Apple Leak Reveals Massive New iPhone Cancellation

MiMi GaTTo

Apple Leak Reveals Massive New iPhone Cancellation

135313297429b8a66b069508000b1134?s=62&d=mm&r=g
Gordon Kelly , CONTRIBUTOR
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

Ming-Chi Kuo is back again. Widely regarded as “the bestApple AAPL +0.63% analyst on the planet”, the KGI Securities analyst has revealed Apple will make a massive cancellation to its new iPhones in 2018… 

In a report obtained by Macrumors, Kuo states that Apple has decided to “abandon” the much loved Touch ID fingerprint sensor and it will not feature in any of the next generation of iPhones.

IMG_20170813_182452-1-1200x800.jpg?widthGordon Kelly

iPhone X has no Touch ID and Apple will scrap it from all future iPhones as well

Instead Kuo states Touch ID will be completely replaced by Face ID, its exciting yet polarising facial recognition technology which will debut in the upcoming iPhone X. The logic behind this is Apple believes it has “a competitive advantage via differentiation” according to Kuo, who says it will take several years for Android-based rivals to match it.

Needless to say this is a huge gamble for Apple to make, especially before Face ID has even hit the market and it is likely to prove controversial for a number of reasons.

Firstly - even if it works as well as Touch ID - there are many scenarios where the physical action of unlocking your phone by looking at it will not be as convenient or as subtle as using a fingerprint. This includes everything from trying to align your face while walking or running, using Apple Pay at a checkout or even quietly browsing your phone under the table during a dull meeting.

Screenshot-2017-09-18-at-01.51.09.jpg?wiApple

Face ID on the iPhone X takes a three dimensional scan of your face

Secondly - while Apple promises it will not access your data - Face ID works by building a detailed 3D model of your face for identification. So if the idea of your phone collecting your fingerprints concerned you, then trading that for a digital record of the exact shape of your face is unlikely to be appealing.

Thirdly - biometrics work best in combination. For example: touching a fingerprint sensor while scanning your face. So Apple’s decision instead to swap one for the other does little to improve security over Touch ID, as tests have shown. And even Apple suggests Face ID should not be used by identical twins. Meanwhile is it better or worse that a thief needs your face or your finger to unlock your iPhone when stealing it?

Of course Face ID is extremely exciting technology and in the case of the iPhone X it enables some great secret features, but there’s simply no reason to completely scrap Touch ID. It can be integrated into the power button, the back of the phone or (soon) under the display, having both Face ID and Touch ID would provide owners with choice, flexibility and greater security.

Screenshot-2016-05-14-at-13.03.59-1200x7LG

Apple partner LG's new display integrates a fingerprint reader. So why not use it?

Still Apple appears to ‘think different’ and Kuo says 2018 iPads will add Face ID as well (presumably also at the expense of Touch ID), though there’s no word on it arriving on MacBooks and Macs yet.

Furthermore history tell us Apple is famed for its ruthlessness in discarding older technologies, so perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised, and its decisions are often justified in the long term.

But while Face ID may prove every bit as fast and accurate as Touch ID there’s currently no evidence that having to look at your iPhone to unlock it is any quicker or more convenient than the instantaneous muscle memory that lets us do this right now with our thumbs…

"We couldn't fit it on this model, and if we put it back on the next model it will expose the truth that we couldn't have the under-display fingerprint sensor ready in time, so instead we will just remove the feature forever"

- Probably someone at apple

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

"We couldn't fit it on this model, and if we put it back on the next model it will expose the truth that we couldn't have the under-display fingerprint sensor ready in time, so instead we will just remove the feature forever"

- Probably someone at apple

Then in 5 years they'll put it back in the IPhone XXX as "Dual Security -- an unprecedented advancement in mobile encryption"

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Touch ID > face ID. No ones been able to get into my phone via Touch ID so why replace a 100% working system and I’m not comfortable with face ID personally 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

3 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

so why replace a 100% working system 

Because TouchID embedded in the display of the iPhone X couldn't happen and there isn't a whole lot of reason (outside of a few niche cases) to add it after the fact if FaceID exists and works well.

and I’m not comfortable with face ID personally 

That's too bad because your Face being locked in the secure enclave on your phone is literally the least of your concerns.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Because TouchID embedded in the display of the iPhone X couldn't happen and there isn't a whole lot of reason (outside of a few niche cases) to add it after the fact if FaceID exists and works well.

That's too bad because your Face being locked in the secure enclave on your phone is literally the least of your concerns.

Well not everyone lives a 100% legitimate lifestyle and face Id is not a thing I need on my phone lol. I can always burn off my prints or mannipulate my fingers to change the print, can’t chang e a face so easily. While yes nsa has everyone’s face and everyone’s evening stored that we can do nothing about. But I guess this is why I still have a flip phone ;)

but it for face Id we can.

theu can easily add a button The back. Most iPhone cases leave a hole to see th apple logo so slap the Touch ID Sensor in that spot and it shouldn’t be an issue. Or even adding it to the side of the phone or implementing it in the volume buttons some how.

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

Well not everyone lives a 100% legitimate lifestyle and face Id is not a thing I need on my phone lol. I can always burn off my prints or mannipulate my fingers to change the print, can’t chang e a face so easily. While yes nsa has everyone’s face and everyone’s evening stored that we can do nothing about. But I guess this is why I still have a flip phone ;)

but it for face Id we can.

theu can easily add a button The back. Most iPhone cases leave a hole to see th apple logo so slap the Touch ID Sensor in that spot and it shouldn’t be an issue. Or even adding it to the side of the phone or implementing it in the volume buttons some how.

If your Face is already readily available to the NSA then what difference does having it locked locally on your own personal phone matter...Surely there is far more sensitive information on your phone than just your face (especially since your face is readily available -- especially to anyone who gets close enough to steal your phone). 

They could add it to the back, but I for one can say rear-fingerprint scanners suck, as do small scanners that require swiping like what would be required on the side of a phone.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Title is massive click bait...

Feature Removal =/= Massive iPhone Cancellation?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Title is massive click bait...

Feature Removal =/= Massive iPhone Cancellation?

AND he's only got one post.

AND he isn't following the forum rules.

AND we knew about this a month ago at the release event.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

18 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

If your Face is already readily available to the NSA then what difference does having it locked locally on your own personal phone matter...Surely there is far more sensitive information on your phone than just your face (especially since your face is readily available -- especially to anyone who gets close enough to steal your phone). 

They could add it to the back, but I for one can say rear-fingerprint scanners suck, as do small scanners that require swiping like what would be required on the side of a phone.

I feel like it’s easer  I spoof a face than a finger print. Just make a realict mask using a picture of the person from their social media, steal the phone and use the mask. Like a realistic Hollywood mask, 

while ues yes it’s far out there but people will do anything. 

I just won’t be using apple. The iPhone 8 was my one and probably only apple purchase I’ll make. 

Sucks that they are top in he phone game just because of how simple they are. Maybe if generates got smarter and not lazy we would have better improvements.

i know everyone who likes apple praises them for evey little thing they do just because they do it first or so it better, but doesn’t always mean it’s what should be done. 

Apple is is going for a apple only world where they control everything pretty soon we will be made by apple 

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

AND he's only got one post.

AND he isn't following the forum rules.

AND we knew about this a month ago at the release event.

It just means he didn’t read the rules. And honesty I didn’t read the rules either and like 70% of people don’t read rules until they break them. 

Spoiler

Lets wait till the iP X gets into customers hands before we all start throwing hands

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

I haven't even tried the fingerprint scanner on my phone yet, I simply put a PIN with scrambled layout on my lockscreen.  That takes (at most) a second longer to unlock and nobody can force you to provide your fingerprint or look at the phone to unlock it. 

1. Doesn't meet the posting guidelines, this is literally plagiarism

2. Clickbait title

3. We already knew this

3000th post!

28 minutes ago, Qwertious said:

Lets wait till the iP X gets into customers hands before we all start throwing hands

What? You want to throw your hands or the customers' hands? Rayman, is that you?

Also, how long until Google is praised for doing the same?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

FaceID would have to be hella good to get me remotely interested. Fingerprint sensors are fast, convenient and secure enough for me. Watch them add the fingerprint sensor back in a few years as a "dual security" wow your phone has never been this secure! 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

what difference does having it locked locally on your own personal phone matter..

It might tell me I'm gay. :/

I heard they can do that these days.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Clockwork_princess said:

Apple is is going for a apple only world where they control everything pretty soon we will be made by apple 

Google already owns and serves you half of your life. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers