Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Been watching a bunch of videos from this guy as of late. I don't know what it is, but he's charismatic in some way.

5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I think he said in the video at some point "there went oil pressure" or something like that

Yeah and then kept running it... The oil pump on a 3.8 is external and really easy to replace. However the main oil pressure gallery goes right through the timing cover, so its possible for those to leak internally and/or externally through the gasket. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

8 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Well, yeah. I'd shut it off if my guage decided to drop out the bottom.

On another note, I do want to get a set of headers this summer. And vette servo is going in tomorrow. Hype!

Yeah same, then hook up a physical oil pressure gauge. 

My dad had some edelbrock headers and y pipe on his s10. Do not recommend. They rusted out in about 3 years in a non salt area. Hard to find good headers for s10s because they changed the exhaust design so much every year, at least with the early 2nd gens. My dads is a 97, and a 96 has one less o2 sensor, and a 98 is completely different. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

54 minutes ago, vetali said:

It is your choice to believe it or not I suppose. Something I didn't notice in your video prior however:

Is your oil pressure sensor faulty?

51 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I think he said in the video at some point "there went oil pressure" or something like that

26 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeah and then kept running it... The oil pump on a 3.8 is external and really easy to replace. However the main oil pressure gallery goes right through the timing cover, so its possible for those to leak internally and/or externally through the gasket. 

Okay I know knocking is bad but that's not the main problem. Pretty sure it knocks because the rods have just been compressed over time. Can't exactly do anything about it, the engine isn't out of timing so much to be a concern so I'm not going to deal with something that I can't fix at the current time.

Yeah that gauge has been wonky for a while. It's said we've lost oil pressure a lot before and we haven't. No leaks anywhere (surprising, one thing working on this car) and the oil level doesn't go down at all. It's not leaking or burning so I'm ignoring that for now, rather have a running car to begin with. Could be a problem with the board in the dash needing to be resoldered as I've mentioned a couple posts up.

I should add, if it suddenly lost all oil pressure you would hear it instantly. And probably smell it from oil puking out a seal.

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

But we are still talking about that pwishing type noise thought right? 

Uhhh.. I don't think so? The obvious rod knock noise is obviously rod knock.. Think the only other noise that's notable is the firing in the engine not being clean and even. Any pwishing type noise I could be thinking of might be the alternator, especially while the hood was open. That thing should have been replaced years ago but nope. Dunno what you mean by pwishing unless you can timestamp what you mean.

Waiting on a friend to get off from work to bring his spark plug socket so I can take a look at them and see if it's easily fixable. And to record while driving to see if it pops on video.

8 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Okay I know knocking is bad but that's not the main problem. Pretty sure it knocks because the rods have just been compressed over time. Can't exactly do anything about it, the engine isn't out of timing so much to be a concern so I'm not going to deal with something that I can't fix at the current time.

Yeah that gauge has been wonky for a while. It's said we've lost oil pressure a lot before and we haven't. No leaks anywhere (surprising, one thing working on this car) and the oil level doesn't go down at all. It's not leaking or burning so I'm ignoring that for now, rather have a running car to begin with. Could be a problem with the board in the dash needing to be resoldered as I've mentioned a couple posts up.

I should add, if it suddenly lost all oil pressure you would hear it instantly. And probably smell it from oil puking out a seal.

Its been sitting a while. Might need an Italian tune up. Ford likes to wait until the monitor limit to throw a check engine light for a misfire. Maybe it'll come on by then. Then if you have a scanner you can see which one is missing. Or do a power balance test if you don't have a scanner on hand. 

12 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Ah. I'll stay away from those then. These are the ones I was looking at from JBA. Is the non symetrical design okay? Or will that potentially cause issues? These are also stainless steel so rust shouldn't be an issue for quite some time I'd think.

JBA Headers 1840S-3 - JBA Headers Cat4ward Headers

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/jba-1840s-3/overview/make/chevrolet/model/s10

The are asymmetrical to wrap around the steering shaft it looks like. So you have to pull off the steering shaft to put them on. Unequal length headers sound like trash on an s10 IMO. 

