Essential Phone slashed $200 USD

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/22/16516828/essential-phone-price-cut-499-android

Essential is slashing the price of its eponymous phone, down to $499 at its website. That’s a $200 price cut from the original $699 price, less than two months after it began shipping to customers. There is really no other way to read the move except as a signal that it wasn’t selling well at $699 — especially given that the only US carrier stores it’s available in have “Sprint” above the door.

I've been eyeing the essential phone or it's successor as my next phone after my OP3T dies or I upgrade. So I'm actually ok with this, especially if it means the company lives on to another release cycle. However one wonders what made them think they could charge the original flagship pricing. Titianium is nice but still. Clearly they had this $200 as margin, I bet if they paid Samsung for their OLEDs, the reviews would have been more positive and possibly could have led to the phone moving at the original price. Though really they needed to have the camera down pat, they fucked that up. Edit: Waterproofing too, at this price point it's mandatory.

To help salve the burn that customers who paid the full price might be feeling, the company is offering a $200 Essential Store “friends & family code” to be used towards the purchase of another phone or a module. The only module available thus far, of course, is the 360 camera.

Yea, people aren't happy about this, unless they got it for $0 on a contract. They probably should have just eaten the cost, unless it would have literally bankrupted them. At least they are offering the full value I guess....

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

16 minutes ago, Swatson said:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/22/16516828/essential-phone-price-cut-499-android

I've been eyeing the essential phone or it's successor as my next phone after my OP3T dies or I upgrade. So I'm actually ok with this, especially if it means the company lives on to another release cycle. However one wonders what made them think they could charge the original flagship pricing. Titianium is nice but still. Clearly they had this $200 as margin, I bet if they paid Samsung for their OLEDs, the reviews would have been more positive and possibly could have led to the phone moving at the original price. Though really they needed to have the camera down pat, they fucked that up.

Yea, people aren't happy about this, unless they got it for $0 on a contract. They probably should have just eaten the cost, unless it would have literally bankrupted them. At least they are offering the full value I guess....

Just because they lowerred the price doesnt mean they had or have $200 profit they can eat.  $499 though seems like a good option for anyone not trying to spend 750 on a S8 or 800 on a lg V30

I did think $699 was a bit much but only because it was lacking camera & waterproofing to compete with the normal flagships.  Otherwise i mean Its price is cheaper then the S8 and other similar phones i dont see anything wrong with it then. I personally find all phones at $800+ over priced but thats my own opinion. In terms of competition its pricing if it had these crossed off would be decent.

Thinking about it on all fronts the S8 has been at 575 a bunch of times not long after launch but were "sales" and unlocked only from places like bestbuy. But carriers havent dropped it much if at all. It seems like they are just not offically lowering it so some people pay the extra money who dont know anybetter or only want payment plans 

5 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Just because they lowerred the price doesnt mean they had or have $200 profit they can eat.  $499 though seems like a good option for anyone not trying to spend 750 on a S8 or 800 on a lg V30

They almost certainly did, they wouldn't sell at a loss. This isn't a console, they wont try to make money off the attachments only. Also we know average BOM costs for high end phones. they had AT LEAST $200.

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Isn't that roughly the price of the OP5? This seems like an amazing deal in comparison. Unless I'm missing something, that is. 

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

Isn't that roughly the price of the OP5? This seems like an amazing deal in comparison. Unless I'm missing something, that is. 

Yup

29 minutes ago, Swatson said:

They almost certainly did, they wouldn't sell at a loss. This isn't a console, they wont try to make money off the attachments only. Also we know average BOM costs for high end phones. they had AT LEAST $200.

Many Companies have sold products at a loss to move them off the shevles after pretty much a failure. Happens every single day. Knowing a straight up BOM costs really is no where near the full picture to the Full Cost when they Look at Actual profit at year end. Overhead exists and when not selling a lot of phones it only becomes a bigger % of it. This is where apple in the past has shined. they only make 2 (now 3 ) phones a year so overhead Per unit sold is not high since they sell so many units. 

HTC phones in the past few years have all failed and been much cheaper a few months after launch its not because they made too much money there going under.

1 hour ago, Swatson said:

Not really. Assuming that most phones have already been produced, selling at a loss is always better than holding useless, expensive merchandise. 

Also, the breaking-even point in economics includes expenses for the entrepreneur/ceo/whoever to be paid, so he/she could take a hit to their personal profit in order to squeeze out more sales. So even if they lowered the price below breaking even, they would still sell them or even continue producing a small number.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

I don't think the phones failure has anything to do with its display, but the poor camera performance, delay of launch, and absolutely horrid marketing strategy. You can't bank on the fact that you're a founder of Android as a reason people will buy your device. 

$499 is a superb price for what the device really is. If they continue to issue updates for the camera, they could have a really nice device. I hope they manage to carry on through a other year and come out with another device, one where they've learned from their initial short comings. A stronger camera, waterproofing, perhaps going with aluminium or stainless steel instead of titanium, and a lower initial price would make for a killer device offering. Then throw in proper marketing and you'd have a better chance of winning. 

As for those who already purchased the phone. Well. That's just what happens when you're an early adopter. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Looks like the phone isn't selling well, and so the price was dropped quickly.

I only watched 1 review of the phone and the review wasn't kind to say the least.

