Nintendo games on Nvidia Shield - In China

DeScruff

Source engadget: https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/05/nintendo-wii-gamecube-nvidia-shield-china/

It seems like the partnership between Nintendo and Nvidia has created something unexpected.

Extending the business relationship that brought NVIDIA technology to Nintendo Switch, some of Nintendo's most beloved Wii and Nintendo GameCube titles are officially headed to China for the first time. New Super Mario Bros. Wii, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and PUNCH-OUT!! are remastered in 1080p and available on the China version of NVIDIA SHIELD, released today.

SHIELD owners in China will be able to download and play select Wii and Nintendo GameCube titles, with others coming soon – among them,Super Mario Galaxy. These amazing games have been provided to NVIDIA under license.

Customized for the China market, SHIELD is a completely localized device, with local content, store, search and more. SHIELD will bring Chinese customers a brand-new experience in gaming, AI and home entertainment with Baidu's DuerOS conversational AI system and abundant entertainment options from iQIYI.

Nintendo games on another system officially?
Now this is the Chinese version of the Shield, I wouldn't expect to be able to VPN into China and download Wii and Gamecube games.
The starting selection of New Super Mario Brothers, Zelda, Twilight Princess, and Punch-Out!! is a pretty good lineup and the prices of 68 RMB ($10 USD), seem quite fair.

Nintendo just launched the Switch in Taiwan December 1st. However I can't find any information about a mainland China release.
Its possible Nintendo doesn't plan on going into China just yet as the Chinese market is dominated by PC and mobile gaming.  This might be Nintendo's answer to getting into the Chinese market.
With the Switch and Shield's specs so similar I wouldn't be surprised to see Switch games on the Shield in China, and these games brought to the Switch's Virtual Console.
A video of Twilight Princess running on the Nvidia Shield can be found here:  https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/937886221086396418/video/1

UPDATE: via Arstechnica: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/12/nintendo-brings-hd-wii-games-to-chinas-nvidia-shield-is-switch-next/ 

[Update: A description page on Nvidia's Chinese site suggests the Wii games in question are run via streaming through Nvidia's Geforce Now service, rather than through emulation directly on the Shield hardware. This complicates the idea that the Shield is being used as a test run for any Switch virtual console efforts. The mere existence of remastered, HD versions of classic Wii titles, though, suggests Nintendo may have further plans for these games than just basic emulation.]

Apologies, looks like some initial information may have been a bit off, as tends to happen with news from another language. I'll do my best to keep this thread with up to date info.
But for now we can expect that this isn't locally emulated. .

What?!!!! This sounds amazing lol

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

This is legit what I thought about when I first heard the switch uses a tegra chip! Now it's just a matter of time until I can hack my old shield to play switch games!

I am sure i heard something rumor wise about this but i thought it was strictly rumor...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Huh, I'm surprised that Nintendo is actually open to this. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

15 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I am sure i heard something rumor wise about this but i thought it was strictly rumor...

Well it seems to be confirmed via Nvidia China's website: http://shield.nvidia.cn/games/geforce-now/legend-of-zelda-princess-at-dusk
However some new information pointing to the fact that the games are not being emulated on the device but streamed via Geforce Now. I updated the OP to reflect the new information.

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Huh, I'm surprised that Nintendo is actually open to this. 

they should of just worked with nvidia from the start to release a new shield tv or something and maybe they designed input devices (controllers and stuff) for it and released their games on it. 

would of been sooo much better than the switch... and would of sold like hotcakes (lol do people use this expression anymore?)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Holy, so my Shield pyroTablet will do something good for once (maybe).

now, release a 2017/2018 shield portable. really need a new beefy handheld while I wait for the New Switch

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, Name Taken said:

The Nvidia Shield and Switch both use a similar Nvidia SoC.

They use the same SOC.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

China does a lot of shady shit, but sometimes get the better products.