Xiaomi is building strategy to enter US phone market

Okjoek

Source:

https://www.teletrader.com/xiaomi-is-building-strategy-to-enter-us-phone-market/news/details/42317897?internal=1

Quotes from article:

"Wang Xiang, Xiaomi Corp.'s senior vice president in charge of international operations, told CNBC the cellphone manufacturer always looks "seriously" at the United States and opportunities in its market."

"he added the Chinese company would need to tackle "customizations" to be able to launch sales there and explained consumers are focused on contracts with operators which include the device."

My opinions:

I thought that review Linus made of the ~1000 dollar Xiaomi laptop was really good, one of his more interesting laptop reviews because I had never heard of them and they seemed to have a knack for making a quality product. (That said, it's still too expensive for me, perhaps a remake with Ryzen mobile? Pretty please Xiaomi?) Anyways I've never seen a review from any person I normally watch of a Xiaomi phone, but then again I'm not really in the market for a new phone and I'm not sure my Galaxy S7 will ever feel old to me.

There was an unrelated quote I took from the otherwise short article that I found a bit interesting:

"Last year it introduced the Surge S1 chip in its Mi5C phone, indicating it may be looking to compete with Apple, Samsung and Huawei in making the crucial components on its own."

I think we could all benefit from that extra force of competition in this arena.

Linus and Luke have talked about this on the Wan show I think. USA doesn't want them on the market because they are a Chinese company and "they are spying for the Chinese government". If you ask me every big company has a backdoor in their system that big intelligence agencies know about and I don't care if they are from USA or China. If they want to get into my phone they'll find a way.

I'd love to have the Mi Max 2 if it had the right channels for the 4G  :)

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

Just now, DieselWeasel said:

Linus and Luke have talked about this on the Wan show I think. USA doesn't want them on the market because they are a Chinese company and "they are spying for the Chinese government". If you ask me every big company has a backdoor in their system that big intelligence agencies know about and I don't care if they are from USA or China. If they want to get into my phone they'll find a way.

Feels like US has gotten more draconian in terms of trade with rival states.

I think there is healthy paranoia, but at the end of the day I don't really care who knows what I do on the internet.

Hey, I'll take a Xiaomi phone over Apple any day! No jokes.

Xiaomi 4X > iPhone X for me. Even though the price difference is literally $1000.

25 minutes ago, DieselWeasel said:

that's for huawei not xiaomi but i guess it's all the same right... they all look the same.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

1 minute ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

that's for huawei not xiaomi but i guess it's all the same right... they all look the same.

Yeah I was asking myself that after I posted. Because Huawei is much bigger than Xiaomi (3rd in the world and 1st in China I think)

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

2 minutes ago, DieselWeasel said:

Yeah I was asking myself that after I posted. Because Huawei is much bigger than Xiaomi (3rd in the world and 1st in China I think)

i don't think they're 3rd. idk, they have big market in Europe too samsung loses to them there. but apple is big in china as well, xiaomi just clones that.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Might mean that while the US might kick and scream to disallow them from entering the rest of us in America might be able to get Xiaomi products more easily and that's neat.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This is nothing new, they've been saying this for years now. For all those who are saying it's because the US Government is afraid, that's not it at all; otherwise you wouldn't see Lenovo here, and LeEco wouldn't have made its attempt. You're incorrectly placing the Huawei decision obto every company, when that's simply not the case. Huawei isn't allowed on backend solutions in many countries including Canada, and the US is simply taking it one step further. It's doing that because Huawei is lately state backed, not simply because it's a Chinese owned company. You also have to factor in the name itself; people aren't going to buy something they have a hard time pronouncing. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You also have to factor in the name itself; people aren't going to buy something they have a hard time pronouncing. 

That's a big problem I see for them. Similar to what AdoredTV was saying about AMD not having great mindshare, Xiaomi is a name that doesn't really have that "household name" status in the west nor a name that rolls off the tounge. I think it would take some good marketing and regionalizing (I'm making up that word I guess). I'm no less excited to see what they come up with though.

1 hour ago, Okjoek said:

That's a big problem I see for them. Similar to what AdoredTV was saying about AMD not having great mindshare, Xiaomi is a name that doesn't really have that "household name" status in the west nor a name that rolls off the tounge. I think it would take some good marketing and regionalizing (I'm making up that word I guess). I'm no less excited to see what they come up with though.

Exactly. Not only that, but most people wouldn't even be able to begin to say the name; hardly any words start with X in the English language.

Really, I think the only hope they have is creating a small offshoot branch of their company with a more "US friendly" name. If they do that, I think they have an excellent chance, as a lot of their products are actually very nice, and quite cheap; though the cheapness would undoubtedly disappear with the great cost associated with US marketing.

To be honest, I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense for them to enter the US market.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Could the companies prevailing in the US such as Apple, Samsung have a hand at this? Because Xiaomi does offer almost all the features that the top end smartphones do, right down to the SD 835 chipset. But then again, Oneplus is allowed to sell the devices in the US and that one's also a chinese company, a child to Oppo.

2 minutes ago, Kumaresh said:

I have a Mi Max 2. Can guarantee that it's awesome :D The Indian government also had concerns about "Chinese spying", with Indian intelligence agencies specifying that key military players were disallowed from owning any Xiaomi phone.

My friend had the first one and I was thinking about getting the 2, but the 4G wouldn't work in my country so I decided to wait a bit. I'm waiting to see if the 3 will support more channels.

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

This is nothing new, they've been saying this for years now. For all those who are saying it's because the US Government is afraid, that's not it at all; otherwise you wouldn't see Lenovo here, and LeEco wouldn't have made its attempt. You're incorrectly placing the Huawei decision obto every company, when that's simply not the case. Huawei isn't allowed on backend solutions in many countries including Canada, and the US is simply taking it one step further. It's doing that because Huawei is lately state backed, not simply because it's a Chinese owned company. You also have to factor in the name itself; people aren't going to buy something they have a hard time pronouncing. 

Then explain to me how Hyundai got so big in the U.S.? 

18 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Hyundai is South Korean

3 minutes ago, DieselWeasel said:

Hyundai is South Korean

So what? My point is that despite its hard to pronounce name, Hyundai is selling well. 

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

It's phonetic. You can look at it, and know how to say it. It's not at all the same with Xaiomi.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I looked at the S9 and XZ2 threads... and then wondered why Xiaomi wants to even bother to break into the US market. People are bored with phones. They're all the same now, the only thing Xiaomi can bring is lower prices. I can see why we consumers should want them to break into the market, but not much reason a company that aspires to compete with Apple in the high dollar phone market. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

7 hours ago, Okjoek said:

"Wang Xiang"

thats the most stereotypical chinese name i have ever heard i think.... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I'm actually planning on getting a Xiaomi after i get tired of this Huawei P9 Lite. I'm not even planning on looking at Samsung or LG or whatever.

I have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and it's fantastic, hasn't faltered at all. I am a BIG fan of theirs since getting thsi phone last year, and bought some more of their stuff like the yeelights, wifi alexa/app controlled lights... these are handy for me as I can turn off my lights with my voice or on the app. I am disabled and at times getting out of bed to switch the lights off was VERY painful, and so it was a welcome relief to find these lights and so cheap too. I first heard of Xiaomi I think when they made the first slim TV with the soundbar doing all the heavy lifting with regards to processing etc, so basically a lot of the TVs internals were now in this soundbar housing.. and so on. Unfortunately couldn;'t get them here in the UK though.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

There should be a warrant signed by a judge to get your data.

But if you really want to be anonymous then a throw & go phone is in order.

9 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

Oh hell, now you did it.. gonna be super cereal triggerings now.

19 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

Oh hell, now you did it.. gonna be super cereal triggerings now.

xiaomi-mi-6.png.fd3deb6c06936b46070ac2e7fab035f9.pngteaser_share.jpg.06c1a5e71ff86cbdb9ed1c4d62ca638c.jpghonor.jpg.52b39f87396e3d2a8b87369e05bfc1d5.jpg

eh, he's right i guess

edit: threw in honor