Abysmal WiFi Speeds On 2.4GHz, Why?

iamdarkyoshi

So I have a Netgear R6400, which wasn't exactly cheap (for me at least). Its job is routing, and being an access point. I'm using a separate switch.

Anyway, here is what a speedtest on my 7 year old macbook looks like on 5GHz:

5a39ff7f450f0_ScreenShot2017-12-19at22_05_41.png.18f37864001550db156efab42123eef0.png

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6895286655

Here's what a test performed right after looks like after switching the macbook to 2.4GHz:

5a39ffa837344_ScreenShot2017-12-19at22_07_00.png.48fd6ebf9822f82cb5d7ca12ca8cd98b.png

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6895289090

My phone and my brother's phone behave the same as the 2.4GHz test I did with my macbook.

I'm running the router's original firmware, and it is up to date.

Our phones are the only ones on the 2.4GHz frequency, because Asus forgot to put a 5GHz radio on a 2017 phone, thanks for that -__- 

Anyway, what could be causing these issues? Reboots on the router are done daily to even sustain these speeds, it gets worse if I don't reboot.

Signal strength is 5/5, and the neighbourhood isn't too crowded. I've tried changing channels to see if that helps, and it does get up to maybe 10Mbps for a bit, and then it promptly poos itself.

GOod signal strength doesn't mean clean or accurate signal. Could be interference, could be the internal antennas, could be a burned out SMD component, could be heat. A million and one things. 

Double check the settings and make sure the 2.4GHz band is set to do G+N and not just B.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

So I have a Netgear R6400, which wasn't exactly cheap (for me at least). Its job is routing, and being an access point. I'm using a separate switch.

Anyway, here is what a speedtest on my 7 year old macbook looks like on 5GHz:

5a39ff7f450f0_ScreenShot2017-12-19at22_05_41.png.18f37864001550db156efab42123eef0.png

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6895286655

Here's what a test performed right after looks like after switching the macbook to 2.4GHz:

5a39ffa837344_ScreenShot2017-12-19at22_07_00.png.48fd6ebf9822f82cb5d7ca12ca8cd98b.png

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6895289090

My phone and my brother's phone behave the same as the 2.4GHz test I did with my macbook.

I'm running the router's original firmware, and it is up to date.

Our phones are the only ones on the 2.4GHz frequency, because Asus forgot to put a 5GHz radio on a 2017 phone, thanks for that -__- 

Anyway, what could be causing these issues? Reboots on the router are done daily to even sustain these speeds, it gets worse if I don't reboot.

Signal strength is 5/5, and the neighbourhood isn't too crowded. I've tried changing channels to see if that helps, and it does get up to maybe 10Mbps for a bit, and then it promptly poos itself.

Interference my friend. 2.4 Ghz is used by cordless phones, baby monitors, blue tooth, and transmitted by Microwave ovens, just to name a few. Keep in mind, due to its range, other networks in range can also interfere. This is the reason when people say "Im having issues with my WiFi speeds" the first thing we say is try 5Ghz, as you generally better speeds and reliability. 

Download WiFi analyzer on your phone and check to see what networks are in the area. Also, make sure your router is no where near a microwave. Other than that, there is not much you can do. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Interference my friend. 2.4 Ghz is used by cordless phones, baby monitors, blue tooth, and transmitted by Microwave ovens, just to name a few. Keep in mind, due to its range, other networks in range can also interfere. This is the reason when people say "Im having issues with my WiFi speeds" the first thing we say is try 5Ghz, as you generally better speeds and reliability. 

Download WiFi analyzer on your phone and check to see what networks are in the area. Also, make sure your router is no where near a microwave. Other than that, there is not much you can do. 

Moisture can also interfere with 2.4. Water pipes in the wall, damp insulation or drywall, if you have it next to a water cooler or ice machine, etc.

Yeah, this is looking like there's some sort of interference going on. Check what channel you're using (make sure it's not a congested one) and that your wireless settings for 2.4GHz is G+N.

