i7 8700, i7 7700k, Ryzen 7 1700 or 1700x for productivity?

I'm a new PC Builder and I need some suggestions on my PC Specs. I've been hunting for either i7 or Ryzen. I'm confused on which should I buy? Its either R7 1700/1700x, i7 8700(Non-K) or 7700k. The graphics card I will use will be either 1060 or rx 580. I'm mostly going to use it for rendering( SketchUp, V-Ray, Lumion, AutoCad, CInema 4d, etc.) I am also considering the budget for my motherboard since the coffee lake is only available with the flagship z370. Which should I buy? Which is the most future proof? Is the 8700 worth the motherboard price? or should I just go with Ryzen?

i7 8700 and Ryzen 7 1700x are your options here, some of your software will benefit more from the stronger single thread performance of the i7 8700... not sure if enough for the price gap.... multi-tasking wise the Ryzen 7 1700x is a bit better.. it does have 2c/4t extra but not by much since the stronger cores on the i7 makes up for it.

I would personally go with the i7 8700 because it is over all a better CPU but it does have its premium cost... good thing about it is that just about any motherboard suffices since it is a locked chip... you could make like me a cute micro-atx cheap i7 8700 system, throw a 212X in there for silent cooling and you're golden.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

i7 8700 and Ryzen 7 1700x are your options here, some of your software will benefit more from the stronger single thread performance of the i7 8700... not sure if enough for the price gap.... multi-tasking wise the Ryzen 7 1700x is a bit better.. it does have 2c/4t extra but not by much since the stronger cores on the i7 makes up for it.

I would personally go with the i7 8700 because it is over all a better CPU but it does have its premium cost... good thing about it is that just about any motherboard suffices since it is a locked chip... you could make like me a cute micro-atx cheap i7 8700 system, throw a 212X in there for silent cooling and you're golden.

If I choose the 8700, should I go with 1060 or rx 580?

Ryzen 7 1700 is the best bang for your buck, 2nd Gen Ryzen processors are rumoured to use the same socket and can have up to 12 cores and 24 threads. The i7 8700 is a great option, but currently those processors are still in limited supply. For your GPU, I'd go with the GTX 1060 6GB since it's hard for me where I live to find RX 580/570s.

Just now, putu_aditya14 said:

The 1060 because nVidia is much better on the hardware acceleration scenario (CUDA Acceleration) than AMD which is more fit for a raw math computing like mining.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, putu_aditya14 said:

If you choose either processors, I'd go with the 1060. Also, don't be fooled by overpriced graphic cards that advertise better overclocking, just get the cheapest 6GB (or 3GB if that isn't your specific work use) that is available and overclock it yourself if you want. (You probably won't need to.)

1 minute ago, IsaacThePooper said:

2nd Gen Ryzen processors are rumoured to use the same socket and can have up to 12 cores and 24 threads.

Try again ;)

Personal Desktop":

Ryzen 7 1700 is the best bang for your buck, 2nd Gen Ryzen processors are rumoured to use the same socket and can have up to 12 cores and 24 threads. The i7 8700 is a great option, but currently those processors are still in limited supply. For your GPU, I'd go with the GTX 1060 6GB since it's hard for me where I live to find RX 580/570s.

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

The 1060 because nVidia is much better on the hardware acceleration scenario (CUDA Acceleration) than AMD which is more fit for a raw math computing like mining.

Just now, IsaacThePooper said:

If you choose either processors, I'd go with the 1060. Also, don't be fooled by overpriced graphic cards that advertise better overclocking, just get the cheapest 6GB (or 3GB if that isn't your specific work use) that is available and overclock it yourself if you want. (You probably won't need to.)

Thank you so much guys. It really helped :)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Try again ;)

Seriously? Oh well, I think they'll still be better with the smaller process size and having the same compatiblility with the AM4 socket is nice, unlike Intel locking all coffee-lake processors to Z370 boards while still using the LGA 1151 socket. I know, they did it for power reasons but there have been a few people that have been able to hack Z270 boards to run on those processors with some insane hax lol.

I'd probably get the 1700 and a decent B350 motherboard and cooler over the 8700, your applications sound like they would use more threads better than stronger ones

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I'd probably get the 1700 and a decent B350 motherboard and cooler over the 8700, your applications sound like they would use more threads better than stronger ones

I'm afraid that the 1700 isn't as future-proof as the coffee lake. But it seems that both sides(Intel and AMD) is doing a good job by making me confused on choosing their processors again

the am4 platform is much better if you upgrade often (support until 2019 confirmed ), new cpus will also arrive soon (february- early march) with what is expected to be 10% higher clocks (according to global-foundries).

so if you are not in a hurry it might be a chance to get a  good value

6 minutes ago, putu_aditya14 said:

I'm afraid that the 1700 isn't as future-proof as the coffee lake. But it seems that both sides(Intel and AMD) is doing a good job by making me confused on choosing their processors again

If anything, intel has been the opposite of future-proof. An i7 2700k is just a little slower than a 7700k. They both use 4 cores and 8 threads with overclocking while forcing the customers to buy new motherboards. I see AMD doing legit and substantial upgrades for each new generation while still using the same AM4 motherboard, until 2020. 

If anything, intel has been the opposite of future-proof. An i7 2700k is just a little slower than a 7700k. They both use 4 cores and 8 threads with overclocking while forcing the customers to buy new motherboards. I see AMD doing legit and substantial upgrades for each new generation while still using the same AM4 motherboard, until 2020. 

So buying a 2600k wasn't future proof how? 

11 minutes ago, putu_aditya14 said:

Well AMD have confirmed that they will be using the AM4 socket until 2020, so you probably won't need to swap platform for a few years at least, and can most likely just update the BIOS and drop in a new chip if they are a lot better and you feel that it's worth the money :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

the am4 platform is much better if you upgrade often (support until 2019 confirmed )

I'm sorry but I'll never understand this logic, lock yourself to outdated motherboard to have minimal performance increases as you have to keep socket and chipset compatibility has never worked, we have AMD's past entire FX line up as proof to that... replacing a motherboard is so cheap if you have a justification to upgrade and you get to the latest technology for real.

2 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

If anything, intel has been the opposite of future-proof

So providing CPUs that are so good enough already that competition takes years to beat it and it still has decent performance facing the newest stuff is not "future proof"? what? Just watch this video:

Ryzen is considerable weaker than Coffee Lake, it just doesn't show up now, but buying Coffee Lake you're having a more powerful CPU that will remain up to date for longer...

So you have 2 alternatives, buy a bad CPU now but hey at least your motherboard will support a slightly better CPU here in 2 years, or buy a better CPU today already which will remain good enough for the 2~3 years just the same and later you just upgrade every thing altogether... save 120~150 dollars in a motherboard in a 2~3 years period is rather negligible to me

Personal Desktop":

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I'm sorry but I'll never understand this logic, lock yourself to outdated motherboard to have minimal performance increases as you have to keep socket and chipset compatibility has never worked, we have AMD's past entire FX line up as proof to that... replacing a motherboard is so cheap if you have a justification to upgrade and you get to the latest technology for real.

So providing CPUs that are so good enough already that competition takes years to beat it and it still has decent performance facing the newest stuff is not "future proof"? what? Just watch this video:

Ryzen is considerable weaker than Coffee Lake, it just doesn't show up now, but buying Coffee Lake you're having a more powerful CPU that will remain up to date for longer...

So you have 2 alternatives, buy a bad CPU now but hey at least your motherboard will support a slightly better CPU here in 2 years, or buy a better CPU today already which will remain good enough for the 2~3 years just the same and later you just upgrade every thing altogether... save 120~150 dollars in a motherboard in a 2~3 years period is rather negligible to me

ryzen is an soc, meaning there isnt much at all that is motherboard dependent, and unless some crazy new tech appears there isn't much at all that would make a motherboard "outdated", ryzen+ is an incremental upgrade sure, but the same cant be said for ryzen 2. 

and games is the only place where ryzen is a bit behind, and 1080p tests with titan cards are only useful for high fps gaming, its not representative of future performance and neither it is of productivity performance.

right now ryzen is cheaper in the short term and also long term.

my advice, (if you can of course) wait for ryzen+ to be launched and decide then (extra clocks will probably make ryzen the better choice )

My point is, if you buy an i7 8700 you will have something that will remain ahead or at least on pair with a Ryzen 2, so you buying a Ryzen now is having less performance for 2 years for then buy something that will even up with what you could have had for the past 2 years already, if you're keen to be in bleeding edge then by this time you can already move on to a new Intel platform and again stay quite ahead of Ryzen 2.

Price wise you gonna have to spend on a new AMD CPU what you'll have to spend in a new Intel mobo all the same... costs even up.

So to me personally say AMD is more future proof because it'll recycle the motherboard is really just a myth, then again different views of the subject here, doesn't have to mean any one is right or wrong, depends on OP above all things.

Also Coffee Lake is considerable upfront in more than just games, go check Photoshop benchmarks for instance, the i7 8700 is up to 35% faster than the Ryzen 7 1700x, there's plenty of software that still favours Single Thread Performance where Intel is still king.

Personal Desktop":

If you need horse power and budget isn't a problem I don't see why you even list AMD parts

I mean, if you have budget for coffee lake, I personally would hunt for older platform like x99, and use Xeon, because obviously you want productivity.

Ryzen is great for all around computer, not too expensive for productivity, and yet very capable to gaming, not necessarily the best option, but for the price it is great option.

Instead focusing on which hardwares you want to pick, why not narrowing it down to what softwares/application you are going to use and what is the best platform for it.

1 hour ago, putu_aditya14 said:

( SketchUp, V-Ray, Lumion, AutoCad, CInema 4d, etc.) I

Did some research since I havent heard of some of these

Sketchup and Vray dont need anything special

Cinema 4D didnt have recoomended specs but min specs could run on basically anything. 

AutoCAD does love CUDA cores as the Pony in Pink pointed out

Lumion was the interesting one...

CPU: As high a GHz value as possible, ideally 4.0+ GHz. A lower GHz value may act as a bottleneck for fast graphics cards such as the Nvidia GTX 1080 and Nvidia Titan X (Pascal). More CPU cores than 4 will not make a difference. CPUs such as the i7-4790K, the i7-6700K or the i7-7700K with 4.0+ GHz are good choices. Xeon CPUs with GHz values lower than 3.4 GHz are not recommended.

Source

They also recommend a 1060 GPU for their "fairly demanding" workstation setup. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 hours ago, putu_aditya14 said:

I'm a new PC Builder and I need some suggestions on my PC Specs. I've been hunting for either i7 or Ryzen. I'm confused on which should I buy? Its either R7 1700/1700x, i7 8700(Non-K) or 7700k. The graphics card I will use will be either 1060 or rx 580. I'm mostly going to use it for rendering( SketchUp, V-Ray, Lumion, AutoCad, CInema 4d, etc.) I am also considering the budget for my motherboard since the coffee lake is only available with the flagship z370. Which should I buy? Which is the most future proof? Is the 8700 worth the motherboard price? or should I just go with Ryzen?

DON'T BUY INTEL RIGHT NOW!

There is a serious hardware bug in Intel CPUs of the last couple of years that let you access Kernel space.

Seems that every CPU since westmere could have this bug...

Here more information:

https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=11592191#post11592191

@Princess Cadence FYI; you should also mention this security issue, since now you are in the know...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

10 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

@Princess Cadence FYI; you should also mention this security issue, since now you are in the know...

Are you for real?

Personal Desktop":

13 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

DON'T BUY INTEL RIGHT NOW!

There is a serious hardware bug in Intel CPUs of the last couple of years that let you access Kernel space.

Seems that every CPU since westmere could have this bug...

Here more information:

https://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=11592191#post11592191

I doubt it's true. Even if it is, it probably won't affect regular users. Back to the topic, if you want the best single core performance and play games on a 120hz+ monitor, then go with the Intel. You'll be paying a price premium though so keep that in mind. Else go with Ryzen. You can't go wrong with either, they're both very good CPU's. Good luck and happy building! 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

14 minutes ago, Kaita said:

I doubt it's true.

Because its Intel?
Or why do you think its not true?!

With AMD everybody would jump on this shit...

Even if it is, it probably won't affect regular users.

Because its Intel or what do you mean?!
Again we are talking about code excecution in the Kernelspace without the rights!

The Article about this stuff is behind a paywall right now...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"