Miners are stopping the search for alien life

Surely a facility like that would go to the newest Quadro's and/or Titan V's if they were to upgrade their GPU's?

Which aren't (I'm assuming for Titans as only Nvidia sell them and they're £3k, and who's gonna pay £7k for a quadro mining card?) affected by mining.

Sounds like some fake news to me.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Yeah sure, radio telescopes definitely need those consumer GTX1060s.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Surely a facility like that would go to the newest Quadro's and/or Titan V's if they were to upgrade their GPU's?

Which aren't (I'm assuming for Titans as only Nvidia sell them and they're £3k, and who's gonna pay £7k for a quadro mining card?) affected by mining.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yeah sure, radio telescopes definitely need those consumer GTX1060s.

Hi, here, enjoy this three year old Blog post about HERA receiving a Titan X to use in computations from nVidias GPU grant program.  More over, this not only shows that HERA uses consumer hardware but that nVidia is even GRANTING consumer hardware for academic purposes.

https://developer.nvidia.com/academic_gpu_seeding

From nVidia's own page, they are currently offering consumer Titan Xp's among other hardware as academic grants.

Looking at the prices they quoted for what they were going to buy, it looks like they were planning on buying a number of Vega56 cards. In their situation, they are buying cards based on compute power for rendering and performing calculations.

RkRiley is probably right, they should be buying the Radeon Pro stuff, or quadro. However, they have probably deemed that the extra expense for workstation class hardware just isn't worth it. Being funded as a University project, they can't just blow money on the pro stuff when the consumer hardware will do the job.

5 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

even if they found shit they would never tell us

Neil deGrass Tyson would tell his!

53 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Could have sworn a while back I saw a quad titan setup for mining

Shipping sucks

1 hour ago, RKRiley said:

With the budget space exploration and science in general is getting the past 20 or so years? They need to cut corners wherever they can. If they can save money by going consumer hardware that can be the difference between upgrading this year or a decade from now.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Good, they'd probably kill us.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

4 hours ago, Canada EH said:

they can afford to pay a premium if they really need them that much

I call BS on the news article!!

Money wasn't the big issue, they contacted vendors and they simply did not have the GPUs. Sometimes it just doesn't matter if you walk up with a bucket of cash, it won't get you what you want always.

Going by the article and using math they want to buy 64 GPUs, doesn't say which but we all know right now sourcing 64 of the same GPU from a single supplier is impossible.