Just now, vetali said:

Its been sitting a while. Might need an Italian tune up. Ford likes to wait until the monitor limit to throw a check engine light for a misfire. Maybe it'll come on by then. Then if you have a scanner you can see which one is missing. Or do a power balance test if you don't have a scanner on hand.

Might be able to use a scanner to check but I'm going to start with the really simple things that are easy. Hopefully it's just the new wire for the spark plug being loose. Really hope that it's nothing worse, like the threads for the plug being gacked.

20 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

So this is from earlier today, audio is a bit weird and the engine didn't pop, only does that while driving?, but it's the gist of it.

When you went around back behind the car and I could hear the exhaust, I could hear cylinders cutting out/miss-firing. That is the "pft pft pft" you hear. You should check your plugs, ign wires, coil packs etc. Sometimes if you get a spray bottle and mist water on the coil packs while it's running, it will start to arc revealing the issue. 

Or you could try wearing a pair of heavy thick gloves and use rubber handled pliers to start pulling ign wires off - one at a time. If you notice a difference in how it runs, put that wire back on and move on to the next. If you don't notice a difference, the issues is with that cylinder and it's probably the plug, wire or coil pack.

As for the rod knock, try adding some Lucas oil heavy duty engine oil stabilizer. Add about 1/2L to your engine oil (pour it right into the engine). It will help reduce the knock and help your rod bearings last a little longer.   

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I used to always turn my nose up at Mazda Wankel engines but the more a listen to them the more i like the sound they produce  (well at least the ones that dont have the ricer exhaust on them ) :D

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

5 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

I used to always turn my nose up at Mazda Wankel engines but the more a listen to them the more i like the sound they produce  (well at least the ones that dont have the ricer exhaust on them ) :D

you dont get much better than a straigthpiped rotary

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

1 minute ago, Strando123 said:

imo European v8 10 and 12s still beat out a rotary.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

lEKNScL.jpg

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

34 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

what, nononononononononoononononononononononononononoononononnonoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i absolutely hate the "pissy" sound of those godawfull modern german v10 and v12 engines. (v8 engines are not included because AMG make some v8s that sound AMAZING)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

40 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

Agreed.

On the topic of euro v12s 

I want one soo bad..

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

11 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

what, nononononononononoononononononononononononononoononononnonoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i absolutely hate the "pissy" sound of those godawfull modern german v10 and v12 engines. (v8 engines are not included because AMG make some v8s that sound AMAZING)

Any engine beats out the Rotary in my opinion.

On another note 

8DFU2Hi.jpg

Its just missing a trailer hitch and a matching camper 

well..... i need new underpants! (the mazda 323 gtr looks so innocent, but dont judge that book by its cover!)

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server:

9 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

well..... i need new underpants! (the mazda 323 gtr looks so innocent, but dont judge that book by its cover!)

The hood makes it look like a ricer. :ph34r:

Was anyone else annoyed by the Model 3 car talk on the WAN Show?

System: Thinkpad T460

2 hours ago, Strando123 said:

The glorious dorito power. 

11 minutes ago, Speedyv said:

Was anyone else annoyed by the Model 3 car talk on the WAN Show?

wasnt annoyed by the model 3 car talk more amused. I was slightly annoyed be the fact that he pronounced my user name wrong but its a hard name to pronounce correctly 

2 hours ago, Strando123 said:

I must disagree with the pissy part

5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Is it may - bock one two three?

close click on the first play button. Thee one who i am most pissed at by saying maybach wrong is shmee150 (you would think he would know how to pronounce a cars name)

http://readbrand.com/auto/maybach/ 

1 hour ago, Maybach123 said:

wasnt annoyed by the model 3 car talk more amused. I was slightly annoyed be the fact that he pronounced my user name wrong but its a hard name to pronounce correctly 

The fanboying annoys me. And they acted like the car is objectively good looking. Which it is not. 

System: Thinkpad T460

Just now, Speedyv said:

The fanboying annoys me. And they acted like the car is objectively good looking. Which it is not. 

i honestly dont mind the looks of it that much now that i am used to it. Also i think going off of the  model x it looks better in person than it does on camera 

On 1.4.2016 at 5:41 AM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Quotes + mobile = broken

My pc:

(Black Glacier)

My server: