M.2 SSDs - Can I use a Sata m.2 on an pcie m.2 socket

Krieger1200

Hello,

I recently bought a need notebook and I want to install a M.2 ssd. While looking for a M.2 ssd I noticed that there are all different kinds of m.2 ssd (sata, pcie and nvme). Right now I need help be finding the right ssd for my laptop.

[ Laptop: Asus FX553VD-DM603 (90NB0DW7-M08890) ]

Which M.2 ssd do I need like sata, pcie or nvme? and can I use for example a sata M.2 ssd on an device which requires pcie or nvme ssds?

I hope you guys can help me!

Almost all PCIe capable M.2 slots also are compatible with SATA drives. However, the easiest way to find out is just to contact Asus support and ask if the slot supports NVMe and SATA. They can tell you that.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

No it will not work.

If it is sata M.2 SSD it needs a sata M.2 slot.

If it is PCIe then it needs PCIe M.2 slot.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

No it will not work.

If it is sata M.2 SSD it needs a sata M.2 slot.

If it is PCIe then it needs PCIe M.2 slot.

that is not necessarily correct, many (and in fact most) NVMe capable slots also support SATA, so... not sure where that came from

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Your best bet is to contact asus. It definitely supports pcie M.2 ssds but I don't know if it supports sata ones as well.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Yup still compatible from SATA on PCIe (mostly currently most of user use NVMe). But be sure need to check the slot pin connector.

I guess this video from Techquikie title: M.2 As Fast As Possible might help (watch on minute 3:30)

Edited by Amy R

39 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

that is not necessarily correct, many (and in fact most) NVMe capable slots also support SATA, so... not sure where that came from

First of all, there is no such thing as an "NVME slot" it is either sata or PCIe or both.

Second, I said if it is a sata M.2 slot it will only work with a sata M.2 SSD, or same for PCIe.

There are cases where the slot is both sata and PCIe and will therefore obviously work with both kinds.

If the slot if only one kind, it will ONLY work with that same kind of M.2 SSD, no exceptions. Go do some research on M.2.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On 1/17/2018 at 9:29 AM, Enderman said:

First of all, there is no such thing as an "NVME slot" it is either sata or PCIe or both.

Second, I said if it is a sata M.2 slot it will only work with a sata M.2 SSD, or same for PCIe.

There are cases where the slot is both sata and PCIe and will therefore obviously work with both kinds.

If the slot if only one kind, it will ONLY work with that same kind of M.2 SSD, no exceptions. Go do some research on M.2.

• There is not such thing as a SATA slot either. It is an M.2 slot. Want to be a dick about semantics, fine. Let's do it right.
  • You said "No it will not work". Which you didn't have the information to claim. So you were actually just wrong.
  • You stating if a slot is wired exclusively for one type of bus that it will only work with drives of that type is about as useful as responding to the question "what kind of gas should I put in [insert car here]" with "Neither. you're screwed. Also, if it is diesel vehicle, diesel. if gasoline, gasoline."
    • Basically, you said something incorrect, then something pointless. Then when someone pointed that out in a non-aggressive manner just to help the OP figure out what to do, you got defensive and rude. So maybe don't do that.

6 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:
  • There is not such thing as a SATA slot either. It is an M.2 slot.

Sata is a bus standard which the M.2 slot uses.

A sata M.2 slot uses the sata bus over the M.2 connector.

I never said "sata slot" or "pcie slot", try reading my post again.

• You said "No it will not work". Which you didn't have the information to claim. So you were actually just wrong.

Go look at the title of this topic and then do some research on M.2.

A sata m.2 SSD will NOT work on a pcie m.2 slot.

It needs to be either sata m.2 or sata+pcie m.2 like I literally said three times.

• You stating if a slot is wired exclusively for one type of bus that it will only work with drives of that type is about as useful as responding to the question "what kind of gas should I put in [insert car here]" with "Neither. you're screwed. Also, if it is diesel vehicle, diesel. if gasoline, gasoline."

Yes and OP basically asked if he can put gasoline in a gas tank to which the answer is NO.

Did you even read the OP??

Spoiler