Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

36 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

YOU GUYS 

20170816_154127.jpg

20170816_154136.jpg

20170816_154149.jpg

20170816_154156.jpg

20170816_154203.jpg

20170816_154228.jpg

FML .... 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

I had to replace my boot lock today. After I pulled it out, I saw why it wasn't working any more; It's got a lot of corrosion... Has anybody an idea as to why this could have happened?

IMG_20170816_222510232.jpg

IMG_20170816_222516016.jpg

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

2 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

not a wagon, need moar low, and manual swap .... other than that .. i want it ... plez 

also @bcredeur97 and @techswede not my fault that i get times where im not home for a while and its sometimes easier to just thumbs up the post than to think of a reply thats worthy of posting (note im not good on replys :/ )

but mainly i have been busy with work and trying to focus on saving up for a car ... 

talking about cars there is a yellow Evo (7 or 8 cant really tell from a distance but pretty sure its evo 8) near me that looks like its for sale for like 10 years or some shit ....

the paint is more like AdamLZ's 240 than the evo yellow cause its been sitting in the sun so much ... but i think i might see how much the car dealer lot thing wants for it ... and try to find out whats wrong ...

Don't want to make it sound like it bothers me --- it doesn't. I understand. That would be a lot of posts to reply to! haha

interesting find. One would hope it's an Evo and not the normal Lancer

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

FML .... 

I couldn't believe my eyes at first. This same shop has a MK4 Supra and R32 GTR also. All they do is Euros and Asian cars. They're who I'm going to if I need any specialty work done on my wagon

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 minute ago, Mister2010 said:

talking about cars there is a yellow Evo (7 or 8 cant really tell from a distance but pretty sure its evo 8) near me that looks like its for sale for like 10 years or some shit ....

the paint is more like AdamLZ's 240 than the evo yellow cause its been sitting in the sun so much ... but i think i might see how much the car dealer lot thing wants for it ... and try to find out whats wrong ...

also side note .. my sister loves evos ... and her favorite color is yellow ... she might help me aquire the car ... if its worth buying .... 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 minute ago, sirtoby said:

I had to replace my trunk lock today. After I pulled it out, I saw why it wasn't working any more; It's got a lot of corrosion... Has anybody an idea as to why this could have happened?

http://imgur.com/C29BjOu.jpg

http://imgur.com/XsD7C3D.jpg

can't see the pics but I sense American Car + rusty parts.

Seems normal :P

idk what it is but like bolts and things on GM's get rusty pretty easily.... and always break off and are in general... annoying

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

can't see the pics but I sense American Car + rusty parts.

Seems normal :P

idk what it is but like bolts and things on GM's get rusty pretty easily.... and always break off and are in general... annoying

should be fixed now, it's from a golf Mk5 though...

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

Don't want to make it sound like it bothers me --- it doesn't. I understand. That would be a lot of posts to reply to! haha

interesting find. One would hope it's an Evo and not the normal Lancer

nah, i know it doesnt, but just saying ... easier to thumbs them up than to reply to 100+ posts ... 

it has to be an evo ... im sure it is ... but not fully sure which one exactly ... and what condition it is and why it has been sitting so many years ... also it does move (i think) .. cause it used to be facing the other way in the car lot a few years ago xD 

it looks something like this from this angle (not the actual car but a similar one)

223229d1398998042-sale-2003-evo-8-lightn

3 minutes ago, sirtoby said:

should be fixed now, it's from a golf Mk5 though...

oh. Don't know then. (can't see pics from imgur at work!)

Spoiler

nah, i know it doesnt, but just saying ... easier to thumbs them up than to reply to 100+ posts ... 

it has to be an evo ... im sure it is ... but not fully sure which one exactly ... and what condition it is and why it has been sitting so many years ... also it does move (i think) .. cause it used to be facing the other way in the car lot a few years ago xD 

it looks something like this from this angle (not the actual car but a similar one)

223229d1398998042-sale-2003-evo-8-lightn

Pretty sure it's an Evo 8 due to the wheels

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

5 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I couldn't believe my eyes at first. This same shop has a MK4 Supra and R32 GTR also. All they do is Euros and Asian cars. They're who I'm going to if I need any specialty work done on my wagon

oh god.... closest to an R34 GT-R or an MK4 Supra i have been is only drift tuned ones ... :/ 

4 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Yeah. Have to pour some oil in the cylinders and try to rotate the engine. Then put a battery in it. Then we'll pour some fresh gas in it and try to start it. I would like to get rid of that insulation on the hood because its haggerd and falling off in places. 

I don't know what you would change on it other than a cam and an exhaust. 

Wheels maybe?

2 hours ago, Speedyv said:

Aw man that sucks. It may be because of your age? 

Where have you applied so far?

I've applied to like 90ish other places since last year, mostly food and clothing stores, 6 interviews, and all no offers.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, RevoltTrain said:

Pretty sure it's an Evo 8 due to the wheels

yeah as i said pretty sure its 8 :D 

Any Evo fanatic know what to look out for in an Evo 8 that has been sitting for years? 

4 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

oh god.... closest to an R34 GT-R or an MK4 Supra i have been is only drift tuned ones ... :/ 

It was unreal, they have all sorts of other cool goodies too, Saabs, Golf R32, etc

3 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

yeah as i said pretty sure its 8 :D 

Only reason I knew that much is a friend has them on his Civic SI

It was unreal, they have all sorts of other cool goodies too, Saabs, Golf R32, etc

Only reason I knew that much is a friend has them on his Civic SI

nice ... wish i knew a shop like that here :/ 

they fit on a civic si? :o 

5 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

nice ... wish i knew a shop like that here :/ 

they fit on a civic si? :o 

Si

18620055_1493263917385688_1028994564120426026_n.jpg

16938522_1397799200265494_6067793892451478441_n.jpg

Si

18620055_1493263917385688_1028994564120426026_n.jpg

16938522_1397799200265494_6067793892451478441_n.jpg

no spacers? 

they do look good tho ...

15 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

Any Evo fanatic know what to look out for in an Evo 8 that has been sitting for years? 

Just think about the general things. Check oil, fuel, seals, any rubber pipes, bushing and suspension under the car, check for rust on the frame rails/body... 

Ask for service records and stuff too. And run the VIN if you can? Who knows why it's sitting. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

Just now, ImadKnight said:

Just think about the general things. Check oil, fuel, seals, any rubber pipes, bushing and suspension under the car, check for rust on the frame rails/body... 

Ask for service records and stuff too. And run the VIN if you can? Who knows why it's sitting. 

well i know the basics but im just asking if there are any evo 8 specific things to look out for 

1 minute ago, Mister2010 said:

well i know the basics but im just asking if there are any evo 8 specific things to look out for 

maybe turbo? who knows if seals are bad or if there is shaft play.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

They're pretty reliable cars. The transfer cases are a bit weak but other than that i'd just look out for regular maintenance stuff.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Just now, techswede said:

They're pretty reliable cars. The transfer cases are a bit weak but other than that i'd just look out for regular maintenance stuff.

ok, this is an answer i was looking for xD 

evos are known for their transfer cases ... in a bad way :/ 

note on the bold part .... if you dont modify it :D 

Just now, Mister2010 said:

ok, this is an answer i was looking for xD 

evos are known for their transfer cases ... in a bad way :/ 

note on the bold part .... if you dont modify it :D 

Yeah look out for mods as well. And terry brought up a good point about the turbocharger. But checking play and that stuff is a bit difficult on initial inspection.

Just listen very well for any weird noises. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Just now, techswede said:

Yeah look out for mods as well. And terry brought up a good point about the turbocharger. But checking play and that stuff is a bit difficult on initial inspection.

Just listen very well for any weird noises. 

it looks like its stock ... 

and yeah that should be a thing to look out for