Will GPU prices ever go down?

danielsuarez369

Like seriously, a GTX 1060(6GB) was $200 at launch and now are $350 at best. I really wanna build a PC by next Christmas(was gonna be this Christmas, but no way i'm gonna pay nearly double for a GPU)

And then rams doubling in prices, the fuck? 

2 minutes ago, danielsuarez369 said:

Like seriously, a GTX 1060(6GB) was $200 at launch and now are $350 at best. I really wanna build a PC by next Christmas(was gonna be this Christmas, but no way i'm gonna pay nearly double for a GPU)

And then rams doubling in prices, the fuck? 

By next christmas prices will be higher

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

The GPU prices are going to be really hard to guess on. People always say it's due to mining but they've been saying that for 6-8+ months now and there doesn't seem to be any signs of it letting up. Hopefully prices trend down once new GPUs come out this year but who knows, they could just keep going up :(

RAM is due to shortages and production problems and should hopefully see a reduction in price and more a return to normal in the next 6 to 12 months, depending on how things pan out.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

we had a dip in prices in november and december with the sales and what not, not sure what u waited for, they spiked again last 2 weeks.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

1 hour ago, xg32 said:

we had a dip in prices in november and december with the sales and what not, not sure what u waited for

I waited for a moment when I'll actually be paying MSPR not $150 more, and who knows how much more on ram sticks jeez 

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

Awww fuck me.. I don't really wanna just buy a graphics card and waste the warrenty waiting to have enough money to buy the rest of the components... fucking crypto miners 

6 minutes ago, xg32 said:

we had a dip in prices in november and december with the sales and what not, not sure what u waited for, they spiked again last 2 weeks.

Got my 1080 for $669 cdn at the end of November.  Looking at the prices now I'm glad I jumped on it.

Yes, the GTX 1080Ti will probably get a price drop in the year 2050.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

9 minutes ago, danielsuarez369 said:

I waited for a moment when I'll actually be paying MSPR not $150 more, and who knows how much more on ram sticks jeez 

Guessing pricing trends is literally impossible. You can't possibly know for certain when exactly the demand for certain cards go up and down and you can't possibly know when production will increase/decrease. Saying prices will be higher next year, next month, etc isn't necessarily wrong, but it's also not necessarily correct. Say the US outlaws cryptocurrency (or all currencies crash really hard and stay down), then literally, tens of thousands of graphics cards will hit the used market and prices will plummet. When new cards release, the MSRP tends to be higher than the previous generation MSRP. If Volta is really as good as people are speculating it to be, then while they are still available, 10-series cards might drop in price. As DDR4 manufacturers actually increase production like they've been saying, prices should go down. These are all just projections and nobody can know for certain. 

I bought my GTX 1080 for $500 USD in April :)

My brother and my buddy bought 16GB DDR4 last May (2016) for under $80.

7b2e00b505060a464c94c9be457619dd.png You can currently buy FE cards for MSRP from Nvidia

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

2 hours ago, Unimaginative Name said:

Guessing pricing trends is literally impossible. You can't possibly know for certain when exactly the demand for certain cards go up and down and you can't possibly know when production will increase/decrease. Saying prices will be higher next year, next month, etc isn't necessarily wrong, but it's also not necessarily correct. Say the US outlaws cryptocurrency (or all currencies crash really hard and stay down), then literally, tens of thousands of graphics cards will hit the used market and prices will plummet. When new cards release, the MSRP tends to be higher than the previous generation MSRP. If Volta is really as good as people are speculating it to be, then while they are still available, 10-series cards might drop in price. As DDR4 manufacturers actually increase production like they've been saying, prices should go down. These are all just projections and nobody can know for certain. 

7b2e00b505060a464c94c9be457619dd.png You can currently buy FE cards for MSRP from Nvidia

Those aren't the MSPR they were at launch... man this sucks.. I wonder could Nvdia just make their cards consume like 200watts more thefore they become useless for miners lol 

Just now, danielsuarez369 said:

Those aren't the MSPR they were at launch... man this sucks.. I wonder could Nvdia just make their cards consume like 200watts more thefore they become useless for miners lol 

They may not be the MSRP of launch, but realize that these are the lowest prices and they probably will not go down. Reset the MSRP in your head to these ones and convincing yourself to build becomes more bearable. Also, if you're gaming at 1080p and 60Hz, you probably only need the 1060 3GB

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

• 1 month later...

