Kim Dotcom: I'm suing NZ Govt for billions

Kim Dotcom: I'm suing NZ Govt for billions

The internet mogul Kim Dotcom is sueing for the police raid on his mansion. 

Source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=1197861

"Today, 6 years ago, the NZ Govt enabled the unlawful destruction of Megaupload and seizure of my global assets. I was arrested for the alleged online piracy of my users. Not even a crime in NZ. My lawyers have served a multi-billion dollar damages claim against the Govt today," he tweeted.

”In the 2012 raid Dotcom and three others were arrested in New Zealand on behalf of the FBI, which was carrying out a worldwide operation targeting his file-sharing business Megaupload, at the time consuming 4 per cent of the globe's internet traffic.”

- NZ Herald

My own opinion (and many other New Zealanders) opinion of this is quite strong. He needs to get extradited asap. He is full of bs, and there is definitely no merit to this lawsuit, as piracy is a crime here. Certainly do not like this guy sueing for taxpayers money. Hurry up and let the US take him. 

(Also apologies for the formatting i’m on mobile)

The funny thing, many other filehosters got taken down, sued etc without that much fuss. 

Kimble, like he was known in his early days, is a big showman... 

Well even though he isn't that much regarded in the IT scene, you have to give it to him, he knows how to turn shit to gold for some time at least... and sell things...

He's a little Trump in that way.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

No merit to the lawsuit?  Your own courts have decided multiple times the spying and raids were completely not legal

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

6 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

No merit to the lawsuit?  Your own courts have decided multiple times the spying and raids were completely not legal

Just because it’s illegal doesn’t mean it shouldn’t have been done. 

3 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Actually, that's exactly what illegal means (with the exception of legitimate life endangerment). 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

No one is above the law, if the law isn't right then the law needs to be changed, not applied inconsistently depending on who's asking. 

Whilst I have no respect for kim dot com, I do respect justice and what he got was not justice, I hope he wins and this ripples throughout the entire world reminding authorities not to bypass due process, that is how dictatorships start.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

No one is above the law, if the law isn't right then the law needs to be changed, not applied inconsistently depending on who's asking. 

Whilst I have no respect for kim dot com, I do respect justice and what he got was not justice, I hope he wins and this ripples throughout the entire world reminding authorities not to bypass due process, that is how dictatorships start.

At the end of the day, Kim broke the law and so his house got raided by the Police. The Police should be free to do their job. 

You don’t have to be afraid of anything like this if you don’t break the law in the first place. 

This lawsuit is rediculous on so many levels. Sueing the wrong government, and sueing the government just means taking it out of tax. 

Hes just making a big publicity stunt. If he didn’t pirate on that level then all this wouldn’t have happened. 

4 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Yea... no.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

9 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

At the end of the day, Kim broke the law and so his house got raided by the Police. The Police should be free to do their job. 

You don’t have to be afraid of anything like this if you don’t break the law in the first place. 

This lawsuit is rediculous on so many levels. Sueing the wrong government, and sueing the government just means taking it out of tax. 

Hes just making a big publicity stunt. If he didn’t pirate on that level then all this wouldn’t have happened. 

yeah,  no that's not how the law works,  Sorry but there is due process for a very good reason. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

yeah,  no that's not how the law works,  Sorry but there is due process for a very good reason. 

Well I guess we will have to see. The police here know what they are doing and I hope Kim will finally be extradited. Then he’s the US’s problem. 

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Well I guess we will have to see. The police here know what they are doing and I hope Kim will finally be extradited. Then he’s the US’s problem. 

There is nothing to see, the police obviously do not know what they are doing because they ballsed up the warrants in the first place.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10816121

http://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/dotcom-wins-right-to-sue-govt-spies-2013030712

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/128063/judge-describes-dotcom-case-as-a-procedural-mess

Nothing was right from teh beginning. 

18 minutes ago, mr moose said:

There is nothing to see, the police obviously do not know what they are doing because they ballsed up the warrants in the first place.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10816121

http://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/dotcom-wins-right-to-sue-govt-spies-2013030712

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/128063/judge-describes-dotcom-case-as-a-procedural-mess

Nothing was right from teh beginning. 

They still did the right thing and that’s what matters. I’m with the Police 100%.

Not that much of this will matter when he gets extradited. He’s obviously hiding more.

4 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

They still did the right thing and that’s what matters. I’m with the Police 100%.

Not that much of this will matter when he gets extradited. He’s obviously hiding more.

The right thing?  due process is their to ensure personal ideals do not impede justice.  Just because your ideals are bolstered by said activities does not make those activities any more legal/right and does nothing to address any guilt that may or may not be present in said case.  In case you missed it so far the only people found guilty of breaking any laws is the police and state spy agency.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

While I'm certainly ignorant about AU and NZ laws, I think there could be "probable cause" as to why the cops raided his house even without a warrant. But then that's just me speculating. ?

edit: I just looked it up and the NZ police can raid a house despite the lack of search warrants if:

Do the Police have the power to search me without a warrant?

The Police can search you or your belongings without a warrant if you have been arrested or taken into Police custody, or you are present when the Police are performing some types of search of your vehicle or home.

They also do not need a warrant to search you or your belongings if they have reasonable grounds to believe that:

• you have evidence relating to a serious offence (an offence which is punishable by 14 years or more imprisonment), or
  • that you have illegal drugs or an ingredient of illegal drugs, and the Police suspect that a drug offence has, is, or will be, committed with that substance. 

The Police can also search you or your belongings without a warrant if they have reasonable grounds to suspect that:

• you are unlawfully in possession of an offensive weapon (e.g. knives, firearms) or disabling substances (e.g. a drug used to render someone unconscious), or 
  • you have firearms when you shouldn’t - for example if you are breaching the Arms Act 1983, or have a physical or mental condition which stops you from being in proper control of firearms, or there is a protection order or police safety order against you.

Do the Police have the power to enter and search my home or vehicle without a warrant?

A number of laws, including the Search and Surveillance Act 2012, give Police the power to enter and search a place, a vehicle or other thing without a warrant. This can include entering your home.

Situations in which the Police can do this include:

• In an emergency - if they have reasonable grounds to suspect there’s a risk to the life or safety of a person, or if they suspect an offence is being committed that is likely to cause injury to a person or serious damage to property;  
  • To secure evidence relating to a serious offence (an offence punishable by a sentence of 14 years or more in prison) ie the Police believe a serious offence is being or is about to be committed and that evidence may be destroyed or damaged if they wait to get a warrant;
  • Someone is ‘unlawfully at large’ (i.e. has escaped from prison or from Police custody or there is an arrest warrant for them) and the Police believe they are in your home or vehicle;
  • To avoid losing an offender or evidence of an offence ie the Police believe that someone suspected of committing an offence is in your house or vehicle, and that they need to enter immediately to prevent the person from escaping or destroying evidence;
  • The Police have reason to suspect that someone in your house has firearms when they shouldn’t (e.g. they are breaching the Arms Act 1983, they have a physical or mental condition which stops them from being in proper control of them, or there is a  protection order or police safety order against them);
  • Drugs - if they have reasonable grounds for believing your property contains certain illegal drugs, and a drug offence is taking place or about to take place and it's not practical to get a warrant.
  • Emergency or urgent situations to do with national security - the Police can be authorised by the Director of the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service to act without a warrant to intercept or seize a communication, document, or thing that relates to terrorist activity.

http://www.cab.org.nz/vat/gl/roi/Pages/Searchwarrants.aspx#2

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

59 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

While I'm certainly ignorant about AU and NZ laws, I think there could be "probable cause" as to why the cops raided his house even without a warrant. But then that's just me speculating. ?

edit: I just looked it up and the NZ police can raid a house despite the lack of search warrants if:

http://www.cab.org.nz/vat/gl/roi/Pages/Searchwarrants.aspx#2

Aside the fact he does not fit into any of that criteria, an NZ judge has already ruled that the search warrant (they did have one) was too broad and did not contain enough reasoning to justify the seizure of property.   An NZ judge has also ruled that no one had the  authority to spy on him or tap his house, which is why he is allowed to sue them.  In other words the police and investigators both over stepped the power of the warrant they were issued and were spying on him without proper approval.

This is grouse misuse of power.  Such actions do not lead to a good place. 

7 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

confused-meme.jpg

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

If he didn’t pirate on that level then all this wouldn’t have happened. 

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

The police here know what they are doing

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

And this, kids, is why the world sucks: because we ask  for it.

Mega Upload's story is one of a business taken down mafia style, except it was done by a governments  (two, actually). No amount he wins in court will be enough punishment for the crooks involved, especially since they won't face consequences personally for it.

The guy may be whatever at a personal level, but at this point that's judging the victim.

14 minutes ago, Erik Sieghart said:

You mean the misappropriation of US government resources massively redirected to strong arm a civil dispute between a third party in another country who isn't even a US citizen on behalf of a corporate entity?

That right there is when everything started going wrong.  Even if we consider it to be a criminal case (as can be argued under NZ piracy laws), the onus to provide evidence is on the accuser. not for the government of another country to step in and forcible remove what "maybe" evidence.

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

confused-meme.jpg

And this, kids, is why the world sucks: because we ask  for it.

Mega Upload's story is one of a business taken down mafia style, except it was done by a governments  (two, actually). No amount he wins in court will be enough punishment for the crooks involved, especially since they won't face consequences personally for it.

The guy may be whatever at a personal level, but at this point that's judging the victim.

You don’t understand. He’s sueing the government. The current government is not the same one that sanctioned the operation. The only consequences that will happen to the ‘crooks’ (not that he’s actually sueing he people directly responsible as you said) is loss of taxpayer.

I know im pretty bias here (I’m a bit tired and I’ve definitely said a few things wrong, so take this with a large grain of salt) but there are just no winners to this. 

At at the end of the day, Megaupload has been taken down, Kim has lost so much and still faces extradition. People definitely do not like him here - and taking taxpayers money will further that. 

He has a lot to gain certainly, it’s a large amount he’s asking for and the courts in NZ are pretty fair. His siezed items did get very damage and he has gotten a lot of grief. I see where you guys are coming from and it’s pretty fair. 

Certainly however, in the public eye, he is a criminal. He was abusive to staff members, I recall his video editor and his blatant disregard for laws (his traffic conviction is also a large concern - this topic is very touchy here) is very much in the media here. His foray into politics with ‘The Internet Party’ didn’t help his PR one bit. 

Its completely fair to sue the governement, but in the eyes of the public here he just is very guilty. He’s got to live with that (which if he wins, he probably can) for the rest of his life. 

12 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Not even a crime in NZ

Its because they are corrupt p.o.s. and they know they can do anything they want to. It goes on all around the world, someone has a badge and they puff out their chest.

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

No one is above the law

Hahahahaha what a joke, of course people are above the law. I am getting really irritated now, I must ignore. This is exactly why I dont watch certain tv shows. What really gets me going, is when they pick on weak people, bums, poor people, that really riles me up big time and yet they let the richie riches slide. CRA did that with Zurich.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Its because they are corrupt p.o.s. and they know they can do anything they want to. It goes on all around the world, someone has a badge and they puff out their chest.

He was actually wrong it is a crime here. It’s a Twitter quote so there you go. There is notable corruption in government agencies here. 

44 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

You don’t understand. He’s sueing the government. The current government is not the same one that sanctioned the operation. The only consequences that will happen to the ‘crooks’ (not that he’s actually sueing he people directly responsible as you said) is loss of taxpayer.

I know im pretty bias here (I’m a bit tired and I’ve definitely said a few things wrong, so take this with a large grain of salt) but there are just no winners to this. 

At at the end of the day, Megaupload has been taken down, Kim has lost so much and still faces extradition. People definitely do not like him here - and taking taxpayers money will further that. 

He has a lot to gain certainly, it’s a large amount he’s asking for and the courts in NZ are pretty fair. His siezed items did get very damage and he has gotten a lot of grief. I see where you guys are coming from and it’s pretty fair. 

Certainly however, in the public eye, he is a criminal. He was abusive to staff members, I recall his video editor and his blatant disregard for laws (his traffic conviction is also a large concern - this topic is very touchy here) is very much in the media here. His foray into politics with ‘The Internet Party’ didn’t help his PR one bit. 

Its completely fair to sue the governement, but in the eyes of the public here he just is very guilty. He’s got to live with that (which if he wins, he probably can) for the rest of his life. 

12 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Hahahahaha what a joke, of course people are above the law. I am getting really irritated now, I must ignore. This is exactly why I dont watch certain tv shows. What really gets me going, is when they pick on weak people, bums, poor people, that really riles me up big time and yet they let the richie riches slide. CRA did that with Zurich.

As I said, I have no respect for the man, but at the end of the day if the authoritative bodies that run our countries can't be held accountable for the actions they sanction, then we head for a dictatorship.   It doesn't matter if it is a totally new set of politicians, the system is the same and that is what is being sued, if the people don't like it then they should consider very carefully who they put in charge at the next election an if they intend on changing the system or cleaning it up.

Just now, Canada EH said:

Humans are the problem.

Ego's run wild.

So your answer is to laugh at it and anyone who supports an ideal that strives to solve the problem?