Ready for what it could be?

You're on WiFi.

There ya go.

Seriously, no ISP can guarantee WiFi speeds.  If it works great, congrats, it works great.  If it doesn't.  Not much can be done other than changing some WiFi channels and setting up some access points.  Maybe repositioning the router.  Even with doing these, it's not a guarantee.  

WiFi is very finicky, especially 2.4GHz frequency.  To put it into perspective.  EVERYTHING uses it.  Hell, when you nuke your food, your microwave can interfere with it.  

Try changing the channel on your router.  Channels 1, 6, and 11 I generally have had the best of luck with with WiFi interference on 2.4GHz.  

If your router allows you to, set the channel to auto for every 10 minutes.

Before you accuse me of blowing smoke out of my ass.  I worked for one of the local ISPs.  I was the one troubleshooting internet, regardless of DSL, Dial-Up, Fiber, PPPoE, (all services SRT offers).  I troubleshooted regardless of hardwired or wireless.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 minute ago, HalGameGuru said:

Moisture can also interfere with 2.4. Water pipes in the wall, damp insulation or drywall, if you have it next to a water cooler or ice machine, etc.

Yeah, but 5 Ghz works fine. Both would be affected if it was moisture. 2.4 Ghz has better penetration power. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Ready for what it could be?

You're on WiFi.

There ya go.

Seriously, no ISP can guarantee WiFi speeds.  If it works great, congrats, it works great.  If it doesn't.  Not much can be done other than changing some WiFi channels and setting up some access points.  Maybe repositioning the router.  Even with doing these, it's not a guarantee.  

WiFi is very finicky, especially 2.4GHz frequency.  To put it into perspective.  EVERYTHING uses it.  Hell, when you nuke your food, your microwave can interfere with it.  

Try changing the channel on your router.  Channels 1, 6, and 11 I generally have had the best of luck with with WiFi interference on 2.4GHz.  

If your router allows you to, set the channel to auto for every 10 minutes.

Before you accuse me of blowing smoke out of my ass.  I worked for one of the local ISPs.  I was the one troubleshooting internet, regardless of DSL, Dial-Up, Fiber, PPPoE, (all services SRT offers).  I troubleshooted regardless of hardwired or wireless.

I know my ISP, its a locally owned ISP, and he gives me perfectly good speeds. I bought and own the router. Its an off the shelf netgear.

Its set to 802.11b/g/n and the channel is set to auto.

I've tried putting it all over the place, I'll try moving it again tomorrow but I honestly expect more than just 1Mbps off it...

It'll do this even if I am 3 feet from it. I know I'm probably overloading the radios being that close, but its still just so weird that its this bad.

7 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I know my ISP, its a locally owned ISP, and he gives me perfectly good speeds. I bought and own the router. Its an off the shelf netgear.

Its set to 802.11b/g/n and the channel is set to auto.

I've tried putting it all over the place, I'll try moving it again tomorrow but I honestly expect more than just 1Mbps off it...

It'll do this even if I am 3 feet from it. I know I'm probably overloading the radios being that close, but its still just so weird that its this bad.

That's WiFi.  If it's just your one device it could be the Wireless card of that device is just buggy.  If it's everything connected to 2.4GHz, well... that's WiFi for you bud.  You can try a different router.

One thing to remember, with any ISP.  Your speeds are only guaranteed via Ethernet.

Whatever speeds you're paying for.  That's nice.  Doesn't mean anything on WiFi.  

I'm not trying to sound like an ass, if I am.  I'm just being completely honest of the kind of pain WiFi can be. 

12 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah, but 5 Ghz works fine. Both would be affected if it was moisture. 2.4 Ghz has better penetration power. 

No moisture specifically effects 2.4GHz, that's its inherent frequency vibration. That's why microwaves use that frequency, water absorbs it.

1 minute ago, kaiju_wars said:

That's WiFi.  If it's just your one device it could be the Wireless card of that device is just buggy.  If it's everything connected to 2.4GHz, well... that's WiFi for you bud.  You can try a different router.

One thing to remember, with any ISP.  Your speeds are only guaranteed via Ethernet.

Whatever speeds you're paying for.  That's nice.  Doesn't mean anything on WiFi.  

I know. I could have done a file transfer to my NAS but I'm still learning how to use a mac. And yeah its all 2.4GHz devices on the network.

Very odd performance on 2.4ghz

I own a Netgear R7000 for over 2 years now 

I also notice slower speeds on my 2.4ghz band but only 20-30mbps slower on the download. upload is fine

however your variance is huuuuge

i generally give glowing reviews about my experience with the R7000 because it constantly receives firmware updates and has been solid for me

How long have you owned the product? I would seriously consider getting a refund - you have a very vaild reason to

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I know. I could have done a file transfer to my NAS but I'm still learning how to use a mac. And yeah its all 2.4GHz devices on the network.

Test another router, if that doesn't work... oh well.  Not much can be done after that. 

with those speeds maybe go into the router, specifically turn ON Wireless B and then disable it completely only G+N or N.

@iamdarkyoshi Can you check to see if you are running the same settings as me (aside from Channel, thats dependant on your area, mine is clear)

Capture65.JPG.85822f7c01480d8406d1bdcf4bdbd3b3.JPG

Photography / Finance / Gaming

7 minutes ago, mok said:

@iamdarkyoshi Can you check to see if you are running the same settings as me (aside from Channel, thats dependant on your area, mine is clear)

Mine looks basically exactly the same.

Perhaps try selecting a specific channel? I was having issues with my 5GHz band a while back and I realized it was set to either auto or a specific channel, after downloading WiFi analyzer and changing the bandwidth, my connection improved

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I have a d7000 and in my area have found it best to set channel manually, nearly all ISPs and routers select channels 1,6,11 IIRC, luckily for me most of them are set as 1 or 6. Also I have my router's and AP set on different channels to make the best use, there is some overlap of signals too, so in a few locations it can be either channel on the router or AP. I am sitting around 5-7Ft away from the router at present and getting almost 71Mbps, which is the max for my connection. I can still get 35-60 in the worst parts of the house.

If I were you, I would try picking up a cheap AP and see what that's like, The AP I am using is only a cheap TP link portable router, but set in router/AP mode.. they don't sell this model anymore, have had it for around 4 years or so, mine is the WR-702N, but this one is similar but has better features https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Portable-Support-Configuration-Required/dp/B00634PLTW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513780569&sr=8-3&keywords=tp-link+travel+router

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I have to deal with this almost all day long at work with customers. 

-First disconnect ALL but 1 wireless device, run a speed test right over the router. If you get good speeds, thats a start.

-Walk to the far ends of the house (or at least border of signal) and do a test. How much was the drop?

-If the drop was too much as in the OP....dont ever use or keep a device in that area.

So its typical just a few different things. Most the time is actual signal. You see it only takes 1 device to take down the performance of an entire wireless network. Low signal mean other devices have to wait for their time slots due to retransmission. This is a combination of both interference and power of each devices antenna (remember, wifi talks both ways, phones dont have the powerful antennas laptops have).

I typically see someone has a roku upstairs from the router basically meaning a floor, a few walls and a TV are interfering. So when they stream or even when the TV is on, people next to the router only see a meg or two. 

So run a test with only 1 device. Walk around, make a map of the signal. I bet its just one device causing your problems. 

@iamdarkyoshi what ASUS phone do you have that's from 2017 and doesn't have Wireless AC?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

@iamdarkyoshi what ASUS phone do you have that's from 2017 and doesn't have Wireless AC?

Zenfone 3 zoom. Everything else about the phone is nice, especially the 5,000mAh battery, but how 5ghz wifi just slipped their mind is beyond me.

On 12/20/2017 at 6:37 AM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Check the channel of 2.4ghz. Use WiFi analyzer and see what other WiFi are on the channel. I had the same issue, I changed mine to 12. Worked fine for me. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.