The funny thing is I purchased 2 evga 1070 ftw's pretty close to launch. I think I paid $415 each pre tax. So $830 pre tax for them both. I just turned around and sold them for 950 each for $1900 after a good bit of use.

I have now pocketed most of that money, but not before picking up a 1080ti ftw 3 for $819(pre tax) from evga's website. I turned around and tossed another 125ish at it for a water block.

So now I am sitting on a 1080ti ftw with a custom block for about $950 and still have another 950 of pure profit I might choose to invest in a second TI. THAT is how crazy the market is right now. Fortunately for me I have the patience to wait for these cards to come available on the manufacturer websites.

On 12-2-2018 at 7:26 PM, AngryBeaver said:

The funny thing is I purchased 2 evga 1070 ftw's pretty close to launch. I think I paid $415 each pre tax. So $830 pre tax for them both. I just turned around and sold them for 950 each for $1900 after a good bit of use.

I have now pocketed most of that money, but not before picking up a 1080ti ftw 3 for $819(pre tax) from evga's website. I turned around and tossed another 125ish at it for a water block.

So now I am sitting on a 1080ti ftw with a custom block for about $950 and still have another 950 of pure profit I might choose to invest in a second TI. THAT is how crazy the market is right now. Fortunately for me I have the patience to wait for these cards to come available on the manufacturer websites.

This is why this world is a messed up place. Gj doing the same and screwing people. Im not buying a thing anymore with this ridiculousness, those chips are allready worth crap anyway only a fool would buy em ... Esp at this moment. Keep on going and stay with ur beloved brands who are now raping all of us from behind for no reason! They are a bunch of thieves lol no thanks im not into that. They rather have 1200 instead of my 700 so now they get 0. *Looks at new product getting more expensive as it ages and allready is old tech now* what a world. Atleast Nvidia is pissed of at the retailers....who u all love....and piss on Nvidia.....is always the same 80% trash ppl u see everywhere online lol. 

Ps: um yes im angry

2 hours ago, Goildzy said:

This is why this world is a messed up place. Gj doing the same and screwing people. Im not buying a thing anymore with this ridiculousness, those chips are allready worth crap anyway only a fool would buy em ... Esp at this moment. Keep on going and stay with ur beloved brands who are now raping all of us from behind for no reason! They are a bunch of thieves lol no thanks im not into that. They rather have 1200 instead of my 700 so now they get 0. *Looks at new product getting more expensive as it ages and allready is old tech now* what a world. Atleast Nvidia is pissed of at the retailers....who u all love....and piss on Nvidia.....is always the same 80% trash ppl u see everywhere online lol. 

I doubt Nvidia is too upset at the retailers making them money.

3 hours ago, Goildzy said:

It isn't Nvidia or the manufacturers (except pny) that are marking up the prices. It is 100% the retailers. So you are pointing the blame at the wrong people.

That being said I am currently playing both sides of the field. I am a gamer and a miner. I sold my 1070's to miners for a HUGE profit and then turned around and upgraded my gaming rigs at a profit. I have my own model which is Nvidia = Gaming, Mining = AMD.

Also the cards are out there and you can still get them at close to MSRP if you are patient. Right now you can order a lot of cards at MSRP (for custom cards) from EVGA. Just select auto-notify. I normally get a set of emails about once a week that they have stock in. Then you just need to drop what you are doing and snatch them up.

If you have a microcenter that you have done lots of business with... normally if you talk to a manager they will also work with you. I know they have the whole "full build discount only" crap, but in my experience I have still landed cards after speaking with a manager and explaining I did lots of business there and that I would take them off his hands right now. I have acquired maybe 4-5 of my 580's from there... at about $279 each.

On 1/8/2018 at 11:18 PM, Unimaginative Name said:

When you follow these links/buttons you'll quickly see everything is always out of stock and the partner links will take you to places that you have visited before where the items are either out of stock or ludicrously priced. They are pointless links IMO.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

57 minutes ago, userzero said:

When you follow these links/buttons you'll quickly see everything is always out of stock and the partner links will take you to places that you have visited before where the items are either out of stock or ludicrously priced. They are pointless links IMO.

