PUBG struggles to hit 30 fps on console release (lol)

ItsMitch

PUBG has been released on the console for a few days if that and it's already hitting big mainstream media over it's poor and lackluster console port and it fails to meet it's expected 30 fps on the Xbox 1 and the Xbox 1x.

Story is coming in from Eurogamer and Digital Foundry

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is - without question - the biggest game in the world right now, so Microsoft's current console exclusivity for the title is obviously a big deal. Equally without question is that the PC game is notorious for its work-in-progress visuals and wobbly performance. With that in mind, some might say that it's somewhat miraculous that any playable version of PUBG is possible on a console right now. From another perspective though, what's clear is that the current build of the game is a long way short of the standards expected from a polished console release.

PUBG on Xbox One starts up promisingly enough with a decent, attractive front-end, but once you've moved on from character creation to your first in-game lobby, you're instantly besieged by low-resolution textures that seem to be failing to stream in properly, combined with performance just above or below the 20fps threshold - depending on whether you're playing on Xbox One or its significantly more powerful 4K counterpart.

Moving onto deployment into the game's single map (the PC's second map is en route), performance continues to be a struggle, kicking off with a prolonged stutter before moving on to 15-20fps territory as the transport plane flies above the map. In terms of first impressions, PUBG is borderline horrendous - an assault of low-quality artwork, jarring pop-in, and disappointing performance. Input lag also feels off - whether that's down to dead zone issues on the analog sticks or the variable frame-rate remains to be seen (it's something we're looking into) and in this respect at least, it's the same story whether you're gaming on a standard Xbox or the X.

Video from Digital Foundry with the framerate on screen:

Personally, the game doesn't look that great and I'm not surprised it runs like shit.

I have heard that the early access version is not finished and some are hopeful the performance will improve. It is hilarious to see firefights as the FPS crashes and its just a hope and a prayer currently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylyy-y4Sfmw 

WhydopeopleevenlikePUBG

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Just now, Ashiella said:

WhydopeopleevenlikePUBG

1 vs 100 gives them bragging rights to be like I beat you in 1v 100 BOOIII YOU SUCK ASS lol.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Just now, spdmnadam said:

I have heard that the early access version is not finished and some are hopeful the performance will improve. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylyy-y4Sfmw 

Don't understand why release it in "early access" on console when they can barely make it run well on the PC.

heard that this was likely on normal Xbox but 15 is terrible 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

2 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Don't understand why release it in "early access" on console when they can barely make it run well on the PC.

Agreed it think it is probably just to get tons of testing data and make more cash in the meantime. This game hasn't even officially released on PC yet it has been Early Access all this time and still gained popularity amid bugs similar to what Xbox is seeing now. 

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

EXACTLY! My 4790k/Fury holds 45-50fps minimum, which is awful imo I hate <60fps, and I KNOW how much faster my i7 is than anything in any console, and my Fury is pretty much better in every way than the GPU in the 1x (-power efficiency.) I don't know how they thought the OG xbones with the 1.8ghz jaguar chips and <HD 7790 GPU's would even do 1080p 30fps. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

5 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

They didn't, the Xbone release is supposed to be final.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Vegetable said:

EXACTLY! My 4790k/Fury holds 45-50fps minimum, which is awful imo I hate <60fps, and I KNOW how much faster my i7 is than anything in any console, and my Fury is pretty much better in every way than the GPU in the 1x (-power efficiency.) I don't know how they thought the OG xbones with the 1.8ghz jaguar chips and <HD 7790 GPU's would even do 1080p 30fps. 

I feel really bad for that Xbox CPU rn

Why is it so badly optimised anyway?They are using UE4 according to wikipedia so it's not because of their own crappy engine, can't they hire decent developers?

Just now, SC2Mitch said:

I feel really bad for that Xbox CPU rn

Pretty much. I'd say those Jaguar chips are in the range of FX IPC, so 1.8Ghz on that would be like 900mhz for equivalent performance on skylake or newer

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

2 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Oh dear

Pretty much yeah, Brendan what's his face said the Xbox would be getting the final release ahead of PC players a few weeks back.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

The bigger problem is the control scheme on Xbox is terrible. Not saying there is a better way to do it, but there are too many things in PUBG with the inventory system and other functions that are meant to be done with a mouse and keyboard. It doesn't work on a controller.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Pretty much yeah, Brendan what's his face said the Xbox would be getting the final release ahead of PC players a few weeks back.

I fear for the CPUs if that's going to be the official state then

I can already tell you too that this game will be unplayable on the regular Xbox one or Xbox one S, because on the Xbox one X it still can't hit 30fps at most points with FAR more power.

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

The bigger problem is the control scheme on Xbox is terrible. Not saying there is a better way to do it, but there are too many things in PUBG with the inventory system and other functions that are meant to be done with a mouse and keyboard. It doesn't work on a controller.

Tbf FPS-games tend to have terrible controls in general when compared to mouse+keyboard.

Just now, Cheezdoodlez said:

Tbf FPS-games tend to have terrible controls in general when compared to mouse+keyboard.

Not always, most games work fine, CoD, BF, etc... But ones like this with tons of controls just don't work.

So, significantly better than expected?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

So, significantly better than expected?

Yea, pyo.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Not surprised, this game runs like ass in general. It's an unpolished laggy mess and is clearly unfinished. Also makes me sad that it was almost GOTY, kinda telling about the state of gaming and how low the bar is.

I like laughing at consoles more than the next guy, but go easy on them this time around. xD

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer