Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, Aniallation said:

For that specifically? Leaf. It is a really underrated chassis, and even stock, handles very well for what it is. The Bolt is noticeably worse for handling and chassis rigidity.

Carving forest backroads with a stock 2018 Leaf during my trip to Oregon:

As a car/an EV though? Definitely the Bolt, considering it's significantly better range and active cooling for the battery. The defective batteries have been recalled and are getting replaced, so ones that have been won't just blow up. 

My understanding is that the Leaf's biggest drawback is the lack of temperature control for the batteries--which is why they tend to degrade faster than competing EV's.  Of course, that's 1st gens, and I think they've addressed this now.  IDK for certain.

Bit warm outside on this side of the US

CA25D472-2DC8-41B4-B6CB-9C92768A3E38.jpeg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

48 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Did you decide to drive west of Texas? That's a mistake lol

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Did you decide to drive west of Texas? That's a mistake lol

You’re telling me. I’m finally at my hotel after a 977 mile 14.5 hour journey near Phoenix. It was 111F.

the no humidity thing is weird. Best way I can describe it is preheating your oven, opening it, and just standing in front of it lol 

wheras in Louisiana you just sweat buckets as soon as you step outside (and as a result you smell and feel disgusting the rest of the day) 

I’m doing it to pass by a friend’s place tomorrow in southern Cali. And I get to cross this off the list of places I’ve been so… worth it 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

You’re telling me. I’m finally at my hotel after a 977 mile 14.5 hour journey near Phoenix. It was 111F.

the no humidity thing is weird. Best way I can describe it is preheating your oven, opening it, and just standing in front of it lol 

wheras in Louisiana you just sweat buckets as soon as you step outside (and as a result you smell and feel disgusting the rest of the day) 

I’m doing it to pass by a friend’s place tomorrow in southern Cali. And I get to cross this off the list of places I’ve been so… worth it 

Here we are barely hitting 60 with multiple inches of rain in the past few days lol.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

12 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

🥵

Ugh thats rough, we only up at 33°C here in Hungary.

/ON
Looks like i have a half-dead Lambda sensors. Did a trip to my grandma last week (400+km and most of it was motorway cruise control set to 140 kmh and engine sitting at 4200RPM), system too lean errors changed to intermittent and went away after clearing error codes. Yesterday the car flipped on the check engine and the usual "Abgas Werkstatt" error appeared on the dash..... :old-dry:

8 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Cali is a hellhole with a nice climate.

Best thing to do, imho, is drive 2 hours north from Phoenix to Sedona.  It's amazing how different the temperature is with the elevation change.  Comfortable.  Enjoyable.

11 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Oh god lol

Yeah humidity is pretty awful, I never want to live in the south again for a reason.

I'm being really lazy about this today and just doing a little then taking like hours long breaks and started late on it. Good news is that I started and I am working on it, just had a hard time starting it. A couple stuck bolts but they came out, the vertical hood latch brace lower bolt is pretty stuck and I'd really like to get it out as it makes installing the fan without damaging the radiator a lot more possible. The bolt has turned a little bit but the brace turned with it, I might need to heat it. I can't really get lube on it since it's in a boxed part of the vehicle frame which is all the more reason I do not want to break it. Worst case I work around it by laying a sheet of cardboard over the radiator to protect it when I slip the fan in and then slip the cardboard out. It's pretty successful technique I use at work often.

index vb.jpg

On 6/10/2022 at 4:30 PM, IPD said:

My understanding is that the Leaf's biggest drawback is the lack of temperature control for the batteries--which is why they tend to degrade faster than competing EV's.  Of course, that's 1st gens, and I think they've addressed this now.  IDK for certain.

The degradation part itself is fixed for the 2nd gens, but by way of changing the battery chemistry to tolerate heat and not actually adding thermal management unfortunately. So in the newer ones, you can heat them up as much as you want and it won't accelerate degradation, but long road trips are still a disaster because the hotter it gets the slower it will charge. 

"Rawr XD"

30 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

The degradation part itself is fixed for the 2nd gens, but by way of changing the battery chemistry to tolerate heat and not actually adding thermal management unfortunately. So in the newer ones, you can heat them up as much as you want and it won't accelerate degradation, but long road trips are still a disaster because the hotter it gets the slower it will charge. 

Just slap a few of these bad boys on there!

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

I'm being really lazy about this today and just doing a little then taking like hours long breaks and started late on it. Good news is that I started and I am working on it, just had a hard time starting it. A couple stuck bolts but they came out, the vertical hood latch brace lower bolt is pretty stuck and I'd really like to get it out as it makes installing the fan without damaging the radiator a lot more possible. The bolt has turned a little bit but the brace turned with it, I might need to heat it. I can't really get lube on it since it's in a boxed part of the vehicle frame which is all the more reason I do not want to break it. Worst case I work around it by laying a sheet of cardboard over the radiator to protect it when I slip the fan in and then slip the cardboard out. It's pretty successful technique I use at work often.

index vb.jpg

Good news everyone, I got the stuck bolt free. The boxed frame has some...shapes stamped into it for rigidity which means there's some gaps in the sheet metal so I was able to get some lube in there and get the bolt out without a bunch of fuss. However it is late now and and I am tired and I do not work on my own cars when tired because stupid things happen when you're tired. I think I may also finally install this intake manifold and throttle body I've had kicking around for a few years.

It's got a big boy throttle body, that air is going to be like a hotdog down a hallway boys!

Here’s the only pic of my car I’ve taken so far lol 

C2B818F8-A3AF-49DE-A9D7-B3FD65393832.jpeg

Spoiler

Apparently 111F is not really that normal(I thought it was normal lol) for Phoenix and they haven’t hit those temps in a long time.

they hit 114F yesterday and they haven’t done that since 1918.

my car was fine even with the A/C on driving highway speeds for a couple hours in that area. (You pretty much have the AC maxed the whole time in those temps tho to keep your car cool)  When I got out to fill it up though the radiator fans were at max speed lol 

I wonder what the typical operating temp limit is for a production car? 120F? I thought they drove production cars through Death Valley in development to make sure they would make it in pretty much any condition 

i do think my Miata with the stock radiator would not have made it tho lol. People put aftermarket rads in those cars just to survive a track day 

Spoiler

I'd say 130F ambient temps would be the upper limit of most modern production automobiles, need to remember that sitting in a hot parking lot or stop and go over black roadways you'll see air temps well over 115F, possibly over 120F. With cooling air intake placed low on most cars they are vacuuming up hot air off the road. So ambient temp and air temp hitting the radiator and engine can be off by a good bit. 

Those days we hit 115F last year my fan was full blast after a 5 mile trip. AC was just warm air coming out of the vents, and thats with 1234YF which I believe works better under those conditions.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

Drive I-10 through Death Valley from Phoenix during a hot summer day.  That's a butthole pucker factor praying your car doesn't break down.

6 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Apparently 111F is not really that normal(I thought it was normal lol) for Phoenix and they haven’t hit those temps in a long time.

they hit 114F yesterday and they haven’t done that since 1918.

Uh, they routinely hit 110-115, lol. Wasn't abnormal to see those temps reported when you see the sign for Luke.

45 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Uh, they routinely hit 110-115, lol. Wasn't abnormal to see those temps reported when you see the sign for Luke.

No Shit.  The day I arrived in Phoenix, it was 117F.  Now granted, it's a dry heat--which is better.  But it's still VERY hot.  Only heat worse is something like being in Doha when it's 45-50C out--and it's humid AF.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

No Shit.  The day I arrived in Phoenix, it was 117F.  Now granted, it's a dry heat--which is better.  But it's still VERY hot.  Only heat worse is something like being in Doha when it's 45-50C out--and it's humid AF.

Which is why I'm so skeptical hearing about these "record breaking" temps because I distinctly remember a lot of fucking hot days living all across the southwest.

It was probably the record FOR THAT DAY of the year not the overall record, hitting temps that high in mid June probably isn't so normal, if it were late July through August then that might not be that surprising. Plenty of days around here aren't overall record breaking but they'll break the record for that day of the year, if that makes sense.

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) - Pretty much everyone knows the hottest temperature recorded in Phoenix was 122 degrees on June 26, 1990. But the hottest temperature in the state was recorded at Lake Havasu when the thermometer got to 128 degrees on June 29, 1994.

That's some life threatening heat that I dare say is unlivable for anyone outside in that weather. 128 degrees in the shade is ludicrous heat. Not to get too off topic but medicine and science are discovering that repeated exposure to extreme heat has a cumulative negative effect on our health, and getting heat stroke once makes you more prone to it happening again. Extreme heat causes your body to do wacky things and can damage your brain, heart, and liver/kidneys. Working in heat like that literally causes your muscles to break down and flood your kidneys with too much protein and causes lasting damage. The brain damage caused by extreme heat is very real and certain areas of the brain are more prone to damage than others, if you've had previous injury like from a concussion then your risks of further injury are even higher. Heat is no joke, if it's hot and you don't feel well you have to take care of yourself and do something to cool off. At work I'll spray my shirt down with water to get some evaporation going, grab a fan to blow air my way if I need it, duck into the office for a moment to cool off, or run cold water down my arms in the shop sink to literally cool my blood off as it pumps around.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

It was probably the record FOR THAT DAY of the year not the overall record, hitting temps that high in mid June probably isn't so normal, if it were late July through August then that might not be that surprising. Plenty of days around here aren't overall record breaking but they'll break the record for that day of the year, if that makes sense.

That's some life threatening heat that I dare say is unlivable for anyone outside in that weather. 128 degrees in the shade is ludicrous heat. Not to get too off topic but medicine and science are discovering that repeated exposure to extreme heat has a cumulative negative effect on our health, and getting heat stroke once makes you more prone to it happening again. Extreme heat causes your body to do wacky things and can damage your brain, heart, and liver/kidneys. Working in heat like that literally causes your muscles to break down and flood your kidneys with too much protein and causes lasting damage. The brain damage caused by extreme heat is very real and certain areas of the brain are more prone to damage than others, if you've had previous injury like from a concussion then your risks of further injury are even higher. Heat is no joke, if it's hot and you don't feel well you have to take care of yourself and do something to cool off. At work I'll spray my shirt down with water to get some evaporation going, grab a fan to blow air my way if I need it, duck into the office for a moment to cool off, or run cold water down my arms in the shop sink to literally cool my blood off as it pumps around.

I agree it must have been for the time of the year. The news reports confused me with it being a record. @AlwaysFSX

To your other point though I mean at some point it’s literally killing proteins in your body.. just like what happens with cooking meat. 

you’re literally being cooked, just very slowly. You def don’t want to spend much time outside, pretty much uninhabitable without some kinda cooling for your body. Or a spacesuit lol 

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I agree it must have been for the time of the year. The news reports confused me with it being a record. @AlwaysFSX

To your other point though I mean at some point it’s literally killing proteins in your body.. just like what happens with cooking meat. 

you’re literally being cooked, just very slowly. You def don’t want to spend much time outside, pretty much uninhabitable without some kinda cooling for your body. Or a spacesuit lol 

Explains my brain

15 hours ago, vetali said:

AC was just warm air coming out of the vents

Sounds like a low charge issue.....

5 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Sounds like a low charge issue.....

Sounds like its not.