34c3: Homebrew launcher for the Switch coming soon

suicidalfranco

During hacker conference 34C3 held in Germany past week, hackers Plutoo, Dereck and Naehrwert have confirmed that soon an homebrew launcher would be available for Nintendo's hybrid console. This group claims that big N worked really hard on the security front of it's console this time but all was for nought due the now well know and documented Tegra X1 chip that powers it.

Obviously the target is only to be able to run homebrew software but as we all know, this will eventually lead to piracy in some way, shape or form.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Piracy? Emulation is still hit or miss especially for Switch titles.

But I expect Nintendo will go batshit crazy hearing about people making their product better

I really wish someone with an ounce of sanity would get control of Nintendo.

I honestly think the right person, telling the board of directors to sit down and shut up, and someone whipping Miyamoto every time he tries to make something stupid, and they could put Sony and M$ almost out of business.

Basically, try to make games look better, make them for PC and stop making your own fucking hardware because that's stupid.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

7 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Piracy? Emulation is still hit or miss especially for Switch titles.

But I expect Nintendo will go batshit crazy hearing about people making their product better

piracy as in running backed up games on the switch, not switch emulation on PC.

In other news: New version of CEMU now supports multicore and can run BotW at 60 fps constantly. 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

piracy as in running backed up games on the switch, not switch emulation on PC.

In other news: New version of CEMU now supports multicore and can run BotW at 60 fps constantly. 

So it now runs better on PC than on its native console?

HAH.

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

HAH.

unbelievable, i know. Also does it at 4k

7 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

HAH.

Yes. I have heard that u can run the game at above 1080p resolutions at (or maybe or) 100 fps. 

16 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I honestly think the right person, telling the board of directors to sit down and shut up, and someone whipping Miyamoto every time he tries to make something stupid, and they could put Sony and M$ almost out of business.

Basically, try to make games look better, make them for PC and stop making your own fucking hardware because that's stupid.

There are pros and cons to everything. I do agree they are falling behind with the times when it comes to multiplayer stuff but its going down that route with the switch. You can see that clearly.

Now as for "sanity" that you mention, i'm just glad my Nintendo exclusives aren't plagued with pay2win loot boxes.

6 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

There are pros and cons to everything. I do agree they are falling behind with the times when it comes to multiplayer stuff but its going down that route with the switch. You can see that clearly.

Now as for "sanity" that you mention, i'm just glad my Nintendo exclusives aren't plagued with pay2win loot boxes.

I just want a remake of OoT, with Skyrim or better level graphics.

And no I don't want Skyrim with an OoT skin. I want OoT but with high end modded skyrim level graphics, and loads more to do. Side quests and shit like you get with a game the size of Skyrim.

I also want it to not be rated E or whatever.

53 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

i'm just glad my Nintendo exclusives aren't plagued with pay2win loot boxes.

Oh ho ho, just give it some time! There was a time the Nintendo fanboys were celebrating free online and no paid DLC too.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Considering Nintendo doesn't take losses on hardware and they have multiple million+ selling games for the Switch already I'd say the only thing stupid would be to take your suggestion. The Switch is on pace to match, or beat, the PS4's first year and that's while they had several months of stock shortages. Nintendo expects to sell over 20 million systems in their next fiscal year. I'd say they're doing pretty damn good, a lot better than they'd do on the PC.

HAH.

Yes, like every single other emulator out there that isn't trying to be a 1:1 recreation of the console experience. Every single fully supported PS2 game runs better in PCSX2 then it ever did on the system itself. Of course it also takes a computer many, many, times stronger than the original system. The video showing BOTW running at 4K/60 was on a system with 32GB of RAM, a 8700K OC'd to 5Ghz, and a 1080 ti. Apparently even a 1070 struggles to maintain 40-60fps at 1080p right now and CEMU needs a good CPU.

9 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Considering Nintendo doesn't take losses on hardware and they have multiple million+ selling games for the Switch already I'd say the only thing stupid would be to take your suggestion. The Switch is on pace to match, or beat, the PS4's first year and that's while they had several months of stock shortages. Nintendo expects to sell over 20 million systems in their next fiscal year. I'd say they're doing pretty damn good, a lot better than they'd do on the PC.

Yes, like every single other emulator out there that isn't trying to be a 1:1 recreation of the console experience. Every single fully supported PS2 game runs better in PCSX2 then it ever did on the system itself. Of course it also takes a computer many, many, times stronger than the original system. The video showing BOTW running at 4K/60 was on a system with 32GB of RAM, a 8700K OC'd to 5Ghz, and a 1080 ti. Apparently even a 1070 struggles to maintain 40-60fps at 1080p right now and CEMU needs a good CPU.

It was single core so technically a 7350k was better then a 7700k.

8 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

It was single core so technically a 7350k was better then a 7700k.

The video was for 1.11.3, which has multithreaded emulation.

Yeah you can't put Microsoft or Sony out of business by beating them in the console market as they both have many other products that make quite a bit of money.

1 hour ago, Derangel said:

I have the same system except 7700k instead of 8700k. All water cooled.

I should give that emulator a try.

54 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah you can't put Microsoft or Sony out of business by beating them in the console market as they both have many other products that make quite a bit of money.

Mainly talking about the gaming industry. I suppose I should have said "put them out of the market" instead of "out of business".

4 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

I actually don't consider the low multiplayer online as a con since the system does great as a local co-op drop in and out which Nintendo kept going with since a very long time.  Then again, people expecting high end graphics out of portable device have way to high expectations for a small gaming device.  Myself, I am a bit impressed of what the little stinker even manages considering its size.

On emulation, that gets into a grey area that tends to fall at times into piracy.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, Ithanul said:

Indeed, a lot of people expect too much out of the switch considering it was designed during the maxwell era of graphics.

Now, if nintendo does a refresh with the pascal (unlikely), it will be a beast that can handle a lot of the triple A games out there.

I personally don't care if they can run witcher 3 on the switch because that's not what i buy nintendo for. It's Mario and Pokemon.

22 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Indeed, a lot of people expect too much out of the switch considering it was designed during the maxwell era of graphics.

Now, if nintendo does a refresh with the pascal (unlikely), it will be a beast that can handle a lot of the triple A games out there.

I personally don't care if they can run witcher 3 on the switch because that's not what i buy nintendo for. It's Mario and Pokemon.

Considering how Nintendo likes to refresh their portable line, maybe a refresh for the Switch will occur.

As long as the Switch keeps getting games like Disgaea 5 Complete, I be happy as a lark.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU