Spectre patch tested on the iPhone 6 - 40% DROP in both single and multi core performance

Djole123

iphone-6s-geekbench-battery-800x710.jpg

This seems to be in the same ballpark as the battery slow down issue. Probably the tester installed the update on battery such that it was drained, leading to a later slowdown when benchmarked. 

The update has been out for a while, if the performance loss was so great then people would notice , given that after the battery fiasco many people will be testing their phones to check for a slowdown.

yeah, I'm going to wait for more consistent testing form a few more sources before making a judgment.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, ScratchCat said:

iphone-6s-geekbench-battery-800x710.jpg

This seems to be in the same ballpark as the battery slow down issue. Probably the tester installed the update on battery such that it was drained, leading to a later slowdown when benchmarked. 

The update has been out for a while, if the performance loss was so great then people would notice , given that after the battery fiasco many people will be testing their phones to check for a slowdown.

That's not how that works. The battery slow down is caused by lower voltage than expected. Battery percentage is based on the amp hours left in the battery.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

2 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

That's not how that works. The battery slow down is caused by lower voltage than expected. Battery percentage is based on the amp hours left in the battery.

A lower battery charge will affect performance too. My 6s+ at 50% charge scores about 20% lower than when it's at 80%+.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

A lower battery charge will affect performance too. My 6s+ at 50% charge scores about 20% lower than when it's at 80%+.

That's different than what he was talking about. The battery slow down is due to voltage. Obviously the percentage is just normal everyday battery management.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

10 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

As a battery drains it slowly loses voltage, hence the slow down.

10 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

As the battery drains the performance is reduced, that is part of Apples battery management they introduced. As the battery discharges the peak current output decreases.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

As the battery drains the performance is reduced, that is part of Apples battery management they introduced. As the battery discharges the peak current output decreases.

The quote the voltage not being able to be supplied as the reason why you have maximum performance drop. With my old battery I had a performance maximum drop combined with the already in place performance management for daily use.

5 hours ago, GatioH said:

The fact that my iPhone 7 is a slug after the update really concerns me, It’s just over a year old...

3 hours ago, Whiskers said:

Not sure I trust the validity of this claim, at least not yet.

I just ran a Geekbench run on my iPhone 7 Plus, and scored a single core score of 3495 and multicore of 5923; within margin of error of my previous test results. I'm currently on iOS 11.2.5 beta 5, too.

No Issues on the iphone 7 Plus here either. Within margin of error on iPhone 7, 8, and X here.
The Reddit that brought this up, also has people with iPhone 6's not seeing any drops like that at all.

Dat massive 40% performance drop in action folks! Poor iPhone 6 :(

8YhGqq-ZTuOhdJtQ_Q_VHw.png

E5PYafC3TjKdIUxqTYrc6w.png

nCE6PPF-Qz603JWhupkSEA.png

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

12 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

As the volts gradually lower over the battery's runtime, more current needs to be drawn for regulation to maintain stable voltage. This in turn brings down voltage even further due to the sag from the additional current.

A battery meter based solely on amp hours would exhibit a faster drain toward the last portion of capacity.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

The quote the voltage not being able to be supplied as the reason why you have maximum performance drop. With my old battery I had a performance maximum drop combined with the already in place performance management for daily use.

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

As the volts gradually lower over the battery's runtime, more current needs to be drawn for regulation to maintain stable voltage. This in turn brings down voltage even further due to the sag from the additional current.

A battery meter based solely on amp hours would exhibit a faster drain toward the last portion of capacity.

Nice, beat me to it. Good explanation :)

37 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Edit: already explained, ignore.

The voltage of a battery can vary with current capacity. Most Lithium ion batteries have a charged voltage of 4.2V and a discharged state of 3.5-3.7V. 

Capacity does mean the remaining amp hours , however the terminal voltage does change over the capacity of battery.

(In this context capacity means current capacity from full)

Edited by ScratchCat

3 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Well, it isn't exactly BS. Intel is the company most affected and the company that has done the most shady things before, during and after. So to call it BS is more misleading than anything else.

Yes, pretty much any modern processor is vulnerable to Spectre to some degree. That's pretty clear. That doesn't detract from Intel being the biggest culprit in this case.

The most shady things? Do tell.

Chief contributor to the Linux and BSD kernels since it was informed, release of BIOS microcode patch component the day after public announcement, pretty quick diagnosis of their whole fleet of processors going clear back to the Pentium II...

The only thing you can remotely shake a stick at is Krzanich's share sale. Unfortunately for the tinfoil hat people, he signed an agreement to sell clear back in April, before Google informed Intel in June. So, if anyone's shady, it's the board of directors in this case, and they're not executives. They're the chief share holders for the company.

1 hour ago, Bit_Guardian said:

The most shady things? Do tell.

Chief contributor to the Linux and BSD kernels since it was informed, release of BIOS microcode patch component the day after public announcement, pretty quick diagnosis of their whole fleet of processors going clear back to the Pentium II...

The only thing you can remotely shake a stick at is Krzanich's share sale. Unfortunately for the tinfoil hat people, he signed an agreement to sell clear back in April, before Google informed Intel in June. So, if anyone's shady, it's the board of directors in this case, and they're not executives. They're the chief share holders for the company.

rPNCqww.jpg

7 hours ago, Alexzz_ said:

i didn't know iphones used intel cpu's i always assumed they just use some qualcomm or apple specific processor.

They do use an Apple designed CPU.

7 hours ago, tjcater said:

They don't, the spectre flaw effects a very wide range of processors. What you are thinking of is meltdown which was exclusive to intel.

Edit: well it seems that some processors outside of Intel were impacted.

6 hours ago, Alexzz_ said:

ah, that must be it, i forgot that there where multiple flaws and that only meltdown was intel specific.

Meltdown actually affects Apple as well.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208394

Meltdown is a name given to an exploitation technique known as CVE-2017-5754 or "rogue data cache load." The Meltdown technique can enable a user process to read kernel memory. Our analysis suggests that it has the most potential to be exploited. Apple released mitigations for Meltdown in iOS 11.2, macOS 10.13.2, and tvOS 11.2. watchOS did not require mitigation. Our testing with public benchmarks has shown that the changes in the December 2017 updates resulted in no measurable reduction in the performance of macOS and iOS as measured by the GeekBench 4 benchmark, or in common Web browsing benchmarks such as Speedometer, JetStream, and ARES-6.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, Valentyn said:

No Issues on the iphone 7 Plus here either. Within margin of error on iPhone 7, 8, and X here.
The Reddit that brought this up, also has people with iPhone 6's not seeing any drops like that at all.

Dat massive 40% performance drop in action folks! Poor iPhone 6 :(

8YhGqq-ZTuOhdJtQ_Q_VHw.png

E5PYafC3TjKdIUxqTYrc6w.png

nCE6PPF-Qz603JWhupkSEA.png

That's not how you do benchmarks...

11 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

That's not how you do benchmarks...

True but even with the improper testing method if there was 40% drop you'd see it as that's far greater than per unit performance variant.

6 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

FYI, you need both the windows update and BIOS update to be protected from meltdown/spectre, so people testing just the windows update will not see nearly as big a drop as people testing with the windows update + the BIOS update

Wait I thought you only needed to us are the bios for meltdown not specter? Maybe I am wrong but that's what I had thought others had said.

8 hours ago, Alexzz_ said:

i didn't know iphones used intel cpu's i always assumed they just use some qualcomm or apple specific processor.

Wut? 

D791B5CE-8153-4419-8B99-B3F3BBF5B3B9.gif.d0a7f4866edfab0091b9eaf9c8ae5aa3.gif

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

30 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Wait I thought you only needed to us are the bios for meltdown not specter? Maybe I am wrong but that's what I had thought others had said.

Microcode updates can fix one variant of Spectre outright, but apps still need to be recoded to defend against the other.

2 hours ago, Bit_Guardian said:

Microcode updates can fix one variant of Spectre outright, but apps still need to be recoded to defend against the other.

Unfortunately, one would have to rely on multiple app developers to acually code and issue the updates, some may not be keen on doing.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Unfortunately, one would have to rely on multiple app developers to acually code and issue the updates, some may not be keen on doing.

It didn't take long to get Clang and GCC updated. Lazy-ass development houses...

Actually it probably is difficult for big pieces of software just to assess where the boundaries are, so let's wait and see.

unlike x86 CPUs that laugh at ARM in performance (both math and logic), many apps have a bloated UI that makes use of the CPU. With geekbench scores much lower, for sure your UI responsiveness is going to be lower. For instance in many mobile apps, the UI itself has so much code to track your touch and activities of the phone itself (like networking).

So phones are going to be sluggish. If your phone uses a generic ARM CPU, the impact is not so bad, snapdragons with custom qualcomm chips will suffer a bigger performance hit than generic arm but will still perform better.than generic ARM.