*leak* New storage device in DIMM formfactor

No automatic alt text available.

So my local SSD seller posted this picture with the caption: "Ultra rare, we may stop selling M.2 form factor SSDs in the future and change to SODIMM form factor SSDs"

Everything in the picture that can id this "thing" is blurred out, other than this is by Sandisk and was made in Malaysia. The module does not seem to have the characteristic curve in the middle of DDR4 DIMM.

Edit: This module capacity is 400GB

This is all I know, nagging the seller for more info

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

I'll pass. NVMe is already retarded fast, so fast in fact that it has no real benefit to the everyday consumer.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

dimm.2 slots exist too btw which is probably exactly what this is  this looks like some iteration of that

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Just now, hconverse02 said:

dimm.2 slots exist too btw which is probably exactly what this is

those are for m.2 expansion. pretty sure it's not interfaced with the Memory controller like the DIMM slots are.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

10 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

dimm.2 slots exist too btw which is probably exactly what this is  this looks like some iteration of that

nah no, DIMM.2 is just an interface for adapting M.2 to a DIMM form factor. This is AFAIK, DIMM slot SSD. Bugging the dealer for more info

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

It's not new. They're known as Solid State Modules.

Mechanically compatible with DDR3.

Your "local SSD seller" is talking balls tbh. Don't think they'll get any more.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

nope, was thinking about another thing, but this isnt anything we havent seen before. its just extremely expensive and server side only im pretty sure

Edited by Bananasplit_00
was thinking about another thing

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

You can tell your seller to take that thing and shove it far up his ass.

That thing is ancient. Here is a review on it.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6815/sandisk-ulltradimm-ddr3-400gb-ssd-enterprise-review/index.html

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

26 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Also why would we go from the nice small, compact size of M.2 2280 (or smaller) to the relatively large DIMM? Even SO-DIMM is larger in area than M.2 2280.

More area for NAND

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

With that logic, why don't we have modern mainstream 3.5" SSDs?

Because idiots are in charge of that decision.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

21 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

With that logic, why don't we have modern mainstream 3.5" SSDs?

i want those so badly , but nooooo everything must be tiny and expensive 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

I'll stick to 2,5 SATA3 SSDs.... thanks.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

A 3.5" SSD wouldn't be any cheaper.

but way bigger capacity 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

A 3.5" SSD wouldn't be any cheaper.

It might be. Only on controller, one casing, but the capacity of 4+ 2.5" SSDs.

13 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I'll stick to 2,5 SATA3 SSDs.... thanks.

I'd rather have a single 3.5" than multiple 2.5"

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

but way bigger capacity 

Not really though.  Most SSDs could PHYSICALLY fit more flash chips.  It's just not marketable to since the main cost if the chips themselves.  4GB 2.5" SSDs are already VERY expensive.  Cramming in more memory only makes them even MORE expensive.  This is why 3.5" SSDs are only seen in a narrow niche of enterprise products.

Like, when a 2.5" 4TB SSD is $1500, how many of you are going to line up to pay $3000 for a 3.5" 8TB SSD?

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Hm, a 4TB SSD, or a really good gaming rig?

yea but a larger one would be cheaper as they could use more of the cheaper smaller capacity flash , it would not be drastically cheaper , but id guess like 30% 

PSU Tier list

9 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

yea but a larger one would be cheaper as they could use more of the cheaper smaller capacity flash , it would not be drastically cheaper , but id guess like 30% 

Not really. The higher capacity drives are made up of multiple numbers of the flash chips. i.e., a 1TB SSD is made up of four times the number of chips used in the 250GB version. The 4TB version looks like it uses 500GB per chip (assuming it uses 8 chips), so sure, that's more costly. But the lower capacities ones? Not so much.

And even then, the sheer number of chips you need to make up the capacity would increase the chances of defects and/or failures.

One could ask also why we don't have 5.25" HDDs anymore. Surely with the insane amount of bit density we have now vs. the last 5.25" drives, we should be having 20TB drives.

1 hour ago, Đỗ Đức Huy said:

nah no, DIMM.2 is just an interface for adapting M.2 to a DIMM form factor. This is AFAIK, DIMM slot SSD. Bugging the dealer for more info

So then this does fit in the DIMM.2 slot directly. Just like you can have a SATA SSD or a SATA adapter board for M.2 or mSATA, this seems like a drive that would plug directly into DIMM.2 instead of needing the adapter board bundled by Asus.

9 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

smaller capacity chips are not neccesairely cheaper. there is a sweetspot for each manufacturing process and using less silicon too is also cheaper

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I seriously question that seller's product stock inventory if they mentioned that "SSD" is the future.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

29 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

One could ask also why we don't have 5.25" HDDs anymore. Surely with the insane amount of bit density we have now vs. the last 5.25" drives, we should be having 20TB drives.

Weight of the platters might just be too much for small motors at this point.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.