Man dies in a "swatting" prank

XenosTech
3 minutes ago, Noctus said:

I'd like to know how exactly did he get shot. If he answered the door and they just went PEW PEW, imo that's the fault of the law enforcement.... if not, i'd like details of the exact scenario he got full of holes.

note: I do agree swatting is retarded.

What probably happened is the ran right up to the door, swung it open and answered having no clue what was going on. To an officer, this would look like a charge. Especially when the officer is expecting to have to break into an armed hostage scenario.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I think they're both in the "intentional" camp. One attempted to perform a lethal offense while the target used a scapegoat via his neighbor. Picking up the phone, dialing 911 (or whatever phone number), and then giving an address should give PLENTY of time to think things through. 

Alright, yeah, I think both will receive charges for the personslaughter1 of this dude in Kansas but it may take a while since it's a bit of a complex case. It seems like the kind of case that you'd read on a story starring Sherlock Holmes or his less known colleague Auguste Dupin. In these kinds of stories you would get clues that point the case in a couple different directions, but in the end there's always a twist like say, suspect A wanted to swat suspect B, but suspect B gave the address of a neighbour.

Just now, RagnarokDel said:

cops should be charged for murder, prankster should be charged with secondary murder.

I don't think the cop is a murderer. It sucks that this is how it is, but really the cop responded to a hostage call and had to execute orders according to the protocol. He might receive a charge for manslaughter. I am not a lawyer though.

Just now, Unimaginative Name said:

What probably happened is the ran right up to the door, swung it open and answered having no clue what was going on. To an officer, this would look like a charge. Especially when the officer is expecting to have to break into an armed hostage scenario.

That's just a theory

Spoiler

A crime theory

I will see myself out now :ph34r:

1 I'm all in on gender neutrality AND footnotes and ain't no thing you can do about it! #superscriptisabovesubscriptliterallyandfigurativelyaswell

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I don’t know the details but the cop made the ultimate decision to end his life.. for seemingly no reason other than answering the door 

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I don't think the cop is a murderer. It sucks that this is how it is, but really the cop responded to a hostage call and had to execute orders according to the protocol. He might receive a charge for manslaughter. I am not a lawyer though.

That's just a theory

I think the bottom line is we don't know enough about what happened. Hopefully, a bodycam *gasp* or a dashcam might be able to catch something, but they won't be released until an internal investigation is over or charges are filed.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Just now, Unimaginative Name said:

I think the bottom line is we don't know enough about what happened. Hopefully, a bodycam *gasp* or a dashcam might be able to catch something, but they won't be released until an internal investigation is over or charges are filed.

Yeah, that's probably how it's gonna go. Maybe footage will be released weeks from now, we probably won't find out because the internet can't ever follow an event for more than a week :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

we probably won't find out because the internet can't ever follow an event for more than a week :P

Unless it's about Kardashian's butt. 

I don't know the spelling and won't be Binging it. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Unless it's about Kardashian's butt. 

I don't know the spelling and won't be Binging it. 

Is Binging the new hip thing to say?

Cuz the only thing I binge on is beer

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, Energycore said:

Is Binging the new hip thing to say?

Bing is the best search engine... 

Get triggered.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

26 minutes ago, Noctus said:

I'd like to know how exactly did he get shot. If he answered the door and they just went PEW PEW, imo that's the fault of the law enforcement.... if not, i'd like details of the exact scenario he got full of holes.

note: I do agree swatting is retarded.

In the article's source, they released the body cam footage. (Video is on the top of article)

Edited by Guest
Derped, its a body cam, not a dash cam

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Bing is the best search engine... 

Get triggered.

Nah I'm not so easily triggered. I browse LTT not reddit

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

this is really depressing 

like it was 1.50$

This is why parents don't want there kids playing toxic and this gives people who say Video games make you dangerous more ammo.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

40 minutes ago, Energycore said:

If the guy was unarmed, absolutely he should be charged for murder.

They need to make "Swatting" a Federal Crime. Put it under Terrorism so that assholes who commit it get life in prison with out parole. Until there are stiff penalties this shit will keep happening. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

They need to make "Swatting" a Federal Crime. Put it under Terrorism so that assholes who commit it get life in prison with out parole. Until there are stiff penalties this shit will keep happening. 

I was just about to post this. This story crosses the line. Absolutely should not be tolerated. Sure the officer is at fault to a degree, but his info was that the dad killed half the family inside. So personally I wouldn't find him guilty if I was a juror. Now this prick that thought this shit was funny should rot in a hole. Swatting is nothing but pure evil terrorism.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

waiting for someone to blame Russia or North Korea.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

41 minutes ago, tjcater said:

In the article's source, they released the body cam footage. (Video is on the top of article)

video wont even appear, nevermind load. what happened?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Failure on the SWAT team to identify a target.

20 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

It IS a federal crime, that's misuse of emergency services.

7 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Starts out with police on opposite side of road, an officer is yelling "show your hand(s?)".

The guy is standing at the door way with it wide open. They instructed him to "Walk this way", which as he proceeded to do so, he was shot. (Kinda blurry, so I'm not sure if the guy made any movements that could trigger someone to fire)

I didn't hear anyone say to shot, but the body cam might not have heard the command if there was one.

Edited by Guest
Accidentally left out that they instructed him to walk this way

14 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Sure the officer is at fault to a degree, but his info was that the dad killed half the family inside. So personally I wouldn't find him guilty if I was a juror. 

So, you believe that if a police officer is instructed that a murder has occurred, with unknown individuals inside, from that point onward the police officer is weapons free to execute citizens at will without due process?  Because that's what you've basically said.  Since someone reported an incident within from that point onward that the police officer should face no legal expectation to be responsible for their actions.

5 minutes ago, Noctus said:

2 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Starts out with police on opposite side of road, an officer is yelling "show your hand(s?)".

The guy is standing at the door way with it wide open. Some officer fired a shot. (Kinda blurry, so I'm not sure if the guy made any movements that could trigger someone to fire)

I didn't hear anyone say to shot, but the body cam might not have heard the command if there was one.

Woops, I missed one part. before he was shot, they instructed him to "Walk this way", which as he proceeded to do so, he was shot.

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Failure on the SWAT team to identify a target.

It IS a federal crime, that's misuse of emergency services.

Yeah, but it needs to be classified as Terrorism. Terrorism has like a minimum of 25 years to life if not the Death Penalty. The last person who I remember doing this and going to Federal Court got the charges reduced. Because it was some stupid kid, But that stupid kid deserved to go to prison for the rest of their life. Also Im pretty sure its only a FEDERAL crime if the caller is outside the borders of the state that it happens in. If the caller and indecent happen in a single  state, then generally if falls on that states authorities to decided what to do. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah, but it needs to be classified as Terrorism. Terrorism has like a minimum of 25 years to life if not the Death Penalty. The last person who I remember doing this and going to Federal Court got the charges reduced. Because it was some stupid kid, But that stupid kid deserved to go to prison for the rest of their life. Also Im pretty sure its only a FEDERAL crime if the caller is outside the borders of the state that it happens in. If the caller and indecent happen in a single  state, then generally if falls on that states authorities to decided what to do. 

Frankly I think we should bring back firing squads and expand the death penalty to more things.

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

was it misfire? (in terms of the officer didn't meant to shoot?)

Hard to say (Well I wasn't there :P), but the fact that he has 7 years of service under his belt isn't going to help his case.

Edited by Guest
Compressed the quote