on a regular basis. Between the roadworks and car accidents, this has been a regular sight at King  / Spadina for the past 6 months. Worse off is the fact that construction contracts that caused these detours, that were supposed to complete Oct 19, have now been extended to the end of December. And we're supposed to get another bad winter this year. 

Bless our city council. 

Oh, and they've closed the entire QEW through downtown for the weekend for fall maintenance. 

501, 502, 504 lines

Definitely glad i don't live down town, nor have to commute down there. I have a friend that lives near College and Bathurst and I hate driving down there when ever I visit him.

As much of an inconvenience as it is - all this road maintenance and construction - it needs to be done and there's no way around it. If it doesn't get done, the roads will deteriorate and people will complain the roads are poorly maintained. If they do go and fix it, people complain while the work is being done. No matter what they do, people complain. lol

Don't know what the solution is, but that's part of the problem with cities and why I'm not a fan of being down-town; Too many people in too small of an area. (and yes I am a somewhat introverted anti-social person ;) ). 

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I think most of the time this happens because of people ignoring their tires...

I mean i've been in some of the worst rain storms and flew threw huge puddles, i mean the tires do spin if I floor it but if I drive sensibly it's perfectly fine...

I just don't understand how someone could randomly spin after all the heavy rain driving i've done here... The worst it ever got to me was the back end slid out on a roundabout in my miata but i just backed off the throttle a bit and it came back in line....

Given that a Prius has special tires that are hard as rock and don't channel water very well, that's probably a big part of it. I've hit some pretty gnarly standing-water on the roads a few times and my car hydroplaned, but I never spun out or even went sideways. I think the other part of it is how people react behind the wheel when it happens.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

This is a good listen: :) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Another thing to note about my camaro is that the indicators mounted on the sides aren't standard.

They are from a saab xD

They look like this

lg_204cb904-5d18-4875-9251-95e80243300c.

@RevoltTrain

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

8 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Definitely glad i don't live down town, nor have to commute down there. I have a friend that lives near College and Bathurst and I hate driving down there when ever I visit him.

As much of an inconvenience as it is - all this road maintenance and construction - it needs to be done and there's no way around it. If it doesn't get done, the roads will deteriorate and people will complain the roads are poorly maintained. If they do go and fix it, people complain while the work is being done. No matter what they do, people complain. lol

Don't know what the solution is, but that's part of the problem with cities and why I'm not a fan of being down-town; Too many people in too small of an area. (and yes I am a somewhat introverted anti-social person ;) ). 

Given that a Prius has special tires that are hard as rock and don't channel water very well, that's probably a big part of it. I've hit some pretty gnarly standing-water on the roads a few times and my car hydroplaned, but I never spun out or even went sideways. I think the other part of it is how people react behind the wheel when it happens.  

that is true. but yeah when i hit a huge puddle i just keep the wheel pointed straight and slowly let off the throttle and it seems to work...

I only really got sideways that one time because i got on the throttle to exit the corner and sort of forgot it was wet and that my car was RWD now lol. (wet weather in the corolla was funner, could still floor it off of all the corners and it was fine lol, just control the throttle to control how much it understeers lol, bad part of this is I often drove very fast in the rain in that car because the fact that people slowed down so much in the wet weather, the rainX on my windshield, and the fact that the car was pretty much impossible to spin, it was so easy! lol)

welcome to the introverted and and anti-social club. I hate new orleans lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

according to tesla, their cars are pretty much fully autonomous now with their latest updates...

https://www.tesla.com/autopilot

THE END IS NEAR :'( 

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

according to tesla, their cars are pretty much fully autonomous now with their latest updates...

https://www.tesla.com/autopilot

THE END IS NEAR :'( 

I'll bet that we'll see scrapping incentives for non autonomous cars within this decade.. 

1 minute ago, techswede said:

I'll bet that we'll see scrapping incentives for non autonomous cars within this decade.. 

you're probably right. But honestly I would kind of love for a lot of people to have autonomous cars and me not have one. 

It'll be super easy to get around traffic. The cars will just stay where they are... you don't have to worry about idiots pulling out in front of you lol

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

They're going to become mainstream eventually but in the process there's going to be a lot of accidents. Get dashcams people, because you vs a robot in court there's no hope.

true this ^^^ 

Do they make GOOD cheap dashcams yet? I want one but they are kind of expensive :/ 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

you're probably right. But honestly I would kind of love for a lot of people to have autonomous cars and me not have one. 

It'll be super easy to get around traffic. The cars will just stay where they are... you don't have to worry about idiots pulling out in front of you lol

Or it'll be impossible to get out on the highway and "Autonomous cars only" signs will go up everywhere..

zo17k1m.jpg

"Having trouble with your washer fluid freezing in winter? Then you should consider SUPERPISS!"

I have to write up a set of "instructions" for a topic for my technical writing class (ex. "how to build a gaming computer"). Having trouble coming up with a topic though... Has to be long enough to be a few pages but not so long that I can't do it in the time I have. 

Any ideas?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

I have to write up a set of "instructions" for a topic for my technical writing class (ex. "how to build a gaming computer"). Having trouble coming up with a topic though... Has to be long enough to be a few pages but not so long that I can't do it in the time I have. 

Any ideas?

How the french manage to build cars with only spit and kleenex? 

37 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Any ideas?

How to prepare your car for racing?

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

22 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

How to prepare your car for racing?

^^^ GENIUS! Thank you

i can do solo/autocross too, to keep it simple

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

^^^ GENIUS! Thank you

i can do solo/autocross too, to keep it simple

No problem dude!

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

i was bored... the front had a bunch of chips in it, and i was sick of the red, so I repainted. stupid tape messed up the finish of the black though. :dry:  I'll post pics of it on the car when the paint dries completely.

IMG_20161021_134146393.jpg

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

11 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Thats only $1250?? 

Any S13 here is over £5k

It's a open diff auto though. At least it says Dohc instead of sohc 

But if it was for sale when I was car shopping I would be seriously looked at it. Would be a fun cruiser and slight stance build 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

3 hours ago, techswede said:

Another thing to note about my camaro is that the indicators mounted on the sides aren't standard.

They are from a saab xD

They look like this

lg_204cb904-5d18-4875-9251-95e80243300c.

@RevoltTrain

Looks just like my indicators on the 9-5

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

9 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Looks just like my indicators on the 9-5

That is because it is xD 

34 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

i was bored... the front had a bunch of chips in it, and i was sick of the red, so I repainted. stupid tape messed up the finish of the black though. :dry:  I'll post pics of it on the car when the paint dries completely.

-snip-

I like that way more than the red lol

hey what do you use to stick those on a car? I never knew what was strong enough to use lol

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

It's a open diff auto though. At least it says Dohc instead of sohc 

But if it was for sale when I was car shopping I would be seriously looked at it. Would be a fun cruiser and slight stance build 

Even still, thats cheap af compared to here

I mean its cheaper to buy this than an S13 (Currently none for sale).

Its only £3k

media (6).jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

I like that way more than the red lol

i agree, but it sure was a pain in the butt. it still doesn't look very clean, but you can't really tell from 10 feet away.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h