Custom mesh networking with ASUS

Asus is enabling mesh networking with many of their existing routers through “aimesh”.   Expand on your existing router or just go really high end.   Personally since im expecting to move into a bigger home in the near future now i can buy a  AC1900 that will be sufficient for my current home and not worry about coverage in the future.

Now we can mesh our big bad overkill gamer routers and have a hole nest of spiders!

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/03/asus-mesh-wifi-aimesh/

https://www.asus.com/AiMesh/

AiMesh is available as a free firmware update, which adds support for the protocol to your router. Currently, the ASUS RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC88U and the RT-AC3100 routers can handle the update,

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

I picture the invasion of those routers, like the headcrab from Half Life leaping on to their victim's face as they scream blarghhhh!!!!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Okay, so at which point do these routers start to make the investment make it worth the money?

29 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Okay, so at which point do these routers start to make the investment make it worth the money?

Well if you need a mesh network because your house is large then immediately.  I am purchasing the TM-AC1900 for $50 with the expectation of of needing at least 2.  Google mesh on the other hand is $100 per puck. 

https://slickdeals.net/f/11119759-asus-tm-ac1900-dual-band-gigabit-router-refurbished-48-free-s-h

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Wifi-system-set-replacement/dp/B01MAW2294

The real question is, do the mesh systems like google or Orbi have the same power, range, throughput, ect as dedicated routers.  Maybe its their simple design but they just don't look as powerful as a router with external antenna.  If I am right then you could have a bigger better mesh by connecting several highish end routers then by buying a more expensive mesh system.  

SIDE NOTE- Who does these companies graphics? if your using a routers wifi to act as the back bone and extend the range, then your extender needs to be in range of your base!  This would suggest that wifi based extensions only increase coverage area by  ~30% an even then your connection between them is at its limit.   So take the time and run the Ethernet backbone!

mesh.jpg.60c56e28d9a57e04e1afe5dfb5f8483e.jpg

back.jpg.7b25d1e9c3b04bb3d8756e09d8946ef1.jpg

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

51 minutes ago, ryanmmax said:

Well if you need a mesh network because your house is large then immediately.  I am purchasing the TM-AC1900 for $50 with the expectation of of needing at least 2.  Google mesh on the other hand is $100 per puck. 

https://slickdeals.net/f/11119759-asus-tm-ac1900-dual-band-gigabit-router-refurbished-48-free-s-h

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Wifi-system-set-replacement/dp/B01MAW2294

The real question is, do the mesh systems like google or Orbi have the same power, range, throughput, ect as dedicated routers.  Maybe its their simple design but they just don't look as powerful as a router with external antenna.  If I am right then you could have a bigger better mesh by connecting several highish end routers then by buying a more expensive mesh system.  

SIDE NOTE- Who does these companies graphics? if your using a routers wifi to act as the back bone and extend the range, then your extender needs to be in range of your base!  This would suggest that wifi based extensions only increase coverage area by  ~30% an even then your connection between them is at its limit.   So take the time and run the Ethernet backbone!

mesh.jpg.60c56e28d9a57e04e1afe5dfb5f8483e.jpg

back.jpg.7b25d1e9c3b04bb3d8756e09d8946ef1.jpg

Thank you so much.

10 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

I picture the invasion of those routers, like the headcrab from Half Life leaping on to their victim's face as they scream blarghhhh!!!!

Or like the alien grubs that came out of their eggs on the "Alien" films :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

12 hours ago, ryanmmax said:

“aimesh”

6127de4c35f50ec3e023bd7ad9d0c793--amish-

Details separate people.

I've had 2 Asus routers(AC66 and AC87) die on me with no warning so I'm done using any of their networking products.  Had a Linksys 1900ACS that needed to be completely hard-reset to assign IPs to new  clients after 2 months or so.  That router also had the shittiest UI layout I've ever seen.  When that happened a second time I switched to a Synology 2600 and holy fuck their tech support and product is business-class.

EDIT: To add to my rage, the AC66 died when I was in Boston on vacation.  I had to bother a coworker to check to make sure my house didn't burn down because nothing was online for me to be able to verify that it was still there (thermostant, ip cameras, servers, etc).

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

16 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I've had 2 Asus routers(AC66 and AC87) die on me with no warning so I'm done using any of their networking products.  Had a Linksys 1900ACS that needed to be completely hard-reset to assign IPs to new  clients after 2 months or so.  That router also had the shittiest UI layout I've ever seen.  When that happened a second time I switched to a Synology 2600 and holy fuck their tech support and product is business-class.

Linksys was by cisco and now it's belkin. My old linksys takes about 10-20 seconds to boot up, connect with the modem and be readly for internet. My new one AC1750, takes over 3 minutes to do the exact same thing. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

My problem with MESH WIFI networking is that to get good range, you need to place them pretty far apart, which will mean the signal between each Node is bad, which means the overall signal is bad.

Alternatively, to get a "good" signal, you have to place the nodes so close to each other that you don't get that much of a range boost.

However, if Ethernet backbone is not possible, it's certainly better than nothing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I can see it now....

"but why do I have one bar I right next to the AP" *little does he know he is still connected to the far end AP*.....god MESH is amazing right?

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

I can see it now....

"but why do I have one bar I right next to the AP" *little does he know he is still connected to the far end AP*.....god MESH is amazing right?

Well a properly designed MESH network should have seamless handoff. Though I doubt these cheap consumer solutions will.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Well a properly designed MESH network should have seamless handoff. Though I doubt these cheap consumer solutions will.

I doubt this has any AP controller worth a damn. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

I doubt this has any AP controller worth a damn. 

Entirely possible. Personally I wouldn't buy a consumer grade Mesh WIFI network to begin with.

Not until there are true prosumer options, with a proper controller that will do stuff like seamless handoff, anyway.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

with a proper controller that will do stuff like seamless handoff, anyway.

Honestly any device used in MESH or has MESH capabilities should be required to have seamless handoff or be required to have it to call it MESH

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Honestly any device used in MESH or has MESH capabilities should be required to have seamless handoff or be required to have it to call it MESH

I agree.

But is there any standard that exists to even enforce that? Because I'm guessing that WIFI manufacturers won't agree unless forced to :P

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I agree.

But is there any standard that exists to even enforce that? Because I'm guessing that WIFI manufacturers won't agree unless forced to :P

Nope def nothing to enforce it, unless it becomes a 802.x standard. 

It would make my job a hell of a lot easier for sure lol

5 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

I can see it now....

Seamless, Pain-Free WiFi

AiMesh can create a single, house-wide network name so there’s no need to constantly switch between networks as you roam around your home. AiMesh keeps an eye on the signal strength to your device, and switches it seamlessly to another source if necessary. All you have to do is enjoy it! If you prefer separate network names for each frequency band, you can do that as well — AiMesh is designed to work the way you want!

Now i guess you can "predict" that it wont do a good job of monitoring signal strength or that the hand off will be clunky...  Unless you are sprinting around your house while streaming to your phone its not like the router even has to refresh its signal strength that frequently, what once every second or two, on a 1GHz processor? 

These ASUS units are designated to be overkill both on signal strength with external antenna and processing power for the nerdy gamer because they have to do everything from a single location.  In contrast the Orbi/google mesh networks are designed to rely on a network to achieve coverage so they don't need to worry about signal strength, and as for processing power they don't talk about it because its not its target audience.  

There difference between something engineered and something built to work.  The Mesh Networks are engineered to do a specific job and thats it no more no less.  The ASUS system is being built to work, through a lot of overbuilt power at the problem and be done with it.   Both can do the job, but if you engineer a Prius don't expect to beat some over modded civic in a race.

23 hours ago, Thermosman said:

It's the apocalypse, the spiders are coming!

Image result for asus spider router

Image result for patrick star spiders gif

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, ryanmmax said:

Now i guess you can "predict" that it wont do a good job of monitoring signal strength or that the hand off will be clunky...  Unless you are sprinting around your house while streaming to your phone its not like the router even has to refresh its signal strength that frequently, what once every second or two, on a 1GHz processor? 

These ASUS units are designated to be overkill both on signal strength with external antenna and processing power for the nerdy gamer because they have to do everything from a single location.  In contrast the Orbi/google mesh networks are designed to rely on a network to achieve coverage so they don't need to worry about signal strength, and as for processing power they don't talk about it because its not its target audience.  

There difference between something engineered and something built to work.  The Mesh Networks are engineered to do a specific job and thats it no more no less.  The ASUS system is being built to work, through a lot of overbuilt power at the problem and be done with it.   Both can do the job, but if you engineer a Prius don't expect to beat some over modded civic in a race.

There are a lot of MESH routers that advertise the same thing. Yeah ASUS might make them over kill but its still going to suck ass. Refreshing is not a problem, hell mikrotik haplites refresh twice per second and are 400mhz for $19.95. CPU barely hits 1-2% doing so. Processing power is not the problem here. 

On 1/6/2018 at 5:37 PM, r3d3mpt10n said:

Mikrotik Router + multiple Ubiquiti AC Lites with cabled connections to router. Simple and very effective

Why mix Mikrotik router with Ubquiti AP's? Why not choose Mikrotik AP's, or a Ubiquiti Edge router, and keep everything seamless with the same manufacturer?