The Mac mini isn’t dead yet, says Tim Cook.

AlTech
3 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

You should realize that you nor I are not the entire consumer list. In fact we make up probably only 10%. I know so many people who would prefer a very thin and light with good battery life and great hardware as a serious choice for their next laptop. Not everyone needs the power of an i3 processors these days since almost 90% of usage scenario are web based and office productivity suites

I consider them bad products; you and others are free to disagree and spend your money as you wish, but the fact that I am a power user doesn't mean my judgement is invalid. I think they're (very) bad value for their target use case and limited in their functionality and usability by design choices.

9 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Really? If you do, its probably same with all other companies. After all they're bushiness.

Actually it often isn't, and when it is I won't be happy with it.

11 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

But please also list the kind of moving industry forward things that that an specific competing company has done.

AMOLED displays, larger mobile screens, NFC, gorilla glass, wireless charging to name a few - and that's just the mobile space, because apple's computer lines have been generations behind the curve, bringing nothing new to the table for years, with only a handful of exceptions.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

He said almost the exact same thing a number of months ago (But it's hard to find because all search results are dominated by this). Wasn't refreshed since then, either, so no a lot of hope for this one.

IF they make a new one they should be able to make it absolutely tiny considering the level of hardware Apple feels is acceptable in a modern computer

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

IF they make a new one they should be able to make it absolutely tiny considering the level of hardware Apple feels is acceptable in a modern computer

I've always wanted a Radeon Pro 580 and 7980XE in a system the size of a DVD case...

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

I've always wanted a Radeon Pro 580 and 7980XE in a system the size of a DVD case...

xD don't we all, but that's not exactly practical.

If we use the MacBook (regular) as an example though, a 1.2 GHz Core m3 and no GPU is apparently appropriate for a machine that costs $1300 US.  Since it's pretty obvious that the vast majority of that cost is going toward profit/R&D, they should be able to pack that into an absolutely tiny cube.  Should be interesting.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

xD don't we all, but that's not exactly practical.

If we use the MacBook (regular) as an example though, a 1.2 GHz Core m3 and no GPU is apparently appropriate for a machine that costs $1300 US.  Since it's pretty obvious that the vast majority of that cost is going toward profit/R&D, they should be able to pack that into an absolutely tiny cube.  Should be interesting.

But I want to download a shit ton of anime to it, stick it with my physical collection, and not watch it for 2 years.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Considering Apple not only removed (they had this before which is why it's a big deal) the option for a quad core chip, and also killed off even basic upgradability such as RAM and the storage drive, then proceeded to completely neglect it, I would not recommend this Mac for anyone, unless you develop for iOS and for some reason needed a brand new Mac as cheap as possible.

Let's see if this new update will change my mind.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

14 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Considering Apple not only removed (they had this before which is why it's a big deal) the option for a quad core chip, and also killed off even basic upgradability such as RAM and the storage drive, then proceeded to completely neglect it, I would not recommend this Mac for anyone, unless you develop for iOS and for some reason needed a brand new Mac as cheap as possible.

Even if you're an iOS Developer who needs a cheap mac, I think you'll still be better off buying the MacBook Air or a used last gen MacBook Pro. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I would love a new MacMini. Its a cheap, compact, and well built system. 

If Apple does update them like Tim Cook says I would like to see:

Bigger size with better cooling

latest generation quad core+ Intel Core Processors

A competent AMD Radeon GPU (possibly the same power as the 15" MacBook Pros)

Intel Iris Graphics option

8, 16,and 32GB RAM options

One of their super fast SSDs with 256, 512, and 1TB options

4x Thunderbolt/USB-C ports for external storage and more monitors (no other Monitors outputs needed, just get a HDMI to USB-C Cable) 

2x USB 3.0 Ports 

Ethernet

WiFi (duh) 

Bluetooth 5.0

Shit I'd buy that. Get a Thunderbolt GPU for gaming and Boot Windows off an external SSD and bam. Thats a pretty bitchen Mac

I just realized......Buy literally the lowest configuration MacMini with a QuadCore and just use the Thunderbolt ports for your storage and your external GPU and use the GPU for your existing monitors and I'm sure your monitors have extra USB ports. 

It all works out! I would actually argue that this new MacMini would be the best Mac out there rn for a normal person. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

At least 32GB of RAM

One of their super fast SSDs

5x Thunderbolt/USB-C ports for external storage and more monitors (no other Monitors outputs needed, just get a HDMI to USB-C Cable) 

Ethernet

WiFi (duh) 

Price: Starting $599

Shit I'd buy that. Get a Thunderbolt GPU, Boot Windows off an external SSD and bam. Thats a pretty bitchen Mac

I would buy one in a heartbeat to replace my hack job of a desktop. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

43 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

The RAM argument is kinda moot for most people. Just stick to 8gb and you're good for life. The hard drive is a huge bummer on the other hand. Upgrading that would be nice.

9 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Intel Iris Graphics option

8, 16,and 32GB RAM options

One of their super fast SSDs with 256, 512, and 1TB options

5x Thunderbolt/USB-C ports for external storage and more monitors (no other Monitors outputs needed, just get a HDMI to USB-C Cable) 

Ethernet

WiFi (duh) 

Bluetooth 5.0

Shit I'd buy that. Get a Thunderbolt GPU, Boot Windows off an external SSD and bam. Thats a pretty bitchen Mac

That might be asking too much, at least at $599.  Thunderbolt 3 in particular isn't cheap, and even an entry-level GPU can hike prices.  Realistically, a Mac mini released today would have 8th-gen Core (including low-voltage for an entry-level model), integrated-only graphics, 8GB of RAM (16GB is a likely upgrade option, not so much 32GB), a 1TB spinning hard drive with Fusion/SSDs as options, and USB-C (not Thunderbolt 3) as the only general-purpose port.

Like it or not, Apple ultimately sees the Mac mini as a low-cost entry point into the Mac ecosystem, and that means keeping prices low overall, not just on the starting model.

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

That might be asking too much, at least at $599.  Thunderbolt 3 in particular isn't cheap, and even an entry-level GPU can hike prices.  Realistically, a Mac mini released today would have 8th-gen Core (including low-voltage for an entry-level model), integrated-only graphics, 8GB of RAM (16GB is a likely upgrade option, not so much 32GB), a 1TB spinning hard drive with Fusion/SSDs as options, and USB-C (not Thunderbolt 3) as the only general-purpose port.

Like it or not, Apple ultimately sees the Mac mini as a low-cost entry point into the Mac ecosystem, and that means keeping prices low overall, not just on the starting model.

Well I did remove that price suggestion. Even if Apple removed the dedicated graphics, as long as it had Thunderbolt 3 ports, at least 16GB of RAM, and a decently clocked quad-core 8th Gen CPU, and you paired it with an external GPU That would still be a extremely awesome system. 

I'd replace my PC with it tbh.   

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Well I did remove that price suggestion. Even if Apple removed the dedicated graphics, as long as it had Thunderbolt 3 ports, at least 16GB of RAM, and a decently clocked quad-core 8th Gen CPU, and you paired it with an external GPU That would still be a extremely awesome system. 

I'd replace my PC with it tbh.   

Thankfully, the external GPU will be an option.  High Sierra lays the groundwork for it, and I believe full-on support should be ready in 2018.  It'll be funny to see a Mac mini on someone's desk with a Razer Core (or a similar GPU enclosure) completely dwarfing it.

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

Thankfully, the external GPU will be an option.  High Sierra lays the groundwork for it, and I believe full-on support should be ready in 2018.  It'll be funny to see a Mac mini on someone's desk with a Razer Core (or a similar GPU enclosure) completely dwarfing it.

And not to mention a lot of the GPU enclosures have Daisy-Chain support so you could hook up even more stuff to it. But I’d rather be hooked right into the Mac if there are still ports available. 

And not to mention a lot of the GPU enclosures have Daisy-Chain support so you could hook up even more stuff to it. But I’d rather be hooked right into the Mac if there are still ports available. 

I won't be surprised in that case if Apple goes with Thunderbolt 3 in the mini to some extent, even if it's one lone, specially marked port where everything else is plain USB-C.

Just now, Commodus said:

I won't be surprised in that case if Apple goes with Thunderbolt 3 in the mini to some extent, even if it's one lone, specially marked port where everything else is plain USB-C.

I think they would do at least 2 TB ports. The rest Type C and they have shown that they are willing to have Thunderbolt/USB-C and USB 3.0. At least on the iMacs. 

Mac Mini (2018)

• i7-7700 HQ
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 256 GB M2 SSD
  • 50w total TDP
  • Ports: HDMI, USB-C x2
  • $899 ($999 for the 512 GB model)

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

1 minute ago, minervx said:

Ports: HDMI, USB-C x2

imo thats crap. 

HDMI is dead, at least for Macs. If you have an HDMI monitor just get a USB-C to HDMI cable. 

Also there is going to be at least 1 Thunderbolt 3 port on every Mac Apple makes in the near future. 

9 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

imo thats crap. 

HDMI is dead, at least for Macs. If you have an HDMI monitor just get a USB-C to HDMI cable. 

Also there is going to be at least 1 Thunderbolt 3 port on every Mac Apple makes in the near future. 

needs more dangles

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

its a dangle.  aka, another $20 add-on you have to buy.

Just now, minervx said:

its a dangle.  aka, another $20 add-on you have to buy.

Its a cable, not a Dongle. That's the end of it. 

its not a dongle.  its a dangle

1 minute ago, minervx said:

its not a dongle.  its a dangle

So long as we don't start needing dungles.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.