Pixel 2 / 2 XL has even more problems - USB to headphone adapter doesn't work.

GoodBytes

When you think that Google finally figured out how to produce its Pixel 2 phone after people reporting:

• No OS installed on the phone (no Android.. phone can't find the OS error)
  • Rapid rate screen burn-in
  • audio problems
  • poor camera pictures when using flash
  • Touch screen not working
  • Lengthy screen wake up time
  • Sever blue tint shift when looking at angles
  • Screen faces black smear issues
  • Phone makes high-pitch whine noise and clicking
  • Uneven volume between the bottom and top speakers

We can add another issue to the list. Multiple users are reporting that the USB to headphone adapter doesn't work. In fact, the device simply ignores the adapter, and just plays the audio content through the speakers. The issue is NOT with the adapter itself, but rather the phone. Some users report that rebooting the phone solve the issue (might be temporary), other says that it didn't help them, and those one also tried multiple adapters and that still doesn't work.

Users are now reporting on the Google Pixel Community forum that the USB Type-C to 3.5mm headphone adapter is not working on their devices. When connected, the music is played through the speakers instead of the headphones. Users have contacted Google for a replacement adapter, while some people report that rebooting the device fixes the issue for them. One of the users mentions that he has tried three different dongles and the problem is still present.

Google recommendation is to reboot your phone in Safe Mode for when you want to play music with the adapter.

Google support recommends users to restart the device in safe mode and then check if the problem persists.

Source: https://www.neowin.net/news/headphone-adapter-not-working-on-pixel-2-and-pixel-2-xl-for-some-users

I really thought the Pixel 2 was gonna be a really good phone to get. Until all these issues popped up. Google, instead of rushing it out to try to beat the iPhone, should have delayed the release to solve all these bugs. As much as I like the new hardware, the software issues are a big minus for me.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Oh dear... looking at it positively, no exploding batteries yet?

I'm still debating a Pixel 2 as my next phone, and actually have one next to me right now. I've arranged to borrow one for test from where I work and see how it performs hands on. Haven't had a chance to configure it yet, but so far it doesn't feel as much of a difference over the 5X.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

Oh dear... looking at it positively, no exploding batteries yet?

I'm still debating a Pixel 2 as my next phone, and actually have one next to me right now. I've arranged to borrow one for test from where I work and see how it performs hands on. Haven't had a chance to configure it yet, but so far it doesn't feel as much of a difference over the 5X.

I would wait for the Pixel 3, with the hope that they'll fix everything, by taking their time and hopefully learn some lessons, so that they end up with a proper, polished device, delivering you a great experience.

12 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I would wait for the Pixel 3, with the hope that they'll fix everything, by taking their time and hopefully learn some lessons, so that they end up with a proper, polished device, delivering you a great experience.

I would wait a few months after the pixel 3 release. Just to be sure there are indeed no issues. Sometimes it takes a while for issues to appear like the adapter issue.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Yet again they release a rushed phone. 

On the other hand, would be good if everyone include Type C earbuds. Quality ones, specialy how much flagship phones cost now... More than entry gaming laptop it's insane. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Google recommendation is to reboot your phone in Safe Mode for when you want to play music with the adapter.

With this kind of quick fix from Google, I’m guessing it’s a hardware issue that can’t be fixed by software updates. Or better yet, users take their receipts and return their defective phones for exchange. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

So basically, like everything else Google "improves" upon, it's a piece of shit.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

I don't think there will ever be a phone or any tech product with no issues.

What about the original nokia 3310? Afaik it didn't have any issues, it wasn't fantastic and couldn't do much but the few functions it has worked just fine.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

9 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

I don't think there will ever be a phone or any tech product with no issues.

They are issues and they are issues.

You have production issues at first that gets ironed out, and software bugs that usually gets quickly fixed within the fist few months. But here it is problems, after problems, after problems.... It is like, they fix something, and something else breaks. And with issues like no OS, or even headphone feature not working, you would think that the device gets an automated test before putting in the box. Clearly they don't.

7 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

As technology and software get more advance, so does the complexity and inevitable errors/problems.

Oh please. How is the Pixel 2 so advanced compared to smart phones from 2009-10? They are sure faster, and have facial recognition camera's, and finger print reader.. but issues aren't there. In fact, if anything, they are simpler. more things are integrated in the SoC (which Google doesn't make), and battery capacity has increased, allowing faster chip for similar or greater battery life than before, allowing more room for larger camera sensor and better ones at the back and front, and open plenty of space from finger print reader, facial recognition, etc. (which again, have no issues on this phone).

And again, why Samsung Galaxy S8 phones doesn't have issues, like missing OS, quick screen burn in, and more.

as i said when they announced: another year, another awful phone from google

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Oh please. How is the Pixel 2 so advanced compared to smart phones from 2009-10?

It houses a more powerful SoC in a body that looks like an upside down first gen iPhone, and simulates even earlier engineering samples of them. I'd like to see an old Hauweii do that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Was that sarcasm? I sure hope so.

Obvioysly. iP1 engineering samples are probably less issue prone.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Oh please. How is the Pixel 2 so advanced compared to smart phones from 2009-10? They are sure faster, and have facial recognition camera's, and finger print reader.. but issues aren't there.

iPhone 4 (2010) is plagued by the antennagate and iOS 4 bugs that miscalculate signal bars coupled by then a congested AT&T network. 

But to say that the Pixel 2 isn’t advanced compared to a Google Nexus One by HTC (2009) is misleading and erroneous. 

4 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

As technology and software get more advance, so does the complexity and inevitable errors/problems.

It’s not an excuse for a company the size of Google to have terrible quality control much like how Apple butchered initial releases of iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra or how Galaxy Note 7 phones are catching fire because of a design flaw and faulty batteries. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

iPhone 4 (2010) is plagued by the antennagate and iOS 4 bugs that miscalculate signal bars coupled by then a congested AT&T network. 

I didn't say that phones before had no issues. But ignoring small manufacturing problems which happens even on non-electronic devices. But did you open that iPhone 4, and notice the OS was missing, the display had issues, and the headphone jack was not working. You go and exchange it, only to get the same problem and exchange again, and to AGAIN have the same problems? Looking online you realize you are really not alone?

The iPhone 4 issue with the antenna, is clearly an issue that the company knew, but decided to release it to meet a deadline, and save millions in requiring a redesign (companies tend to test their products for months before releasing it).

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

But to say that the Pixel 2 isn’t advanced compared to a Google Nexus One by HTC (2009) is misleading and erroneous. 

It’s not an excuse for a company the size of Google to have terrible quality control much like how Apple butchered initial releases of iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra or how Galaxy Note 7 phones are catching fire because of a design flaw and faulty batteries. 

It isn't. The phone has a faster SoC that support more features, and more integrates more components.. but we are not here talking about how Qualcomm screwed up some chip. We are here talking about a company with experience in product productions, phone production in the past,  and working with phone manufacture for years in the past, that is unable to get its production facility in order.... All the issues mentioned, are like from a small company, with limited resources and experience trying to make its first mass product.

I didn't care much for the Pixel line last year and I don't this year. Especially after from the departure of the better concept of good budget phone - the dear old Nexus line.

this is just amazing, how did this come to market? xD 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Name Taken said:

Poor design, quality control and software bugs are all caused by human errors because humans are flawed by nature which unfortunately isn't going to change.

This is where experience comes in. Again, all these issues are fully understandable for a small company starting their first mass production device. No one would bat an eye.. it sucks, but such as life. Early adapters takes the risk for a device that they hope would be great when it works, and the company learn a lot only to improve in the future. This is Google. They have the experience, the knowledge, and not their first device, and again, these aren't all design issues or minor software bugs. These are serious Quality Control issues at software and hardware level.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Pixel 3 is certainly an option. I've not had the 5X that long (a year or so), so it is relatively early for me to consider upgrading. More likely, I might get a Pixel 2 later in its life cycle, when they should have ironed out the worst but fixable bugs, and maybe get a price drop.

2 hours ago, samcool55 said:

I would wait a few months after the pixel 3 release. Just to be sure there are indeed no issues. Sometimes it takes a while for issues to appear like the adapter issue.

That's the situation I'm in right now with the Pixel 2... I almost bought it at launch, and it seems my hesitation wasn't a bad thing.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

maybe a recall and rerealease would be better, but doubt google will do so tbh.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

That's a common enough issue even on PC's. Hopefully this one can get sorted pretty quickly, but there's still too many in need of remediation for me to leap to the Pixel ATM.

So...   my old windows phone had none of those problems and only cost $99.    

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Remember when I said USB-C/Lighting-audio was an overengineered solution for a problem that didn't exist? Looks like the moronic decision to push for a digital audio connector are already coming to bite Google in the ass.