AMD Releases Q3 Earnings Results: Significantly Higher Net Income than Previous Quarters

DocSwag
2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Weird that you got it so cheap while being brand new, either way I doubt it covered the overhead on the chip so why someone would sell it for that price is beyond me unless it was a private seller who stole it (doubtful since you said new) or they expected to make money of a motherboard thus offsetting the low price

Definitely weird, it was a fair while ago, I think a business went bust and stock was sold off cheap. 

But to stay on topic, how disruptive could the APUS for mobile be? Do you think it will be another bout of growth?

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

10 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

APUS for mobile be? Do you think it will be another bout of growth?

Depends on how power efficient the designs are, I'm leaning towards no but it could take off if a high profile phone adopts it (iphone galaxy etc) otherwise it will remain niche.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Depends on how power efficient the designs are, I'm leaning towards no but it could take off if a high profile phone adopts it (iphone galaxy etc) otherwise it will remain niche.

They're making smartphone SOCs?? I thought they were laptop parts?

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Am I correct in interpreting the earnings report showing AMD making profit finally?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

8 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

These aren't smartphone SoCs...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

They're making smartphone SOCs?? I thought they were laptop parts?

Whoops wrong thing XD, laptops with apu's used to suck I suspect that will continue

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, DocSwag said:

These aren't smartphone SoCs...

I'm aware (now) got confused said things regarding that market instead of laptops with APUs which I find to be crap and thus never even thought of them.

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Whoops wrong thing XD, laptops with apu's used to suck I suspect that will continue

Well... yes and no.

laptops with apus sucked because amd had trash gpu solutions. Raven Ridge is looking to be as good as an MX150, which makes it pretty interesting to me.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Well... yes and no.

laptops with apus sucked because amd had trash gpu solutions. Raven Ridge is looking to be as good as an MX150, which makes it pretty interesting to me.

Could be but I have become a tech snob now and the thought of going back to an integrated or on board solution sickens me, once you become used to higher quality it becomes difficult to go back and I doubt these APUs will be amazing, good perhaps but without drastic leaps I'm unaware of by amd or a high price tag I see them to be quite useless to me. They might sell well despite this a the majority of consumers are plebs of course amd will have to market to said people or they'll just buy intel anyway since what's an amd.

10 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Could be but I have become a tech snob now and the thought of going back to an integrated or on board solution sickens me, once you become used to higher quality it becomes difficult to go back and I doubt these APUs will be amazing, good perhaps but without drastic leaps I'm unaware of by amd or a high price tag I see them to be quite useless to me. They might sell well despite this a the majority of consumers are plebs of course amd will have to market to said people or they'll just buy intel anyway since what's an amd.

I think if the implementation is done well, 4c/8t(single CCX) with Vega graphics that are actually clocked within the efficiency curve could really be disruptive compared to Intel's integrated GPUs... Unless, they are priced out of the market that is.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

And AMD's stock price dropped... what a cruel, cruel world...

Dropped compared to when? It's currently higher than Q3 2016 and Q2 2017.

Edit -  actually if you look at the peak from Q2 it's lower compared to that one but only by 50 cents(14.7 VS 14.2)

Edit 2, lol. - Now I see it looking at the daily graph, dropped $2 in after hours, damn. Probably be back up to $14 again come morning though. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

11 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Dropped compared to when? It's currently higher than Q3 2016 and Q2 2017.

Edit -  actually if you look at the peak from Q2 it's lower compared to that one but only by 50 cents(14.7 VS 14.2)

Edit 2, lol. - Now I see it looking at the daily graph, dropped $2 in after hours, damn. Probably be back up to $14 again come morning though. 

They are doing better than I was going to give them odds for.  About 6 months ago I predicted their stock would drop back to 10 a share if not steady out at 8 again.    I guess there are more people willing to invest in vega and zen than I first thought.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, emosun said:

I think AMD is learning the whole "if you make a product people will buy it" as opposed to their "make nothing for 4 years straight" plan they used previously

I'm confused. Are you implying AMD consciously decided not to make anything? Weird, here I was thinking it was because they were broke and had no money to research a new product. TIL something new on the internet.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

4 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

How much do you wanna bet miners helped?

not much.

VEGA and Polaris has REALLY bad margins compared to Ryzen. Ryzen is WAY more prevalent in prebuilts, system builds etc... So if i were to bet, less then 20% of their profit in that segment is miners buying GPUs. Its almost all due to Ryzen

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

laptops with apus sucked because amd had trash gpu solutions.

I've always understood the GPU was actually decent, it was the CPU side that was lacking.  The A6 APU on my laptop that I use during my lunchbreak behaves pretty decently.

Not bad, though non GAAP figures should be taken with a large grain of salt. They're more to hype investors. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Not as much as you think.

Margins in CPUs are stupidly high compared to GPUs. Unless it‘s high end or enterprise like Vega FE, but those are very low volume.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

5 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

And AMD's stock price dropped... what a cruel, cruel world...

Dropped from an overvalued price point? :P

Investors were pushing the price up to $14-15 in the (misguided) hopes that AMD would continue to rake in an increase in revenue going into Q4 as well (which isn't happening, even by AMD's own estimates).

The drop represented something closer to a "price correction" and "return to reality" xD (not that I'm complaining, cheaper to flip in 3 and 6 months).

10 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

The thing these APUs have compared to cpu+gpu combo is efficiency. Yes, you may be able to get higher performance with a cpu+gpu but that's gonna require more space and power, so you end up with something that's either a bit heavier or with less battery life.

7 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I've always understood the GPU was actually decent, it was the CPU side that was lacking.  The A6 APU on my laptop that I use during my lunchbreak behaves pretty decently.

I was thinking more towards earlier times (2012-2013), but in recent years you're definitely right.

I would also say it has to do with amd just being in an inferior process node.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

That's great, keep up the flow. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

15 hours ago, emosun said:

I'm not going to pretend intel doesn't take the same amount of time to make something that can be considered TRULY new.

But at least intel was doing SOMETHING. They were at least standing in the court practicing free throws while they waited for amd to show up. I don't think intel really minded that several year period of no competition as people paid premium prices. 

if i was to guess they probably needed to stop investing in a architecture that didn't work well at all and focused all the money they could in developing ryzen.

14 hours ago, emosun said:

I have to admit I've really never considered an amd cpu option over intel as I usually buy used cpu's and can always find something faster from intel for the same price.

Even with ryzen and threadripper , the prices are new , but the performance is old news.

threadripper perf is totally not old news, maybe if you consider some server cpus, but then epyc doubles the cores again, not to mention we never had this many pcie lanes directly from one cpu ever which is great for servers,

5 hours ago, DocSwag said:

The thing these APUs have compared to cpu+gpu combo is efficiency. Yes, you may be able to get higher performance with a cpu+gpu but that's gonna require more space and power, so you end up with something that's either a bit heavier or with less battery life.

I was thinking more towards earlier times (2012-2013), but in recent years you're definitely right.

I would also say it has to do with amd just being in an inferior process node.

for the love of god, can you please go educate yourself instead of spreading misinformation and bullshit?

8 minutes ago, Prysin said:

for the love of god, can you please go educate yourself instead of spreading misinformation and bullshit?

Why, were the APUs from 2012-2013 ok?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

17 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Of course they helped. But there's not that much money in graphics anyway, so this growth is more the result of ryzen, epyc and threadripper. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case