Nvidia Slips Ahead Of Earnings As Intel Hires AMD Exec

Dygear

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nvidia-slips-ahead-earnings-intel-174205684.html

Shares of Nvidia NVDA dipped on Thursday morning, just hours before it is set to release its Q3 earnings report. The slump came after Intel INTC announced that it hired one of Advanced Micro Devices’ AMD top systems architects to help Intel compete in the quickly growing graphics chip market.

So, the three months that he took off to do soul searching I’m guessing was a mandatory cool down period before he can join a direct competitor.

Intel is also going to be making GPUs of the discreet flavor. So that’s amazing as there’s another huge brand in the market to keep nVidia honest. But AMD must be livid! 

-- Mark Tomlin

19 minutes ago, Dygear said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nvidia-slips-ahead-earnings-intel-174205684.html

So, the three months that he took off to do soul searching I’m guessing was a mandatory cool down period before he can join a direct competitor.

Intel is also going to be making GPUs of the discreet flavor. So that’s amazing as there’s another huge brand in the market to keep nVidia honest. But AMD must be livid! 

You dont seem to understand how impossible it is for Intel to  make a discrete GPU that runs on x86 without licensing it from AMD or Nvidia.

If you could just throw money at the problem, they would have had competing GPUs for a decade.

5 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

You dont seem to understand how impossible it is for Intel to  make a discrete GPU that runs on x86 without licensing it from AMD or Nvidia.

If you could just throw money at the problem, they would have had competing GPUs for a decade.

I wouldn't be so sure, I'm bet they threw a lot of money to acquire the head of Radeon Technologies.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

9 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I wouldn't be so sure, I'm bet they threw a lot of money to acquire the head of Radeon Technologies.

Sure, now just the entire team that does the actual legwork of developing the architectures as well as driver creation. Especially with legacy support.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

1 minute ago, Centurius said:

Sure, now just the entire team that does the actual legwork of developing the architectures as well as driver creation. Especially with legacy support.

They will buy a team.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

24 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

Well they're clearly planning something if they've hired Raja to work on GPUs for them.

Going to be hard to tell how quickly they'll come to market though. Could be quite a few years if they start from scratch.

From Intel announcement (via WCCF):

In this position, Koduri will expand Intel’s leading position in integrated graphics for the PC market with high-end discrete graphics solutions for a broad range of computing segments.

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

They will buy a team.

I highly doubt Intel is willing to throw the kind of money at it that would give them the full RTG or Nvidia teams.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I highly doubt Intel is willing to throw the kind of money at it that would give them the full RTG or Nvidia teams.

intel does have the money though

Just now, firecrow797 said:

intel does have the money though

To an extent, you're easily getting into a mess of non-compete clauses as well as legal action if they come even close to infringing on any of the Nvidia or AMD patents

My Build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Intel has come out and said they've hired Raja to work on "high-end discrete graphics solutions for a broad range of computing segments"

Sounds like they're making GPUs to me..

I'm not talking about the current nvidia and RTG teams.

Raja guiding a team of skilled GPU engineers, who have inside access to intel cpu technology seems like more than enough to produce a discreet GPU.

1 minute ago, -BirdiE- said:

Intel has come out and said they've hired Raja to work on "high-end discrete graphics solutions for a broad range of computing segments"

Sounds like they're making GPUs to me..

Sure, doesn't mean they're making good GPUs, which does require the existing expertise from one of the big 2

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

I'm not talking about the current nvidia and RTG teams.

Raja guiding a team of skilled GPU engineers, who have inside access to intel cpu technology seems like more than enough to produce a discreet GPU.

It's enough to produce a discrete GPU, but that doesn't automatically mean it is a good GPU. If they start from scratch they're dealing with a maze of proprietary systems the competitors have already patented, legacy support where the competitors can simply go for the work they've done over decades and a bunch of other stuff which has prevented some really big companies from entering the desktop discrete GPU market and even the GPGPU market.

My Build:

Spoiler

This isn't the first time intel tried to jump into this market and frankly I don't have confidence they'll get rolling to far before running into a patent wall.

Also Nvidia is not in trouble stock wise or finace wise they have been making mountains of money and it is clear this trend will continue for a while regardless of what intel does given development times and what not

BTW they are all down today so.... moving on, this year Nvidia has the largest % and raw value gain of the three though it seems perhaps coffe lake or some of their enterprise stuff propelled intel up a bit in the last couple months it still is only around 20-30% and about 10pts

image.png.af248b5a24316fbbba0722767304a962.png

image.png.22b14ef22fcf7187ea48b93682fc1616.png

image.png.c60555557896efde5c146bc9f0902e3e.png

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

45 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

4.1?

http://investor.nvidia.com/secfiling.cfm?filingid=1193125-11-5134&cik=1045810

19 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Sure, doesn't mean they're making good GPUs

This is very true. I thought you were saying "they aren't going to make them" rather than "it probably won't be good."

It's hard to have a TON of confidence in Raja after the little success he had at RTG. But it very well could have been his team that let him down. Or he could find more success integrating some of Intel's technology.

Hard to say though. It's a really weird industry where they all have patents, and licence technology to each other. Intel has already licenced AMD graphics technology to make their APUs (or whatever Intel calls theirs). Does this mean they can use that tech to make discrete GPUS? And if someone like Nvidia tries to hike up the price on Intel when licencing a technology... Who knows how Intel will react? Nvidia's money makers (enterprise GPUs) pretty much all run on Intel chipsets. Maybe Nvidia is afraid of the price they pay to Intel going up, or losing support on that chipset?

I don't really know the answer to any of those. lol. I'm just saying there are super strange relationships so it's really hard to say how it will turn out.

EDIT: One more note, Intel was also working on a retail GPU from 2006 to 2010, whose technology was used in Knights Landing. It will be interesting to see if any of that technology works its way in to their new project.

I'm actually fairly happy about the intel gpu situation going forward . I have doubts about amd's long term sustainability  if they drop graphics entirely , as that's what actually saved them from bulldozer's poor sales figures. 

However , it's no secret that they don't have money . Amd hasn't managed to deliver a compelling high end gpu alternative since the 290x , and arguably they were already falling behind . 

Intel is literally worth 20X what AMD is worth , and they are in a similar weight class than nvidia . 

It could mean that there wouldn't be on innovator and the rest playing catchup. They could properly compete. It could be like ATI vs Nvidia again.

7 hours ago, Centurius said:

Intel was willing to spend 7.6 Billion dollars on Mcafee. If they wanted to buy RTG , they'd have the money.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Now we can get 400W underperforming GPUs with our 400W overheating CPUs. Let me go dump more money in to Intel, this is such a glorious day! /s

Keep them honest ay?    Someone else suggested Intel needed to team up with AMD to fight a common enemy the other day.  I didn't know a company by it's success alone invoked such perception in consumerism. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

I didn't know a company by it's success alone invoked such perception in consumerism. 

People like success, just not too much success. Funny how that works.

4 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

What is the problem?
Are AMD and Nvidia really the only ones that are allowed to?
Isn't that anti-competitive as hell?

"If you ain't first, you're last"

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

People like success, just not too much success. Funny how that works.

I guess a company can only be too successful if it is being  underhanded in some unknown way. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

AMD and Intel collaboration announcement on Monday, Raja resigns Tuesday and Intel announces his hiring on Wednesday.

To me it looks like Raja going over to Intel is part of the collaboration between team red and team blue, possibly a large part of it. There's no way AMD does not have a non-compete clause in his contract that probably lasts 12 months. I think this collaboration is going to part of a much larger cross licensing deal between AMD and Intel, and Raja becomes to integrating the two.

Radeon graphics co developed by AMD and Intel, improbable maybe but definitely possible.

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

3 hours ago, Memories4K said:

What is the problem?
Are AMD and Nvidia really the only ones that are allowed to?
Isn't that anti-competitive as hell?

Patents are anti-competitive in nature, as they treat Insight & Knowledge as a valuable "good". Which is necessary, though Patent Trolls can go to hell.

At the same time, Intel may just be setting off a legal war with both Nvidia & AMD at the same time. That's always fun.