Do you see those big green buttons that say NOTIFY ME? If you click on those and put in your email... then you will get an email from them the instant they have some available in stock (happens about once or twice a week)... now sometimes this might only be 10 cards for that particular model, but if you for example have the emails come to your phone.. then you can immediately jump on and buy these cards when you get the notice.

That is how you score these cards. Nvidia has this option on their site, EVGA has this options and I am sure other manufacturers do too. These cards won't just fall in your lap, you will need to work for it.

Also OP if you are doing a full build and have a microcenter close by... they WILL give you  MSRP pricing if you are doing a complete build. It is one of the few ways other than mentioned above that you can make sure you are getting the best price.

Just buy one now or wait till some one has them instock for a price your willing to pay. Don't see  a problem with NVidias prices, given the ram shortage. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

19 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Do you see those big green buttons that say NOTIFY ME? If you click on those and put in your email... then you will get an email from them the instant they have some available in stock (happens about once or twice a week)... now sometimes this might only be 10 cards for that particular model, but if you for example have the emails come to your phone.. then you can immediately jump on and buy these cards when you get the notice.

That is how you score these cards. Nvidia has this option on their site, EVGA has this options and I am sure other manufacturers do too. These cards won't just fall in your lap, you will need to work for it.

Also OP if you are doing a full build and have a microcenter close by... they WILL give you  MSRP pricing if you are doing a complete build. It is one of the few ways other than mentioned above that you can make sure you are getting the best price.

Have you done this? I don't buy that at all. My engineer has been using the subscription email bollocks for a long long time and the links are always out of stock or the same old problems, it never changes. Soon as you get the green light.. they aren't available.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

Sounds too slow. Know quite a few peope that do it every time from a few sites. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:06 PM, Princess Cadence said:

You reckon it'll be higher? I won't be able to build PCs anymore and sudden depression will engulf me and eat myself inside out. I'm doomed to die this year then.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

34 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Sounds too slow. Know quite a few peope that do it every time from a few sites. 

A few sites? They can't be that lucky every time with the only way most people have being email lists ordering in the limit of 1-2,not 100 like mining farmers with direct connections to warehouses.

28 minutes ago, r3loAded said:

You reckon it'll be higher? I won't be able to build PCs anymore and sudden depression will engulf me and eat myself inside out. I'm doomed to die this year then.

If a GPU shortage happens with the next series of GPU's you could speculate higher prices because of GDDR6. I'd like to upgrade ram,but it's overpriced too.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

A few sites? They can't be that lucky every time with the only way most people have being email lists ordering in the limit of 1-2,not 100 like mining farmers with direct connections to warehouses.

If a GPU shortage happens with the next series of GPU's you could speculate higher prices because of GDDR6. I'd like to upgrade ram,but it's overpriced too.

They are that lucky every time as I have to see the posts all the time in our group chat. Isn’t to hard to get them that way but they also don’t have an issue going down the street to Microcenter and getting cards, as they are always in stock now. 

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

A few sites? They can't be that lucky every time with the only way most people have being email lists ordering in the limit of 1-2,not 50 like mining farmers with direct connections to warehouses.

At the moment I have in stock GPUs for 4 PCs. I got a GTX 1080, a GTX 980, a GTX 970 and a GTX 770 4GB. I am pretty confident in my negotiation skills but at some point they'll be useless as long I won't be able to find one at least for a decent price.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

5 minutes ago, r3loAded said:

At the moment I have in stock GPUs for 4 PCs. I got a GTX 1080, a GTX 980, a GTX 970 and a GTX 770 4GB. I am pretty confident in my negotiation skills but at some point they'll be useless as long I won't be able to find one at least for a decent price.

A 980 & 970 is still worth quite a bit if you can wait on Nvidia 2xxx i'd consider selling but more concerned of any even being available if they happen to be great for mining. Selling and wait wouldn't do me any good if i'm stuck on integrated graphics lol.

6 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

They are that lucky every time as I have to see the posts all the time in our group chat. Isn’t to hard to get them that way but they also don’t have an issue going down the street to Microcenter and getting cards, as they are always in stock now. 

Some really good luck,the moment I see EVGA has any they're already gone. Did Microcenter quit limiting cards to 2 or build your own desktop?