It totally bashed the abominable camera.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

i hate OnePlus ever since the shitty way they trated they're One and Two users, but would still buy reverse-jello-screen 5 or wait the 5T over picking this up

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

i hate OnePlus ever since the shitty way they trated they're One and Two users, but would still buy reverse-jello-screen 5 or wait the 5T over picking this up

you crazy

3 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Many Companies have sold products at a loss to move them off the shevles after pretty much a failure. Happens every single day. Knowing a straight up BOM costs really is no where near the full picture to the Full Cost when they Look at Actual profit at year end.

I said margin not profit. They had margin on this phone.

2 hours ago, Crossbred said:

Not really. Assuming that most phones have already been produced, selling at a loss is always better than holding useless, expensive merchandise. 

Also, the breaking-even point in economics includes expenses for the entrepreneur/ceo/whoever to be paid, so he/she could take a hit to their personal profit in order to squeeze out more sales. So even if they lowered the price below breaking even, they would still sell them or even continue producing a small number.

I understand how and why it happens but it's not happening in this case, it does not cost more than $499 to make the essential phone. "Taking a loss" on the sale of the product does not include company expenses. As long as they break even or make any money at all per sale of a phone they are not losing on each sale.

Just now, Swatson said:

you crazy

no, this phone is just as bad as the Pixel if not worse... nah, i take that back, nothing is worse than the Pixels

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

As much as people hate this phone, at $500 its actually not a bad price for what you get

I've been looking for a new phone, but nothing that has come out recently has really caught my attention besides the S8, which is quite expensive. What do you think of the Essential Phone proved at $500 compared to the upcoming OnePlus 5T, assuming it turns out well? 

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

I don't think the phones failure has anything to do with its display, but the poor camera performance, delay of launch, and absolutely horrid marketing strategy. You can't bank on the fact that you're a founder of Android as a reason people will buy your device. 

Absolutely. I thought it was some weird knock-off phone until it launched, since the only marketing I ever saw was weird promoted Twitter polls. When I saw the $700 price tag I marked it off my shortlist.

I used to be quite active here.

No phone company can do their camera right within a few years of time. 

It takes years and years of research and implementation to do it right, like apple and samsung do.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

29 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Absolutely. I thought it was some weird knock-off phone until it launched, since the only marketing I ever saw was weird promoted Twitter polls. When I saw the $700 price tag I marked it off my shortlist.

Haha yeah. Even I didn't hear much about it and I'm pretty into the mobile scene. They also made the horrible choice of pairing with Sprint and only Sprint. I mean, gorgeous build, but the camera issues just soured the deal.

I'd love to see what they could do with a larger form factor though.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If only it came with a microSD card slot...

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

15 hours ago, Swatson said:

you crazy

I said margin not profit. They had margin on this phone.

I understand how and why it happens but it's not happening in this case, it does not cost more than $499 to make the essential phone. "Taking a loss" on the sale of the product does not include company expenses. As long as they break even or make any money at all per sale of a phone they are not losing on each sale.

Saying they didnt have enough profit on the phone to lower the price, and saying they did have enough margin to lower the price. are two very contradicting statements and margin and profit go hand and hand. Your probably thinking Gross VS Net Profit/ Margin.  at 250 cost 700 sell your Gross is 450 but then 200 gose to R&D and overhead and 100 goes to retailers. 150 left  for Net Margin/Profit.  Made up numbers obviously.  

Just because a phone Manufactering cost is 250 dollars its not able to sell them at $300 and make money.  Companies have an estimated overhead they apply on top of the BOM especially if its just one product they sell to come up with the selling price. Rent of offices warehouses electric computers IT systems Employees  Prototypes ect so huge of a list.

If sprint sells the phone they get a cut of the Price so for retail units there has to be profit in there for the re seller.  the list goes on and on.

Now the price of competition phones can make you rasie or lower the price compared to your real cost to make the phone but that comes after everything else. 

1 hour ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

snip

Again, I never used the word profit, just stop trying to make an argument where there is none. I used the word margin for a good reason. They had margin on the phone, they probably still have margin on the phone. I did not make any argument about profit net or gross.

Also, you're factually wrong about things like Sprint taking a cut, carriers don't make money on phones unless they get a deal/kickback.

44 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Again, I never used the word profit, just stop trying to make an argument where there is none. I used the word margin for a good reason. They had margin on the phone, they probably still have margin on the phone. I did not make any argument about profit net or gross.

Also, you're factually wrong about things like Sprint taking a cut, carriers don't make money on phones unless they get a deal/kickback.

Cellphone companies  do have a wholesale to retail Markup......  Cellphone companies don't buy phones for 700 and sell them for 700. 

and i know you didn't use profit. Your using margin Without any context to what your actually talking about. You have no idea what or how margin is discussed in the buisness world it seems. which is fine Most people don't there is almost no reason unless your job entails it. 

there are a few different kinds  margins, including “gross profit margin,” “operating margin,” (or "operating profit margin") “pretax profit margin” and “net margin” (or "net profit margin") the term “profit margin” is also often used simply to refer to net margin

Also Margin is used in the stock trading world as buying Stocks on a loan and a margin Call would be when you lost too much money on the loan you need to pay up. this word is used for a insane amount of meanings without being somewhat more specific it doesn't work.  

26 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

snip

no you dont seem to understand that the word margin has many uses in many contexts and you're trying to win an internet argument, the way I've used it in this context is correct. I wont be responding again.

Edit: By the way, I've worked for T-mobile and Bell Mobility, you dont seem to understand the cellphone industry. The carriers dont sell phones outright very often compared to contracts and they are not making money on the device subsidy, lmfao. Even outright, they dont make money on the flagships.