Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

4 hours ago, Motifator said:

clueless boomers

I'm glad to know 20yr's is boomer status. Fuck the rest of people here are already in the crypt if that's the case.

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Oh no we got called boomers again. One more time and we'll be forced to eat at a Golden Corral

me n my homies parked at Golden Corral in the god car, it has a backup camera

Golden Corral Buffet & Grill 5207 San Mateo Blvd NE Albuquerque, NM  Restaurants - MapQuest

looney-tunes-yosemite-sam.gif

Fucking floor is still dirty...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

11 hours ago, IPD said:

Having owned a 3/S for nearly 15 years, I'm sad to say that the "neutral drop" is an all too common occurrence among sports-car culture where idiots who have automatics think they can get the "performance/features/mystique" of a manual by trying to abuse an auto like it's a manual.

And the sad thing is, it's not even THAT difficult to learn how to power-brake.  And beating a manual (same make/model) off the line is usually as easy as having a shift kit and a higher-stall torque-converter added.  But instead, a know-nothing will just slam it into gear at redline rpm and expect a miracle to prevent transmission destruction.

Didn't realize it was that common. Insane what some people will do to perfectly working cars. 

You'd figure that group of drivers would just buy a manual from the get-go and call it a day.

Main PC: Ryzen 1600 @4GHz, 16GB 2933 MHz DDR4, 1060 6GB blower card.

Laptop: ThinkPad T580 (i5, iGPU, FHD, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD+1TB HDD). Used with both the regular and extended-run batteries (RIP power bridge).

13 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

You asked for examples, I gave a brief list of some that they can and do have a lot of and you still dismiss them because "most other" cars can have them. 

But sure, you keep thinking theyre perfect with their "aggressive gear ratios" whatever that fuckin means and calling everyone with a different opinion a "clueless boomer"

Your opinion is not factual, there aren't mass reported cases of things you listed for that vehicle. The aggressive gear ratio thing was related to how relaxed the Aisin was on the Insignia towards highway speeds, and how it limits the car on launches. It's also a slow transmission regardless of that part. However, all this turned into a joke because of the utter toxicity of you and the users above. What a load of crap.

2 hours ago, Motifator said:

Your opinion is not factual, there aren't mass reported cases of things you listed for that vehicle. The aggressive gear ratio thing was related to how relaxed the Aisin was on the Insignia towards highway speeds, and how it limits the car on launches. It's also a slow transmission regardless of that part. However, all this turned into a joke because of the utter toxicity of you and the users above. What a load of crap.

Theyre literally listed as common faults, I work with multiple techs who worked on those cars daily, I have my own experiences with them. But sure, just an opinion 🙃

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

5 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

What isn't convenient to him, he doesn't accept. A very intriguing way of living.

Insignia god car

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

5 hours ago, lboolaka_33 said:

Didn't realize it was that common. Insane what some people will do to perfectly working cars. 

You'd figure that group of drivers would just buy a manual from the get-go and call it a day.

New, yes.  But people don't buy manuals new--which is why there's a legion of whiners out there who keep crying foul about how there aren't manuals offered in most cars anymore--despite the take rate on that transmission being financially unsustainable for the manufacturer.

So this is a common occurrence in the used market, where cheapskates who can't afford to buy new--nor can respect a used vehicle appropriately--start mishandling auto transmissions.  I swear to christ, it's like IPA's.  As one bartender at a micro-brewery once remarked to me "nobody actually likes IPA's.  They're just something people drink because it's the hip thing to do."  And that's pretty much my thoughts about manuals and why the purists keep screaming bloody-murder about them, despite the sales figures on them clearly indicating they are not a viable product to offer.

16 hours ago, vetali said:

Oh no we got called boomers again. One more time and we'll be forced to eat at a Golden Corral

This nearly killed me 😂

If they're not at a Golden Corral, they're at a Cracker Barrel or Bostin Market

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

13 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

This nearly killed me 😂

If they're not at a Golden Corral, they're at a Cracker Barrel or Bostin Market

Hey wait a minute, I like Cracker Barrel and Boston Market. Lmao.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Boomer

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I had no idea I had a boston market in my town until I met up with a friend there; we were the youngest patrons there by about 50 years and I wish that was an exaggeration. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

7 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I had no idea I had a boston market in my town until I met up with a friend there; we were the youngest patrons there by about 50 years and I wish that was an exaggeration. 

Yeah that doesn't surprise me, all the ones I've been to outside of Massachusetts have been like that. Sorta even the one here but I have seen all ages there at least.

The owner is a cool lady, good food too lol.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

New, yes.  But people don't buy manuals new--which is why there's a legion of whiners out there who keep crying foul about how there aren't manuals offered in most cars anymore--despite the take rate on that transmission being financially unsustainable for the manufacturer.

So this is a common occurrence in the used market, where cheapskates who can't afford to buy new--nor can respect a used vehicle appropriately--start mishandling auto transmissions.  I swear to christ, it's like IPA's.  As one bartender at a micro-brewery once remarked to me "nobody actually likes IPA's.  They're just something people drink because it's the hip thing to do."  And that's pretty much my thoughts about manuals and why the purists keep screaming bloody-murder about them, despite the sales figures on them clearly indicating they are not a viable product to offer.

That's fair. I almost gave up and bought an auto due to the lack of used MT cars, but was able to put my money where my mouth is and find a used stick optioned how I wanted it (e90). 

Personally, I would buy another stick new if I had the money and it was avaliable on the car I wanted, but I agree that I'm in the vast minority. And yeah, now that I think about it, it's pretty common seeing people who want to show off without putting in the "effort" to drive with three pedals.  Just didn't realize they were dumb enough to do things like neutral drops. 

Main PC: Ryzen 1600 @4GHz, 16GB 2933 MHz DDR4, 1060 6GB blower card.

Laptop: ThinkPad T580 (i5, iGPU, FHD, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD+1TB HDD). Used with both the regular and extended-run batteries (RIP power bridge).

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Never had Boston market 

cracker barrel used to be amazing. It’s only /ok/ now. I feel like they cut costs by turning down quality instead of just raising prices 

I rather restaurants in particular just raise prices instead of doing smaller portions/hurting quality. Because those two things just make me not want to eat there at all instead of just eating there less because of what my budget allows lol 

uhhh this is totally car related I drive my car to Cracker Barrel right? Lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Never had Boston market 

cracker barrel used to be amazing. It’s only /ok/ now. I feel like they cut costs by turning down quality instead of just raising prices 

I rather restaurants in particular just raise prices instead of doing smaller portions/hurting quality. Because those two things just make me not want to eat there at all instead of just eating there less because of what my budget allows lol 

uhhh this is totally car related I drive my car to Cracker Barrel right? Lol 

Good Boston Market gets a thumbs up, just pricey. Bad Boston Market is worth running away from.

Yeah I agree with that, I feel like their cheeses were the first things to turn to shit tbh.

TIL:  The Dutch made the world's first CVT in a production car.

7 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

That lime rice isn't bad, actually most of the food isn't bad it's just very soft and easy to chew. Now when I want some old people food...Bob Evans is the place I like to go. They used to have this breakfast burrito...oh man that thing was great. I could eat that in the morning on a road trip and pretty much be full the rest of the day, just a couple bottles of water and some jerky later on.

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

some jerky later on

Kinky

Are Duralast reman Brake Calipers any good? 

I rather stick with centric for brake parts, but I'm lazy and I rather drop the core parts off at a store instead of boxing them up and shipping them lol. 

That's the thing with local auto parts stores... the store is right there. makes things easy

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Mostly fine. Rarely have issues with aftermarket calipers. Occasionally the random seized pin or bad threads on the bracket.

But really, unless the calipers are bad you are better off cleaning and re-using them.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Mostly fine. Rarely have issues with aftermarket calipers. Occasionally the random seized pin or bad threads on the bracket.

But really, unless the calipers are bad you are better off cleaning and re-using them.

They are 20 years old, and last time I did brakes on the miata (like 3 or 4 years ago lol) I kinda struggled because the adjuster hex screw and gears were all messed up. On one side the gears internally were half missing.

So I knew next time I did brakes they would just need to be replaced. 

I'm not a fan of those rear calipers. Specifically the adjustment mechanism, you gotta be real gentle and patient with them. The front are completely normal though and prob fine.

Also the core charge is crazy on these rear calipers. $90 each (well for centrics from rockauto or treasurecoast miata, autozone only $59)

Spoiler

56 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

They are 20 years old, and last time I did brakes on the miata (like 3 or 4 years ago lol) I kinda struggled because the adjuster hex screw and gears were all messed up. On one side the gears internally were half missing.

So I knew next time I did brakes they would just need to be replaced. 

I'm not a fan of those rear calipers. Specifically the adjustment mechanism, you gotta be real gentle and patient with them. The front are completely normal though and prob fine.

Also the core charge is crazy on these rear calipers. $90 each (well for centrics from rockauto or treasurecoast miata, autozone only $59)

Oh, on the Miata. Pretty much the same. Haven't had too many issues on parking brake caliper rears. Do a lot on the civics and accords. We've actually been shifting to Autozone a lot more but thats for unrelated reasons. Oreillys screwed us on a warranty on a heater core and a couple power steering racks. The racks are a crapshoot. Usually blow out the seals within 500 miles.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

I kind of just bought another saab. I overheard a guy talking about selling his daughters saab and I told him that I'm a saab enthusiast and just like that in the afternoon I had bought it.

A 2006 9-5 vector, 2.3t 185hp, i payed equivalent of 500 usd for it.

The exterior has seen better days but the interior is like new and it runs and drives great. 

20220708_182739.thumb.jpg.1f873457b33aa66759315ef98e2311f0.jpg20220708_182754.thumb.jpg.2c80e7185f4bad7325c77c1c138e7e55.jpg20220708_182815.thumb.jpg.c782843731b4103f09f6285993ea8dec.jpg20220708_182824.thumb.jpg.c7e5f5f445b24da1fa07472f8a7ab182.jpg

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed